1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Stifled Anger at Work Doubles Men's Risk for Heart Attack

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by pickymen, Dec 16, 2009.

Tags:
  1. pickymen

pickymen Contributing Member

Stifled Anger at Work Doubles Men's Risk for Heart Attack
    By Ed Edelson
    HealthDay Reporter by Ed Edelson
    healthday Reporter Tue Nov 24, 11:48 pm ET

MONDAY, Nov. 23 (HealthDay News) -- Men who bottle up their anger over unfair treatment at work could be hurting their hearts, a new Swedish study indicates.

Men who consistently failed to express their resentment over conflicts with a fellow worker or supervisor were more than twice as likely to have a heart attack or die of heart disease as those who vented their anger, claims a report in the Nov. 24 online edition of the Journal of Epidemiology and Community Health.

The rest of the article:
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/hsn/stifledangeratworkdoublesmensriskforheartattack

-----------------------------

Didn't find this posted.

I'm coping with job-related 'resentment' silently for the past years, having to deal with workplace bullies and stressed-up + irrational co-workers.

I'm not sure if I'll ever be an outspoken person to resolve such conflicts, but I plan to look around next month.

2. TeamUSA

TeamUSA Member

so true....

3. Master Baiter

Master Baiter Contributing Member

It's funny that you post this today because I want to inflict serious to mortal injury to the two douche bag guys that I have to "work with" in India. They are the most worthless pieces of **** to ever don the title of an IT professional. I've never met two more lazy and mentally incompetant, borderline r****ded, people than these two ass hats. If they were here in front of me right now, I would kick the living **** out of them.

My boss isn't far behind since he does nothing to fix the situation. I don't give a **** if we have a contract and it would cost my company more money to get rid of them, they would be fired, fired, fired. There has been more than enough evidence showing their gross lack of effort.

Suresh and Rajesh, if for some crazy ****ing reason you are reading this, **** YOU! BURN IN HELL! **** YOU AGAIN!

4. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Venting a day keeps the doctor away.

5. lalala902102001

So it's a good thing that Jeff Van Gundy quitted coaching after all...

6. Master Baiter

Master Baiter Contributing Member

I feel like Clark Griswold today

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/3vuVW78tCTM&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/3vuVW78tCTM&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

7. UTweezer

UTweezer Contributing Member

there are times at work when i want to grab a bat and smash my monitor or act out violently purely out of frustration....

best thing to do is get up, exit the building and take a walk...

8. LCII

LCII Contributing Member

That's why I yell and argue with my co-workers and underlings all the time. At the end of the day, our relationships are better without all the pent up and hidden resentment for each other. My bosses however...well, I guess I take out the anger from my bosses onto my co-workers/underlings. It's the chain of screaming as described in HIMYM.

9. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Power position = exception to all criticism= do no wrong. If workplaces practiced open door policy with management, it'd be better. But they're too egotistical for that, and they WILL use your off-the-record comments against you.

Or if they just let the coworkers hash it out amongst themselves with little involvement , no trying to micromanage, no judging the the outcome and picking sides, that would help things too. Depends on industry and size of the workforce as well...
    Right, like that. I got too many little fairies at my work place who cant handle a negative opinion. Or they cant take instruction without you being on their "good side" first. Its appeal as friends first/work second. Its like, uuh...I been here TWICE as longer than you, and you came into MY workspace? But once the manager shows favoritism toward that....

I think some of its women benefitting from a double standard. At least in my place. Sometimes women get handled with kid gloves from the onset, not as much pressure and expectations on them. And they're naturally given more room to be "expressive" cuz thats what "women do" (And talk half the workday away, cheating the system).

When a guy opens his mouth, its seen as being too "non-focused" preoccupied and distracted by externals, being disruptive or unruly. Which of course gets you more pissed at the boss for not realizing it all and raises the blood pressure more :) So cuz my company kept hiring more younger girls over months and years and basically p-whooped themselves, I'm supposed to cater to that when a result of these genius hires is they're giving me twice the work to do. Suuure...

10. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

"Its good . .. It's good" Clark Griswold

Rocket River
    been there!

11. Christopher

Christopher Member

My entire family is very bad at telling employers what we think about them, their job, their workmates and so on. We all have stories about telling people where to shove their job! :grin:

Personally I just couldn't stand for crap in a work place no matter what.

12. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Eh, I hate my job as much as the next guy but I can’t imagine letting it get to me that much. I give this place 40 hours a week and not a SECOND more – physically or mentally. As soon as I walk out of here at 4pm, I don’t even think about it again until 7 the next morning.

And as far as my coworkers…hell, I spend more time on here talking to you guys than I do them. Frankly, yall are a lot more interesting. I’m nice, professional, and polite to everyone I encounter here and everyone likes me…..but I really don’t let anyone here in. I like to keep my home and work life TOTALLY separate. You guys probably know more about me than my coworkers.....

Even if your boss/coworkers are nice to you at work, when it comes right down to it, they really don’t give 2 ****s about you. So why should you let them get to you?

When you’re on your deathbed, no one from work is going to be at your side. Not your coworkers, not your boss, not your underlings. And the people who really love you don’t give a frog’s fat ass about what you do for a living or what your annual salary is.

Work to live, don’t live to work.