1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Stephon Marbury refuses to play

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by tiger0330, Nov 21, 2008.

1. T-mac&Yao=RING

T-mac&Yao=RING Contributing Member

Ok we all know Marbury is an ass and its not worth 22 mill. a year I get that. But what about D'Antoni not playing him becasue hes holding a grudge against him becasue of something he did in Phoenix. I think thats really unfair, atlease give him a chance to play so he can try to earn his money on the basketball court. At the end of the day I think D'Antoni is a bigger ass than Marbury.

2. Shaud

Shaud Member

Miami declined a trade involving the two players.

3. ShadyMcGrady

ShadyMcGrady Contributing Member

No one said he isn't a failure at his profession. I just have never been on case at a personal level since he did that. People make him out to be some kind of bad guy. On the court, yes. Off it? I don't think so.

If D'Antoni won't even play him, how can he earn his money? Now they are a little shorthanded, I'm not saying you should sympathize towards him, but I am not going to care about his "screw you" to the coach when the coach has said the same thing to him all along.

Instead of getting all uppity, the organization could just suspend him without pay. Simple as that.

4. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

If the team pays you millions then are obligated to play as many or as few minutes as the team wants you to play....period. It does not matter if the coach has refused to play you for the last 5 years because he does not like the color of your eyes. When he finally calls on you to play, even if its garbage time during the last meaningless game of the season, then you are damn well obligated to play.

If you refuse to play even one second that the team wants you to play then that is breach of contract in my opinion and the team can make the contract null and void.

5. tsunami

tsunami Member

To be frank, I support Marbury. How did the team treat him? If I were him, I would retaliate the coach as well.

6. tsunami

tsunami Member

So let's see if the team could void Marbury's contract or not. I don't think so.

7. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

Agreed 100%. Why are we mad at the player for telling the team FU, when the team has been telling the player FU all along?

8. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

I hate the "millions of dollars" argument. The team and league make way more than what those players are receiving. If they have the right to suspend him without pay then go ahead and do so...but professional athlete does not = slave.

And the team can't make the contract null and void but they can suspend him. Just because you have a guy under contract shouldn't give you the right to act an ass with him.

9. tsunami

tsunami Member

Fvvck D'Antoni. Support Marbury.

10. worzel gummidge

http://blogs.nypost.com/sports/knicks/archives/2008/11/starbury_to_mik.html

11. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

If this happened as reported, I am amazed by how many people are siding with Marbury on this one. Even if they "treated him badly", the guy has a valid contract. My boss was mean to me? Cry me a river. That doesn't mean I can refuse to work - much less so if I'm paid > $ 20 M.

12. JimRaynor55

JimRaynor55 Member

Because it's his job? Marbury has been collecting fat paychecks for doing nothing all season. If the team asks him to play then he should be a professional and play.

13. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Boss being an ass to you is one thing (Van Gundy to Bonzi or vice-versa). Boss saying you have no future with the company is another.

If Joey Dorsey was told by coach and management he has no future with the club and little to no present, and not given a chance to showcase his skills, (and alot of it cuz Adelman has some grudge with him from 2002), would you expect Dorsey to bust his rump for the Rockets?

Marbury's no victim I'll admit. Sometimes your past will come back to bite. On principle I'd fine him for refusing to enter the game (why suspend him, coach wont play him anyways). But I'd absolutely most certainly understand if he didnt feel comfortable with the situation.

14. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Agreed, and agreed. If its about the team being hurt by his play and attitude, they have all reasons to not play him ever. Not once have the Knicks mentioned that, especially playing "winners" like Eddy Curry and Zach Randolph.

I'll just say if its about pride, if Vernon Maxwell can cite "pride" for not wanting to play on a team and city that ACTUALLY WANTED HIM, Marbury for all his lack of team success can shoot the Knicks the finger on his way out.

15. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Maxwell wanted to get a contract extension so his feelings were hurt.
    Marbury is getting paid 22 million dollars and his feelings were hurt.

I guarantee you if Maxwell got 22 million dollars he'd gladly play inside a volcano.

16. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

marbury does not fit with the direction the team is going.

it's pretty simple.

17. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

When nobody decides to tell me when my dad is dying watching me play a basketball game. I'll gonna hold a permenent grudge against the basketball team organization.

Marbury deserves better, the Knicks are just being a bunch of Sh!ts the way they're treating Marbury. Not only are they hurting his value, but his pride as well.

18. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

they beat the wizards with 7 players, starbury didn't even dress

http://scores.espn.go.com/nba/recap?gameId=281122018

NEW YORK -- Two games in two nights, and only seven players available to run up and down the floor in Mike D'Antoni's system.

That was enough for Quentin Richardson and the rest of the gutty New York Knicks.
    Richardson had 34 points and 12 rebounds in one of his best games since coming to New York, and the short-handed Knicks held on to beat the Washington Wizards 122-117 on Saturday night.

19. HoustonJames

HoustonJames Member

Haha what if he got voted into the Allstar game and refused to play?

20. ambrose86

ambrose86 Rookie

Fine his ass. 20million /82 games. you can save 250,000 just by doing that.