1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Steubenville Rape Case

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by So Good, Jan 2, 2013.

1. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

rape is not the same as murder. Ask the girls parents whether they'd rather have had her been murdered instead of being raped and alive.

2. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Contributing Member

That's a pretty ham-fisted interpretation of the law. What's the thought process on why she 'needs' to be charged?

3. JD88

JD88 Member

Because she broke the law. If you don't charge her, then make the legal drinking age 14 because you really can't charge anyone else.

4. JD88

JD88 Member

Did she break the law or not? Its a simple question. I don't care what she did before or after, or what she ate for breakfast or if she feels bad about it or if she learned her lesson.

Did she or did she not break the law. Yes or no.

5. JD88

JD88 Member

Ageeed. I think a confirmed rape should be tried the same as murder

The scenario still applies. After I hit your wife (assault) does that excuse you from being charged for beating me to a pulp (assault)?

If I go drink and drive and am hit by another drunk driver at a red light, does that excuse me from driving intoxicated?

You are trying to pick and choose when to enforce the law, guy.

6. fallenphoenix

fallenphoenix Contributing Member

technically she did, but kids get away with warnings all the time.

i got pulled over for speeding the other day. did i break the law? yes, but he let me go with a warning.

yea... cops do that....

7. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

8. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

Yeah, they do that all the time with minor offenses.

9. fallenphoenix

underage drinking is a minor offense. when they bust high school parties they don't give everyone there a ticket

10. JD88

JD88 Member

I was an MP. I know what they do.

I did it all the time, but when it came to domestic disputes, bar fights, etc. I charged everyone. Maybe after having to face some sort of punishment they will think twice about calling me to come out and fix their problems.

11. PinkTacos

PinkTacos Member

seriously underage drinking is not a big deal...hell cops have caught me drinking underage and let me off with a warning twice and a couple of my friends have been caught too but got off with a warning...usually its the cops discretion...

12. fallenphoenix

we aren't talking about bar fights or domestic abuses. we are talking about underage drinking.

13. JD88

JD88 Member

Because they're too lazy to do the paperwork. Thus, nobody learns a lesson. Not saying she didn't learn hers, but with the amount of repeat offenders a slap on the wrist doesn't amount to much.

If two people punch each other, they both get assault charges. If two people hit each other with bar stools, they both get aggravated assault charges.

I see what you're saying that she had a traumatic experience and therefore doesn't need to be charged.

14. Major

Major Member

They tried to create a death penalty for rape in Texas at one point before people realized that it would create perverse incentives. It encourages a rapist to then murder his victim, as it makes it less likely he'll get caught, and the penalty is the same.

15. PinkTacos

PinkTacos Member

Heres the thing...its hard for most to even report a rape (two of my friends were raped and they never reported) and you wanna punish them further...this will make it harder for other victims to come forward if they have to worry about be punished for under age drinking...what you are saying makes no sense...

16. fallenphoenix

i'm saying in general people don't often get charged with that offense, and in this case it's an especially irrelevant notion that she should be charged.

17. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

You seriously need to STFU.

18. JD88

JD88 Member

So some laws are ok to break then? Got it.

Petty theft included in that? PI? Reckless driving? Prostitution? Where do you draw the line?

19. fallenphoenix

i'm saying each situation needs to be looks at subjectively.

20. codell

codell Contributing Member

Ditto.

It's clear he wants the victim punished in some way.