1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Steve Johns

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Greg#3, Jul 24, 2001.

1. Greg#3

Greg#3 Member

Tonight, I was at the Astros' game when they announced that Steve Johns had won some contest be the "Astros Fan of the Day" and he got to throw out the ceremonial first pitch. Mr. Hotshot walked to mound and stepped on the freakin rubber like he was Roy Oswalt. You NEVER EVER step on the rubber before the game because everyone knows that it's bad luck. Ted Williams didn't throw off of the rubber at the All-Star game a few years ago but Mr. Fan of the Day thought he could. The guys sitting behind were furious and called the Astros loss before the game started because you never win a game after that. Sure enough, we lost 6-2 and this guy caught hell for it the rest of the night because he commited the cardinal sin of first pitches.

Was anyone else at the game that noticed this? Just curious??

------------------
    President of the Eddie Griffin fan club.

Reggie McNeal will take A&M to the Big Game and I'll be there!!! Go Aggies!!!

2. Tolpatcsh Verkinder

I didn't know there were rules for first pitches. But then again I've never been in an oppurtunity to throw out the first pitch.

------------------
    It was the time of the preacher, in the year of '01
    Now the preachin' is over, and the lessons begun . . .

3. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Yes, that's the only reason why we lost this game. In fact, if we lose anymore games this year, we can blame it on this incident.

Please.

------------------
    When you make an assumption, you make an ass out of Uma Thurman.

4. outlaw

outlaw Member

why is there a condom on the pitcher's mound anyway? [​IMG]

------------------

5. Vengeance

Vengeance Contributing Member

Hey, I'm gonna agree with Greg on this one, unlike the rest of you naysayers [​IMG]

If this guy hadn't stepped on the rubber, we'd have won the game! I hope it hasn't cursed us for more than one game . . .

Bill Buckner is evidence that there must be baseball gods.

------------------
    I'm looking for a job, so hire me

"And I just have to smile and say 'well, I hope so' while I'm really thinking inside how I'd like to just strangle them and take their job."

6. Greg#3

Greg#3 Member

Thank you Vengeance. [​IMG] I knew somebody hear would actually understand baseball superstitions like that.

------------------

7. Tolpatcsh Verkinder

But are you sure it applies to first pitchers? I thought that was an event that happened outside of the actual game itself, and the first pitchers weren't expected to know, or follow baseball superstitions.

------------------
    It was the time of the preacher, in the year of '01
    Now the preachin' is over, and the lessons begun . . .

8. Greg#3

Greg#3 Member

That is who it specifically applies to!! The ceremonial first pitch should be from the edge of the mound, not from the rubber.

Vengeance - Were you at the game?

------------------

[This message has been edited by Greg#3 (edited July 24, 2001).]

9. Francis3

Francis3 Member

LOL!

------------------
    "The girls danced, started fondling me, I got aroused, they performed oral sex," Ewing said. "I hung around a little bit and talked to them, then I left."

10. Vengeance

Vengeance Contributing Member

Nah, I wasn't, but your account is great! They need to just rip that rubber right out of the ground, and put a new one down [​IMG]

They should tell these guys what's up before they go out there.

------------------
    I'm looking for a job, so hire me

"And I just have to smile and say 'well, I hope so' while I'm really thinking inside how I'd like to just strangle them and take their job."