1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Live Rockets Discussion
    Trading Sengun? Stop me if you've heard me talk about this one. We're talking #Rockets LIVE right now ...

Talking Rockets - LIVE!
  3. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

Stern should get this picture!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rocketjf, Nov 6, 2005.

Tags:
  1. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

He was pushed in the back by the other referee. Mason only moved his feet to maintain balance and not fall on his face. Do you see that now that I mention it?

EDIT: And I still don't see why you think the natural motion of Mason jerking his arm free would hit the ref. People don't rip their arms away by moving them straight forward. The natural instinct is to move your arm across your body (to the left in Mason's case) and downward. That's not where the ref was standing.

#61 ClutchCityReturns, Nov 6, 2005
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2005
  2. Man

Man Contributing Member

I don't think he punched Yao..based on the video.
    But someone should have kicked his a$$ for flipping Yao over. :mad: :p
    I used to like Desmond Mason..not anymore

3. codell

codell Contributing Member

Exactly.

Look at the video.

Down...... and to the left

Of course, there may have been a 2nd hitter over near the glassy goal.

I smell a conspiracy.

4. Yonkers

Yonkers Contributing Member

Hahah. Awesome. :)

5. moomoo

moomoo Member

this is hard to judge just from looking at the 1:16 mark due to the camera angle, but if you look around the 2:25 mark, it becomes a little more convincing that mason did not swing at yao intentionally.

after mason tosses yao, it looked like mason was standing straight up, not that close to yao. the only reason he then moves closer to yao and bends over yao is because juwan pushes him. while he was getting pushed is when the arm motion occurs. if juwan hadn't pushed him it looks like he might have just stood straight up and given yao a nasty stare down maybe. like others have said, i don't think the arm motion was a punch like i first thought when watching the game on TV live, instead was a reaction to being rag-dolled by howard.

oh, and yao is a wuss.

6. jeremyang2002

jeremyang2002 Contributing Member

Yao can punch Mason.
    And he will get suspended.

Rockets will still be a great team without Yao&TMac.

7. TECH

TECH Contributing Member

Yao is not a wuss. He's smart, and has self-control. If Mason had smitten the other cheek, Yao may have suplexed him. :p

8. rocketman1979

rocketman1979 Contributing Member

:mad: your just a punk. Yao doesn't need to get suspended to prove anything to you mamahuggin asshoe

9. jeremyang2002

jeremyang2002 Contributing Member

That slipping over can easily broke Yao's arm even hurt his head.

What a great weekend!

TMac out for 3 weeks.

Yao got flipped over and punched. And it wasnt Mason's fault.

Rockets lose to Hornets for the second time in the last week.

10. barryxzz

barryxzz Contributing Member

sigh. it seems being nice and calm = being soft in people's mind. I firmly believe Yao has guts as a basketball player (in all aspects). Just remember how he performed in Olympics, or even the recent Asian games (his chin bleed pretty bad during one game).

And I hardly feel annoyed by hearing people say Yao soft any more. If you can't see or don't believe Yao has "it" in him then it's your problem, not Yao's, not Rockets'.

11. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

I don't see what the big deal of in any of this. Heat of the battle, Mason got upset and overreacted. Howard came in to protect his teammate and it pissed Mason off. When Yao and Mason when to the jump ball, they hugged, shook hands and that was it.

The NBA is so mild today compared to what it was back in the early 80's. That era made this altercation look like two girls waving hankerchiefs at each other.

It was one small incident. It's over. No harm done to anyone. It's a part of the game.

12. Jonhty

Jonhty Member

agreed. thanks for pointing the latter part out. It gives a better idea what's going on.

true. but he's probably better off staying that way. Yao can't fight. He'd look much worse getting beat badly in a fight than backing off.

13. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

:D :D

After seeing the vid that bob posted I can tell now that he wasn't punched IMO. Juwon pushed him off balance.

14. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

15. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

The game seemed to turn after that. Yao was clearly dominating the game at that point and he was never really the same after that.

1. Mason should have been ejected.
    2. A tech should have been applied to the Hornets.
    3. The Rockets should have shot a free throw shot.
    4. And I am not sure but I think since a jump ball was called, if Mason is the guy that would be jumping for the Hornets and he gets tossed then the Rockets get to choose who jumps for the Hornets.

Unfrortunately nothing was called and Yao was a non-factor from that point on with the exception that he could not hit a shot after that. And yes I do believe the fight effected Yao's game.

16. leonking

leonking Rookie

I dont think Stern will punish Mason for this. What happened when Malone enbowed D.Robison and S.Nash? Nothing! We cant blame him since we all know he is not intentional, which you can see from his eyes and movement, right?

That also happened the day before yesterday when Artest sent Shaq home for 4 weeks. Anything happen? No, he is not intentional! that's the whole story.

So just clam down folks. Send this silly picture to Stern? Are you kidding? Just a punch in the head. Save your energy when this happend to Tmac's back or Yao's toe. We all know this will happen sooner or later as we have expected. Then we can send them to Lakers and get C Odom and K Brown, the really SF and C we need for the championship. Go Rockets!

PS: I am also a Yao fan and supporter, and have no ties or lotalty toward XXXXX whatsoever. However, I strive to be objective in situations like this and I don't see the problem with it.

17. mleahy999

mleahy999 Member

Yao is lucky to have Juwan separate them. I have no doubt that Mason would've ass whipped Yao. It's good to see Yao make nice with Mason after he tossed him like that. He's no fool.

18. RAID

RAID Contributing Member

#78 RAID, Nov 6, 2005
  19. NewYorker

NewYorker Ghost of Clutch Fans

I looked at the second video - which is much clearer the first The swing clearly missed (but in the first one I had initially thought it was a hit)

I am sure Mason will get suspended for 10 games and fined. Anyway, the league takes this stuff pretty seriously.

Also, if Rocket's bench players stepped off - then there will be more suspensions.

#79 NewYorker, Nov 6, 2005
  20. ToothYanker

ToothYanker Contributing Member

It would have been interesting if neither side got involved and Mason was set loose to go after Yao. It's honestly up in the air as to what would have happened. Yao's got a full foot and 100 lbs on Mason yet Mason was steaming mad.

The more I think about it, the more I tend to agree that Yao's a huge wuss.