1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Stern reports there is a cia filter on the All Star voting for Ming

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by carlit0, Dec 25, 2002.

1. carlit0

carlit0 Member

Basically he is tell everybody that Ming will not start over Shaq in the NBA allstar game.

I heard this during the blow game (Nets vs Celtics.)

Stern said when asked about the possibility of Ming starting over Shaq: Stern said that there is a CIA filter on the All Star voting to control the millions of computer overseas.(Who know what he means with CIA, but that is what he said.)

BS....

2. pcheung

pcheung Member

Stern was joking.

3. Like A Breath

Like A Breath Member

I confirm that he was joking. Or else he wouldn't be laughing, now would he?

4. youAndMe

youAndMe Member

I don't think CIA can literally filter the votes. They could only block certain IPs. And it's extremely difficult to detect those votes from anonymous proxy servers.

5. carlit0

carlit0 Member

I would be surprised if Ming did not win with his hugh fan base.
    And this would only be because this vote had to be controlled like it already has.
    The NBA already delayed the release of the first voting #'s, a couple of weeks, compared to last year when they can out.

There is no way that Ming cannot get enough votes to beat Shaq, especially now that Shaq team is below .500.

Go MING!!!

6. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

The way Ming is, if he were to be voted the starting center, he probably would give it up to shaq. I remember when AC Green started over mailman in 88. That was the same yr Malone was averaging about 29pts and 11 rebs per. I also remember when Kobe was voted as a starter and didn't even start on his own team.

7. carlit0

carlit0 Member

Now that would be Pimp for Ming's popularity and cool for the league.

Maybe....

8. DreamWeaver

DreamWeaver Member

CIA filter? ;) Yeah, let's get those commie.

Seriously, I think Stern realizes too that it is in NBA's best interest to have Yao in the ASG.

9. LAfadeaway33

LAfadeaway33 Member

Does a player have the option of being able to give his starting spot to a more deserving player?

10. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

So let's get out there and rock the vote 2002....

11. LiLStevie3

LiLStevie3 Member

I believe so. I remember in the mid to late 90's, Hakeem, being the gracious guy he is, gave up his starting spot to David Robinson.

12. SLA

SLA Member

I would rather see Shaq. Yao will get his playing time as well. I hope he loses by like one vote and everyone will be happy. Where is the All Star Game being held? Atlanta?

13. shanghaistu

shanghaistu Member

Are you suggesting that Shaq is a more deserving player? :eek:
    I think he is a better player when he is on his game, but not a more deserving player this year. He waited till the summer was over to have surgery, put on lots of weight, and then when his team still sucked after his come back he blasted them as a bunch of scrubs in the press.
    Yao, meanwhile, has done everything expected of him and way more this year. No one should complain if he wins the vote -- he is more fun to watch, more dedicated to the game, and he is having a better season:eek:

14. The Sensei

The Sensei Contributing Member

Yao is definitely deserving of the starting spot for the ASG.

Hell, Yao's team was able to beat the Kings this season. Can't say the same for Mr. Oneal.

I'm not basing it on how each of these centers played against the Kings, but still... Ming is only a 22 yr old rookie, and yet he's helped his team beat some powerhouse's in the NBA. Shaq has helped his team to a very poor start. Ming for all-star Starter!!!

15. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

I hope Shaq wins. He deserves it this year. Maybe by next year Yao will deserve it. Yao does deserve to be on the team, just not as the starter.

16. Wakko67

Wakko67 Contributing Member

I don't know if I like rookies starting the game and I do believe that right now Shaq is worthy of starting, but The Shanghai Shark is probably the biggest reason we're doing so well right now. Everyone always talks about a team's record being a factor in these type of things, then why is it not factor now. If Yao keeps it up through late January at least, there is no reason for him to not be on the team.

I just hope Steve's with him. :confused:

17. chievous minniefield

chievous minniefield Contributing Member

I think it would be cooler for Yao to be picked as a sub by whoever coaches the team.

for Yao, this year, I think that would be more of an honor.

18. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

when are they going to release the votes though.:confused:

19. fruithater

fruithater Member

where do you even come up with the "CIA filter" crap? since when does this issue concern national security?

All he said was that there is a filter in place to keep people from stuffing the ballots. So all you people who voted repeatedly by clearing your cookies probably had your votes rejected.

20. Rochut

Rochut Member

Contrary to what some po\eople might think, Stern is capable of humor!:eek: