1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Steve Francis: Start Me or Trade Me

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by apostolic3, Mar 22, 2006.

1. apostolic3

apostolic3 Member

http://www.nypost.com/sports/knicks/63406.htm

FRANCIS AIM: STARTING JOB NEXT YEAR OR TICKET OUT

By BRIAN LEWIS

Email Archives
    Print Reprint
    Feeds Newsletters

March 22, 2006 -- Steve Francis made it clear: By next season, if he's not starting, he'd rather be departing.

The Knick guard yesterday said he'll willingly go to the bench when Quentin Richardson returns, which ironically could come tonight at Orlando, the team that just traded him a month ago.

But three-time All-Star added that, if he's not starting next season, the Knicks should trade him.

Then, after Larry Brown said Francis would have to earn back his job in training camp, Francis went out and spit the bit in a the Knicks' 114-109 loss to Toronto.

Stevie Franchise? Try Stevie Disenfranchised.

"Hopefully next year it'll change," said Francis, who had only come off the bench three times in his career before this season. "This summer we'll be able to evaluate more what my role is. I don't plan on coming off the bench next year.

"If it's a situation where they don't feel I'm a starting player on this team, it'll be good to go in a different direction.

"It's not a big issue now. [November] is when it'll be an issue. I'm not trippin' on it."

Brown's response?

"I'm happy he wants to start. That's why you have training camp," said the Knick coach, who praised Francis' willingness to come off the bench. "He'll be in a position to earn the right to play. I'm glad he wants to be in that position."

Francis has struggled with Brown's disciplined, half-court system, averaging just 12.4 ppg with the Knicks. He didn't score until 1:28 left in the half, and got showered with boos after back-to-back turnovers in the third. And his defense on Mike James, who barely broke a sweat scoring 37 points, was even worse.

After James made Stephon Marbury look silly with a crossover and basket with 4:43 left in the half, Brown put Francis on James. But after the Amityville, L.I., native dominated Francis even worse; and after a half-hearted effort fighting through a third-quarter screen, Francis played just one minute in the fourth.

"We're not playing an open style. We're more ball movement, and Larry's not much different," said Magic assistant GM Otis Smith. "I don't think he's lost confidence. He's just still adjusting to different styles."

Brown acknowledged that Francis has struggled in the halfcourt and when playing off the ball, but insists he can co-exist with Marbury.

"Right now it's a struggle. The more I see him the more I think he needs the ball on the break, running the team; and it's hard when you come in midseason. He's going to need training camp," Brown said. "They could be very effective, but I'm trying to figure out how.

"When Pearl [Monroe] came I don't think it was smooth from the start with Clyde [Frazier]. Guys have got to make adjustments and sacrifice. I'm sure Red [Holzman] had to get an understanding of how to use them. Hopefully we'll find that."

brian.lewis@nypost.com

2. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

Good lord, I'm having a hard time thinking of any other example of a career exploding like this without an injury. Best I can think of Nick Anderson pre and post free throws...

Next headline: Steve Francis signs with Real Madrid, excited about fresh start.

Evan

3. shawn786

shawn786 Member

Steve being Steve

4. cson

cson Contributing Member

No surprises. Talk to Vancouver.

5. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

6. forchette49

forchette49 Contributing Member

Where do I start...

Please, somebody sign Mike James to that long-term contract so he can stop playing so well, this is getting really old, I'm sick of hearing about how bad we screwed up by trading for Alston. Trust me, if this wasn't the Rockets ER year, all the winning would have us totally forgetting about James. Alston is the passer and floor general we need, defensive-minded, not really, but he does get his steals and fair share of loose balls. Alston, with T-Mac and Yao for next year will be amazing...

Swift is the only bust, but I'm still willing to give him more time, especially with Deke not coming back...

Francis uncomfortable with a slow-it-down-half-court set? Hmmm...

Francis will get his wish to start next year as a T-Wolve IMO...

7. nappdog

nappdog Contributing Member

Zeke for general manager of the year!!!

8. JumpMan

JumpMan Contributing Member
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

This is so sad, the worse thing about it is that it erases all the good he accomplished here in Houston, people pretty much think he's a scrub now when he was one of the better PGs in the league here in Houston. I mean, all you guys acting like this is the norm for Steve, well, you guys can't be more in the wrong with those claims, don't revise history, he maximized his talent here in Houston. When he was healthy, the Rockets won more than they lost, no they didn't make the playoffs every year, but if having a above .500 record is an indication of winning then that is exactly what he did here. Individually, back when he cared he was one of the better playmaking PGs in the league, whether by scoring or passing, he was one of the best rebounding PGs in the league, and he was an OK defender.

It just sucks to be a fan of his right now, he doesn't even care, and his play is embarrassing for all the fans who supported him, until he starts caring again I won't support him, but I won't **** on his years here in Houston no matter what he does elsewhere.

9. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

I hope this doesn't mean we'll start seeing SF3 back to Rockets threads .....

10. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

Paying him that kind of money I would start him.

11. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Francis is right. He's too good a player to waste on the bench. If NY wants to bring him off the bench, they'd be better served trading him for a couple good roleplayers.

12. underoverup

underoverup Member

stevie could be really good on a run and gun team like the suns with him playing shooting guard. i do feel a little bad for him because he has been put in terrible situations on the magic and the knicks. :(

13. Pipe

Pipe Contributing Member

The most idiotic and offensive part of that story didn't come out of Steve's mouth ... it was Brown comparing the SF and Starbury situation to Earl and Clyde. Second was Brown saying Steve needed the ball on the break. He must be getting senile. :rolleyes:

14. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Thank goodness, the Rox and the Knicks never do trades!!!

15. SirCharlesFan

SirCharlesFan Contributing Member

I don't think this is really all that big of a deal. I mean, after all, Steve is definitely a starting calibur player and you're wasting him if you want him to come off of the bench and play limited minutes on a crappy team. He's not throwing a fit about it this season--just saying that it would be better for both parties if he started next year or got traded.

16. KellyDwyer

KellyDwyer Contributing Member

Heard him whining about it last night after the game.

My beef comes from this part:

"start me, or trade me."

What? Steve, you play for the Knicks. You're supposed to say "trade me, please, trade me. Trade me, trade me, trade me. This is the worst basketball organization East of Yakima. Trade me, trade me, trade me. I'm in hell."

THAT, I can respect. Who would want to start on this team?

17. tiger0330

tiger0330 Contributing Member

Its LB thats the frigging idiot, Zeke said it was coach's idea to get him. It will be interesting what they do in the off season, maybe it was the plan to dangle both Starbury and SF as trade bait and wind up with the one they couldn't trade. I hope the Knicks get stuck with them both, if they do Alice in Wonderland will be repeated again next season.

18. pradaxpimp

pradaxpimp Contributing Member

hard to start based on that. U got 13 guys with max contracts.

19. a-rock

a-rock Member

well, that didnĀ“t take long...

from fan favourite to headcase in less than two years...

20. tigermission1

tigermission1 Contributing Member

Ouch! Mike James killed Stevie (and every other Knicks guard) kind of like how he made Rafer Alston his bit**.

Mike James is taking the league by a storm this season, gotta admire the hell out of his fighting spirit and determination to get that money he so badly wants.