1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Stevies comments on shooting percentage?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Bogey, Feb 19, 2004.

Tags:
  1. Bogey

Bogey Contributing Member

I'm surprised I haven't seen a thread on this yet. On 610 this morning they had comments from Francis about his shooting percentage going above 40%. He mentioned something along the lines that the media gave him a hard time about his low shooting percentage, but now that it just went above (barely) 40%, the media can kiss his @ss.

All I want to know is when did 40% become a good field goal %? This is like Ausmus complaining that he's getting no love for finally getting his batting average above the Mendoza line.

2. HeyDude

HeyDude Contributing Member

Francis: 40.3 compared to others:

Kidd: 39.2
    Hinrich: 39.6
    B. Davis: 38.7
    Billups: 38.7

Besides Cassel, Marbury, and Bibby, most are having pathetic shooting years. To his defense, Francis was hovering around 38% all year. If he finishes at a 42% clip by the end of year even with the long slump, i'll take it :cool:

3. Howyalikemenow

Loved his comment to the reporters.... "Kiss my A$$" :)

Way to go Stevie!!!

4. Bogey

Bogey Contributing Member

40% is the bare minimum that should be expected, not praised.

5. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

Its the sort of comment expected from a Street Person, not from a person of such stature.In any case the shooting percentage should not be a factor as his role is now that of Playmaker!

6. room4rentsf

room4rentsf Contributing Member

I think hes shooting much better..

For him to keep his FG% up.. he wont be jacking up all kinds of shots and that means he will make better decisions on his shot selection.

I think hes tired of people ragging on him for his shooting and not praising him when he shoots well. Just like people get on his back about losing but dont praise him when the team wins.

poor guy.. its been lose lose for him all season.

Show the guy some love.. hes been trying hard and we've been winning!

J

7. Toast

Toast Member

Well maybe we have higher expectations than fans of those guys have.

Stevie shot between 43 & 44% last year. Part of what makes him special is the ability to drain shots. He shouldn't compare his shooting % to those other guys, he should compare his shooting % to what he's capable of shooting.

And yeah, I agree with you. If he ends the season around 42% we'll be in great shape.

8. buddry

buddry Member

That is doubtful because our fans want to trade Steve for any of those guys above, except for maybe Billups.

9. sup123

sup123 Member

hope this dont want to make him keep jacking up shots now...let yao just shot steve.

10. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

What exactly is a "street person?" I've heard you use this term before. I'd like a clearer definition.

11. HeyDude

HeyDude Contributing Member

Agreed Toast. But the point is that he is actually in a season long slump, and still shooting higher % than those guys i posted.....here's to hoping he plays like he did beginning of last year :)

12. ckahlich001

ckahlich001 Member

CAREER AVERAGES COMPARED TO STEVE'S SEASON
    kidd 40%
    iverson almost 42%
    marbury 43%
    francis 43% (with this year at 41% and rising)

its really not so bad to have the media and soooo many houston fans trashing him. houston has some serious jerk fans. 42% at the end of the year would be good for anyone considering they have to play for houston fans.

again..in the appropriate words of vernon maxwell (who kept us alive in the playoffs against the suns which led to a championship) when asked about the houston fans when play off home games werent packed and selling out
    "Our fans our the worst. To Hell with Them"

13. Charvo

Charvo Member

Steve is last among Western Conference point guards in terms of regular field goal percentage and adjusted field goal percentage.

14. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

He's shooting better than Steve Blake. :D

15. Charvo

Charvo Member

In the prior season in which Steve had no injury problems and still with Rudy T coaching, Steve was 12th out 14th in terms of adjusted field goal percentage among Western Conference point guards. The guys who were shooting below his level were Gary Payton and Andre Miller, and they are both shooting better than Steve this year.

16. Charvo

Charvo Member

It's interesting that you bring him up because I am thinking that he could possibly be a Rocket next year if Van Gundy is seeing what I am seeing. Steve Blake has an adjusted field goal percentage of 46.5% this season. Steve Francis has an adjusted field goal percentage of 43.7%. Why do you say Francis is shooting better than a rookie in Steve Blake?

17. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Come on, lighten up. Stevie was being lighthearted. There was no aggression in his voice or body language.

It is a 100% NON - issue!

18. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

For him to get his season average over 40% after being well under for over a month, he had to shoot closer to 45% for a good while.

He's looked extremely good since January, and it is true that Blinebury and the rest haven't given him so much as a golf clap.

Evan

19. DavidS

DavidS Contributing Member

Since shooting skill became uncool since dunking was enough.

As far as the "media can kiss my a*s" comment....heh...not wise. He has no room to talk. He's bargaining with borrowed time.

It's not like he went from 38% to 48%.

20. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I'd rather look at points per attempt than adjusted field goal percentage. For his career, his style of attacking the basket can put points on the board with FTs even while his shooting percentage suffers (from noncalls).

In any case, given how low his % was for a half-season, it takes a while to increase it by even 1 percentage point. So, climbing from 38% to 40% is an achievement worth recognizing. It isn't that 40% is good, but just that he's been shooting well recently to improve a formerly very lackluster number.