1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Stereotype or just Ignorant?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by MoBalls, Oct 13, 2008.

Tags:
  1. MoBalls

MoBalls Contributing Member

So I’m working outside in front of my garage this weekend. I’m dressed in a tee shirt, cargo shorts and sandals. A lady in a Mercedes SUV drives by and stops right in front of my home. She rolls down her window and asks me….”Excuse me, do you live here?” and points towards my house. I look at her and smile….”Yes, I do live here…..” Then before I finish answering she says, “because I was needing someone to sand and re-stain my front door also.” I looked at her and said, “I’m sorry but I don’t do this on the side.” After she left, I thought about it and got a little angry. I started to think about the many stereotypes that are made against my race. We all have them and have all assumed things before.
    Oh and before she drove off she told me that she lives around the corner. If I know anybody please send them her way.
    It’s kind of funny to me now…..but man, some people don’t know when they are offending someone.

Has anything like this happened to you? Would you have been mad?

2. krnxsnoopy

krnxsnoopy Contributing Member

Maybe you're overreacting

3. MoBalls

I didnt react......... :(

4. Fatty FatBastard

LOL. Umm, this thread would be a reaction...

5. Rox_fan_here

Rox_fan_here Contributing Member

6. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

I take it you were sanding something in front of your garage, since you said "I don't do this on the side".

Maybe she thought you were a carpenter, or just happened to be handy with a sander. Or maybe she really did want you to stain her front door, if you know what I'm sayin'.

7. no_answer

no_answer Member

Hah. I have a similar story. An old white lady that lives across the street asked if my bro-in-law or anyone "over there" (that also lives on our street) knew how to install shutters. Yes, of course he does! All mexicans know how to do labor work. :rolleyes:

8. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

eh, I don't know if that's necessarily a stereotype or ignorance. Maybe she would have asked anyone who was outside doing the work that she needed done if that was their job.. If she needs something done and doesn't know how to find it, why not go after what seems like an opportunity?

So I don't think it should be seen as offensive.. seeing as how you were actually doing the work. No stereotype was made as far as anyone knows (though I'd say more often than not, race probably enters the person's mind.. but no way to really know)

9. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

maybe she really just wanted some penis of color, and you completely misread her cues.

10. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

If I had to guess, sounds like a white lady to me. Only because I've only encountered this type of "ignorant racism" with the Whites. Worst part is that they don't even realize they are being racist or offensive.

11. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

Did you have an orange vest on? :confused:

Dile, m'ijo, dile! :D

You knew I would make an appearance in this thread.

Of course I hate it.

Once, when I went to Sears, I was looking for a weed-eater. I looked at all the different models, and I called the associate to assist me. He was an older, mid-40s black guy and looked like he was the manager of the place. Come to think of it, I should have reported his ass for his comments... darn it. He goes: "You should get this one... it's cheap... " [that wasn't the comment that irked me, but needed for this] so I said "no, I don't want a cheap one, I want one of those better ones that work for a long time... that's why I came to Sears." So he goes "Oh, you want one of them that those Mexican guys use in those lawn companies... right?" <- this pissed me off, but I stayed cool and returned him the favor: "No, I don't want one of those, I want one that the black dudes use... you know, the ones that do all the work for them 'cuz they don't want to do any real labor?" "Uh, I didn't mean it like that, sir." I stayed cool: "Me neither. Thanks for your assistance. I don't need you anymore." And I left... I bought one at ANOTHER Sears later that day.

12. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

How many cars did you have parked in your driveway, on your curb, and on your lawn? Did you turn down the loud stereo with the tejano music blaring in the background when you talked to her, she probably couldn't hear your answer and therefore the misunderstanding...

13. no_answer

no_answer Member

Oh, I just thought of another story! One time my bro-in-laws were outside doing something and drove by and asked if they knew how to install a fan. They didn't, but they still went to their house, did it & got paid. :) (not a white couple)

14. meggoleggo

meggoleggo Contributing Member

I try to give people the benefit of the doubt - let's just pretend she's ignorant.

15. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

So you're saying all white people drive Mercedes SUV's? :mad: :mad: :mad:

16. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Hispanic?

I think you are over reacting. She probably has no clue who stains doors, so she asked you if you could do it.

17. EssTooKayTD

EssTooKayTD Contributing Member

Stereotypes exist for a reason. She's just playin the percentages dude! haha just kiddin.

Well when I read your post, it certainly could have been that she was trying to ask you if you could refer someone to her since you had your done. She might not have assumed you did it yourself?

18. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Oh come on, she saw you working on your door, doing something she wants done, and was asking if you were hired to do the job or lived there?

What is the big deal?

Oversensitivity meter = 10.

DD

19. MoBalls

Maybe I was being a little over sensitive. Ive also been asked before if I do yards in our neighborhood. I was cutting my grass. :confused:

IMA, She was a black woman. LOL

I'm Hispanic. I live in a nice home....no cars or furniture on my lawn.....no Tejano music. I did have Stevie Ray playing though.

20. xcharged

xcharged Member

nope, sounds like she just wants someone to work on her door.