1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Stephon Marbury: "Jordan been robbing the hood"

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by RV6, Oct 6, 2015.

1. rm365

rm365 Contributing Member

That doesn't take away at all from Marbury's valid point.

I always liked Marbury. He was unstoppable on the Nets. Coney Island's finest.

2. AstroMechPLZ

AstroMechPLZ Member

People like you are the reason Jordan makes more now than in his playing days.

3. YOLO

YOLO Member

what point. he's using something to market himself by calling out someone he likely supported by buying their products.

4. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Sure, that's right. Jordans are successful because they did a lot of branding so that everyone would recognize that people paid a lot of money to put those shoes on their feet. They wouldn't be worth as much if people didn't know how much you paid for them.

But, it's possible to have other value propositions in the market. And, if you're going to come in and say you have a shoe just as good as Jordans but at a fraction of the price, you need something to give you some street cred. Otherwise, kids wearing the cheap shoes get picked on even if it's a good shoe. Marbury, for all his faults as an NBA player, has lots of street cred. Inner city kids see him as one of their own, and he was great as a streetball player. To have him as a frontman to come out and say 'this is a shoe for us inner city kids,' and that it is good quality, and all those kids shelling out hundreds of dollars for Jordans are getting suckered -- that gives his customers some rebuttal points if someone wants to make fun of their shoes.

2 people like this.
  5. dkamberi25

dkamberi25 Member

Don't forget the other big reason why Jordan's sell. They were worn by Jordan himself. The guy is one of the top 5 biggest athletes in the history of organized sport. That's why people still buy the retro's of the shoes that he wore and they really stopped making new Air Jordan's shortly after his playing career ended. They still make Jordan shoes but that's not the same thing.

It's the same reason why Nike started selling a whole lot of golf clubs and apparel once they got Tiger. People want stuff that is associated with the best.

6. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

Very good point.

Although, if half the kids (oustide of the Bronx and other NY burroughs) have no clue who this Stephon Marbury is or what he has done lately (seeing as he played his last NBA game in 2009) they won't even care what type of street cred or streetball player he once was. Remember how great AND 1 mixtapes used to be? It's kinda like that, just a thing of the past.

With guys like KD, Harden, Lillard, Steph, LeBron, Rose, and Wall currently making names for themselves in the shoes game, the newer generation will likely throw the rebooted Starbury's to the side and choose from the other top brands they represent now.

7. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

Wrong. The only two options are not super-expensive and super-cheap.

8. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

I am not forcing anyone to do anything. I have never owned a pair of Jordans, and I definitely do not want to own a pair of $15 basketball shoes. I've spent big on running shoes, and let me tell you - I would never buy a $15 pair of running shoes.

9. juanm34

juanm34 Member

nice!!!!! I used the same shoes for my 8th grade season.
    nothing but dream shakes back then..think i bought them at KMART,.?

1 person likes this.
  10. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

Mine were payless shoes, I was 10 when I bought my pair.

11. J Hard

J Hard Member

Extremely dumb comment. Everybody wants expensive things, thats why people with money have nice things.

Life rule of thumb: Dont spend beyond your means, but people, no matter the class, will find a way to buy what they want.

Besides that, Jordan is despicable greed-filled man. No integrity whatsoever and I applaud Marbury.

12. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I had the same thought. I think Marbury would be well served to recruit an active player who fits the same mold. Starbury Roses? The marketing guys will figure out the particulars.

13. YOLO

YOLO Member

yes how dare Jordan make shoes people love. just despicable

14. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

No. I'm right. The numbers show that jordan shoes outsell Marbury shoes in volume.

This isn't tears for fears. Everbody does not want to buy expensive things.

Kids in river oaks aren't lining up at greenspoint mall for jordans.

Michael jordan is a businessman.
    One who understands supply and demand.

1 person likes this.
  15. marky :)

marky :) Member

If you had a product that costs you nothing to make and sells at a high price you wouldn't continue to sell the product?

16. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

I've got 4 pair. They were great shoes for the price.

It isn't MJ's responsibility to take care of the hood. It isn't his fault there are idiots willing to throw down huge money on his shoes.

17. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

No but they order 1000 dollar loafers online, and that's be cause they dont play basketball, but they will buy 250 dollar baseball Nike cleates when they joining their baseball teams, what's your point?

Its ridiculous to say well of people don't buy expensive things.

18. ooooaaaah!

ooooaaaah! Member

Is he frustrated with Jordan or with people from the hood?

19. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

In terms of Marbury's, nobody is forcing people in the hood to stand in line for jordans. They volunteering will.

You are broadening the topic. Rich kids in river oaks aren't at greenspoint waiting for jordan shoes. Don't go 1 mile off the radius here. And we're specially talking about these shoes.

I'm not saying he's wrong for trying, but jordan brand is king of the hood

#39 tinman, Oct 7, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2015
  20. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Jordan doesn't make shoes. He just makes tons of money telling kids they should love those shoes.