1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Stephon Marbury refuses to play

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by tiger0330, Nov 21, 2008.

1. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

There are only a couple of reasons they don't waive him.

One is that if an injury happened they would need him. But I'm pretty sure at this point he won't help them out on an injury.

The second is because he has some value as an expiring contract in a possible trade. But what GM will give up decent players with short term contracts (it's pretty evident that they don't want contracts past 2010) for a player with a huge contract and past like Marbury's. I just don't see any team that would do that.

I think it would be in everyone's best interest to waive him.

2. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

On ESPN they said (I think Jalen Rose) that Marbury quit on D'antoni when he coached Phoenix so D'antoni will never play him for that reason.

3. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

im by no means a marbury fan, but he's right.

if i were in that situation (coach refusing to play me over an old grudge); offering me a charity 30 minutes for one night only because your short staffed, i'd tell him where he can stick those minutes.

4. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

Your right Marbury is so much better at ruinning teams than Rafer, its not even close. (Min, Toronto, NJ, Pho, NYK)

The Knicks have really screwed poor Marbury. I would be just as pissesed if my boss paid me millions of dollars to do nothing!

Poor Marbury, imagine actually being expected to earn your money for a few nights. The Knicks should be fined for their unfair treatment by actually fullfilling their part of the contract by paying Marbury his millions and expecting him to play when they want him to play.

Its all just so unfair for poor Marbury.

5. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

Here is a novel idea.

Instead of playing because you do or don't like your coach...how about doing it to full fill your obligation to a team for paying you millions of dollars a year to play when they want you too?

Maybe its an odd and old belief that when an employer pays you millions you have an obligation to them not the other way around.

If I were NY I would absolutey suspend him with out pay for as long as I leagally could. I would even attempt to cancell his contract for breach of contract. I would take it as far as the law would allow.

6. tiger0330

tiger0330 Contributing Member

Thats where D'Antoni made his mistake, he should have not asked, just order him to suit up and tell him he's playing. He's under contract, its a coaches perogative to play you 0 minutes or 48 minutes. Heaven knows he uses the contract terms when he tells the Knicks he won't take anything less than 21.9M owed to him in a buyout.

7. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Thats a lot of take-home pay Marbury's getting, but its really not about the money here.

This has very little to do with on-court basketball. If it did the coach and GM would make sure everyone one of the players were prepared to play. They said everyone must be committed to turning this into a great product ! -
    Except you Steph, go spend time with your family or whatever until we, need you or something...

8. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

What is this called?

Player Suspended - Conduct Detrimental To Team

That's what D'antoni should do.

Sure, it was insulting to Marbury for D'antoni to ask him that, but Marbury has no room to be choosy right now. Everybody and their uncle's perception of Marbury is not good. The only people who back Marbury these days are myopic fans who either don't follow basketball much or prolly has a crappy PG on their team (hence some Rockets fans pining for Marbury). More then likely a little of both.

The Knicks should continue to screw Marbury and sully his already soiled image. And if not having to pay him results from it, all the better.

Marbury is getting his just reward for ruining all the teams he's been on throughout his tarnished career.

9. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

Ideally, yes, I agree. And I don't think he deserves any sympathy in the situation whatsoever. He's getting paid and it's the coach's decision who plays. However, setting that aside, at a human level, I can empathize with Marbury's reaction. He was purposely held out all year for no apparent reason (I'm not saying anything is wrong with that, it's D'Antoni's prerogative), why should he come crawling back when the team throws him some charity minutes when there's a shortage of players? He has some dignity.

10. shawn786

shawn786 Member

Disrespectful or not, the man is making $20+ million this season! He needs to man up and do his job.

11. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

the marbury issue is always a hot topic around here. what does it take to see how much of a negative impact this guy has on an nba team. the "but he is better than rafer" argument is weak, and I'm not sure if it is even valid.

look at what Iverson has done in Detroit. A shoot first point guard is not what the Rockets (or Knicks) need right now.

forget all the old grudges, D'Antoni is implementing a new era in the Knicks franchise, and it is more than an old grudge.

this is washing away all of Isiah Thomas' mistakes and starting with a young fresh team, with players that complement each other, not alienate each other.

D'antoni is simply going in a new, faster direction, and marbury has been told he is not part of that direction.

this is a Donnie Walsh and Marbury thing, not a D'Antoni thing...

dude needs to give in to the buyout now that he has refused to play a game.
    his theory was "why would I accept anything less than I am owed?"

well now, he has not done his end of the bargain.

SUCK IT UP STEPH, OR ARE YOU WORRIED THAT NO NBA TEAM IS GOING TO COME ANYWHERE NEAR YOU?

I see the Italian League in his future...

12. ShadyMcGrady

ShadyMcGrady Contributing Member

The man represents $15 dollar shoes so kids in rough neighborhoods don't have to get shot, beaten, or robbed when they rock a new pair of kicks. I've never been on his case since then.

If the team doesn't like it they can suspend him without pay.

13. Problem-Chyld

Problem-Chyld Member

id do the same exact thing actually im happy marbury did that

14. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

i don't have a problem with either side. why should d'antoni want to play marbury? he's a malcontent and a cancer and destroys most everything he touches and, like across110thstreet said, he probably wants to move as far away from anything to do with the isiah era as possible. as for marbury, i have no problem with him giving them a big ol' "F you" right back. you wanna purposely not play me, that's cool, but don't come asking me to play some charity minutes.

15. Freakout

Freakout Member

Starhead blew it.

Everyone knows the guy is dumb as a bag of rocks. Mike knows that Starhead isn't a team player. I see this as breaking down a guy in order to build him back up.

The moment he gets a chance to prove his critics wrong he blows it.

16. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

For those of you condoning Marbury's behavior please explain to me what he's paid to do. Does he deserve this $22 million just for showing up? That's essentially what you're saying.

17. T-mac&Yao=RING

T-mac&Yao=RING Contributing Member

Yea its like people doesn't see the good things he does.

18. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

and i agree with this side of the situation as well. if i was in walsh's seat i would do exactly what you said, try to suspend him without pay for as long as possible.

however, a meager 30 or 35 minutes for one game only doesn't come close to fulfilling the obligation to the team or fans. he's unable to play because of the coach, the contract which he is owed is not his fault either. who would turn that money down?

now, marbury is by no means handling this situation with any professionalism but he has a right to be upset with the team, and because of his actions the team has a right to be upset with him. as always in new york, its a messy situation.

19. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

Intelligent people can differentiate between personal good deeds and being a failure at your profession.

20. Qball

Qball Contributing Member

If I was in his shoes, I would have played. Not because I want make mends with Knicks organization but because I can show other teams that I can still play so actively persue me. He considers his pride worth more than a chance to prove himself to the league and fans.