1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Stephon Marbury refuses to play

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by tiger0330, Nov 21, 2008.

1. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

the fans?

it's Staphon who refuses to accept a buyout. He won't accept anything less than what he thinks the Knicks owe him.

so whether he refused to play, or whether he was given a choice, Staphon should have played in that game. if the Knicks should pay him what they owe him, the dude should play when his number is called...

and no, I don't think giving him a role playing opportunity will change his entire outlook on the game of basketball.

it didn't work for AI in Denver, did it?

2. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

And why should he? If he made a mistake and signed some deal way below market value, then you wouldn't be upset at the team for not ripping up the contract and paying him market (i.e. Scottie Pippen vs the Chicago Bulls). It goes both ways.....

The team has a right to tell him you aren't in our plans so sit here and shut up, or take less money if you want to leave. And he has a right to say I'm not going in, so suspend me if you like. I admit he is acting like an ass, but so were the Knicks.....so they get no pity from me.

3. across110thstreet

this is where we disagree, he doesn't have that right as long as he is still receiving the paycheck that he is demanding.

you say it goes both ways, I agree.

so suit 'em and boot 'em, Staphon

4. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

He should take a little bit less to get his freedom so he can sign with a team that wants him.

DD

5. across110thstreet

^^

and this is where we do agree

6. Apollo Creed

Apollo Creed Contributing Member

Actually, he is completely within his rights to not play if he is okay with the possibility of suspension without pay. It's not an agree/disagree situation. If he doesn't want to play he doesn't have to.

7. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

well dantoni felt he didn't need to play for the money. I don't have a problem with marbury doiing, it was his one chance to say you screwed me, and you're gonna pay at least today. but I would try to be the bigger man, that would make dantoni look a lot worse. now he was just proven right

8. across110thstreet

^^

great, more power to him. that will really help his case and give him the leverage he needs to negotiate the buyout which he will not accept.

this whole situation is one big :rolleyes:

9. Tree-Mac

Tree-Mac Contributing Member

He shouldn't complain one bit, even if they made him a cheerleader. That's $22M!!! :eek: It's paid for him to be in game shape ready to play. That does not mean he should get playing time. Isn't it even better to not play and still make that money? Would you complain if your company pays you to just sit around all year long and use you only when they are shorthanded? Being a well known guy like he is, it's not like he'll be underpaid if he's traded later or he'll lose his skills.

10. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

I'm not sure we have this right. From what i see Marbury was OFFERED playing time. Dantoni said the minutes are there if you want them. He said, no thank you and it was over. I wouldn't consider that a refusal.

And I can't believe people are trying to gripe about his contract (i guess they always do). He didn't force anyone into that, New York gladly took it on. And regardless of how much of a loser you think he is i would say he's a tad better than Duhon, so he should be playing. So he underperformed his contract, big woop, thats the chance you take. I hope he gets every red cent left on his contract.

If anything he did them a favor by not getting on the court. He could have went in and intentionally played terrible.

11. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I don't see any blame for either party here. It sounds like Marbury would have played if they called his number, but told them he didn't want to play. I can understand not wanting to play in that sort of situation -- 1 or 2 games with no chance of getting future playing time. Since he hasn't been involved, he hasn't cohered with the team and would more than likely hurt his stock by playing.

12. worzel gummidge

It's not what he thinks the Knicks owe, it is what the Knicks do owe him.

13. dakeem1

dakeem1 Member

I see Marbury's point in all of this, however it is such a stupid decision he has taken.

It is pure pride that made him choose not to play. Pride is a normal human trait and I'm sure many of us would do the same in that position.

That-being-said, the decision he has made is not smart because he has a bad rep as it is. Unless he wants to kill his career, he needs any minutes he can get and then blow away the competition in those minutes so that the NBA GM's want to sign him.

You gotta be smart abotu these things, and Marbury ain't.

14. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

D'Antoni: There'se 20, 25 minutes for you if you want to play.
    Marbury: You've told me you're going in another direction and I'm not in the plans.
    D'Antoni : *smile on his face* "I totally understand it, I get you''

:confused:

Marbury, not the bigger man. D'Antoni, gave no re-assurance to Marbury's concern, just went on about his business.

Goodness

15. redao

redao Member

I think Marbury made the smart decision. Why play for them when you can safely collect your paycheck? It is just a business.

16. knickstorm

knickstorm Member

you think marbury wants to get paid to sit around? he did his work in the off-season, he practiced, had a good pre-season and basically was told "yea you're doing everything right, but you're not in our plans, so just sit there"...............and all of a sudden one day it's "hey we're short, why dont you play"

i wouldnt play either if i was him.

17. tiger0330

tiger0330 Contributing Member

cheerleader - he doesn't do that well either, just sits on the bench and mopes.

18. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

For years now, the company you work for has been going down hill. You were the guy they brought in to bring this company to the top but that never happened. This year is different, a new boss has been hired. So your boss comes to you and says, "We're moving in another direction and you're not in our plans. You are still under contract so you still have to come in but you won't be working on any of our projects.". A few weeks later, the company loses one of their workers and are now shorthanded. Now, the Boss comes in and asks you if you want to fill in the open spot on the project. What do you do?

You were once the main guy, then you got stuck with the worst job in the company, answering phones. Now, the boss wants you back. The same boss that basically kicked you to be curb but still keeps you around because of your contract. You'd be long gone but they rather keep you and use you than to let you go with all that money for nothing. Do you suck it up and help with the project even though they no longer value your services? Or do you let your pride speak and refuse to help after the way you've been treated? Either way, you are getting your money.

19. geekSnake

geekSnake Member

whoa, this is ummm... professional, now that the Knicks can rightfully suspend Marbury without pay, smart play by Donnie Walsh

20. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

I would have gone in and played like crap. Then they couldn't say, you refused to play.