1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Steve Novak = Tracy Murray

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rockets34Legend, Jul 12, 2007.

1. Rockets111

Rockets111 Member

I'm not exciting anything. I didn't say Novak will be a much greater player than Murray. I said he'll be better, period. Meaning, if Murray averaged 8 ppg and 3 rpg, I believe Steve will do somewhere around 10 ppg and 4-5 rpg. And yes, Murray played the 3 but let's not act like he was some shrimp compared to Novak. He was anywhere around 6'7"-6'8", just two inches shorter.

By watching the two play (and I saw a lot of Murray, because I liked his shooting ability), Novak, to me, is more mobile and swifter around picks and screens in terms of player movement. For example, Murray is someone who'd need a staggard double screen, simply because he wasn't quick enough (or didnt want to, either one) to get free by the initial screen. Steve has better timing on his pop-outs and makes better use of his screens. Again, my opinion. And that's because I just saw Steve play last year, in limited minutes. But a shooter is a shooter, there's no real trick. It's not we're discussing potential as an athlete or defender. If you're a great shooter entering the league, odds are in your favor you'll remain a great shooter. But if you're a poor shooter entering, odds are that you'll improve to a good shooter with the necessary hard work, but likely won't grow into a great, tremendous sharpshooter.

The bottom line, in reference back to this thread, is it's my belief Novak will be a better shooter and rebounder, and have a better career than Murray. I don't know why you're acting like Murray is Michael Jordan, and to compare the two in the first place is ludicrous since Novak is entering his second year on very little experience. But, going along with the thread, Novak does not equal Tracy Murray. It'd be fairer to give him consistent minutes first.

2. SamFisher

SamFisher Member

I suggest you do one of your film studies then again to see why simply being able to shoot in practice does not mean you are an NBA player.

I'm still cloudy as to your evaluation of Novak as a better, faster, stronger Tracy Murray. I have to believe that if the real Tracy Murray were more athletic and two inches taller, he'd have not just been the 19th pick but a top 5 selection. Yet here is Steve Novak, bigger, faster and stronger than Murray, yet consigned to the second round. The Rockets must really be magic at scouting.

Now you sound like the Spanoulis lobby. Minutes in the NBA are not an entitlement to second round scrubs, they are earned (unless you are Alston, in which case they are inherited). Novak did nothing to earn them except rather obviously be the worst (or, if Spanoulis was playing, second worst) player on the court when he was out there. And you're right, tracy murray was no michael jordan, but compared to Novak last year - he pretty much was.

Anyway - do you want to take my bet? if Novak does not last 12 seasons in the NBA, you must leave the board forever.

#42 SamFisher, Jul 13, 2007
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2007
  3. rimbaud

rimbaud Member
    Supporting Member

Tracy Murray played 12 seasons and averaged 9 points a game and shot about 39% from 3. His best season he put up 16 and 4(rbs). He also had some good years at Washington.

Thus far, Novak hasn't even been a good shooter in the NBA. He shot well last SL and last preseason but once the season started he could not shoot. That is his #1 priority before rebounding or defense. If he is supposed to be a deadly shooter then he needs to start making shots. Otherwise he is less than useless.

4. shoes529

shoes529 Member

Just got through watching the Summer League game from last night...novak should not be listed as 4 just because of his height, throughout the game just stuck to the three point line didnt show any desire to post up or rebound...plus cant take a guy in the summer league of the dribble...i think saying that steve novak is a one dimensional player is pretty accurate

5. DarkHorse

DarkHorse Member

Yeah, I was about to post this. Tracy Murray actually had a couple pretty decent seasons after he left the Rockets.

But yeah, Novak needs to step it up and get his confidence back.

6. BaMcMing

BaMcMing Member

He did drop 40 on Rudy Gay and UConn his senior year.

7. BaMcMing

BaMcMing Member

I think Novak is playing center. He's been listed there in the boxscore, and in their half court sets, he's triggering some of the action from the high post. Vlade and Sabonis were running a lot of Rick's sets from the high post.....

Now, Landry may be defending opposing centers, but it seems to me like Steve is playing the 5 on offense.

I find it odd how much bashing of Steve is going on in this thread. The guy has played 2 SL games and struggled. Its not the end of the world. In terms of mechanics and shot preparation, Steve is the best I have ever seen outside of Jon Barry and Allan Houston. He needs time to adjust, and get bigger. So far, he has had one year, of very limited playing time. This year, his PT will increase and he will continue on the curve.

Where is the love? He's still a kid