1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Stephon Blasts Jefferson

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Houstone, Feb 8, 2003.

1. Houstone

Houstone Member

February 8, 2003 -- ATLANTA -

Stephon Marbury now has one more reason to dislike the Nets: Richard Jefferson.
    Marbury, who was traded by the Nets to Phoenix then heard some less-than-flattering remarks, grew annoyed and fired back yesterday after hearing that Jefferson heaped much of the credit for the Suns' success on rookie Amare Stoudemire.

"Richard Jefferson, he really needs to start keeping his mouth closed," said Marbury, here for his second All-Star appearance. "He's all right, but he's not a guy who's a dominant presence in the league, that's for one. Two, he's probably here because of the way they're playing. If he wasn't playing with Jason Kidd and the guys he's playing with, he wouldn't be a guy you'd look to. He needs to start playing good on the road. There are a lot of things you could be saying about him.

"So he needs to keep his [bleeping] mouth closed."

What came out of Jefferson's mouth was meant as high praise for Stoudemire, who like the Nets' young, energetic forward, is scheduled to compete in the slam-dunk competition tonight along with Desmond Mason of Seattle, the winner two years ago, and defending champ Jason Richardson of Golden State. Jefferson raved about Stoudemire, the Suns' man-child forward who rivals Yao Ming for greatest first-year impact this season.

"There's no doubt in my mind he's the Rookie of the Year," Jefferson said of Stoudemire. "Without Amare, Shawn Marion and Steph would not be All-Stars. They've got similar numbers they had last year but now they have that beast to throw it into who can get double-doubles every night. Without him, they'd be a .500 team and they wouldn't be All-Stars."

That's why Marbury was ticked off. But Jefferson merely was stating his opinion about the impact the rookie has had. Jefferson is young, funny, outspoken, honest, confident. You know, traits that tend to annoy people.

Jefferson will get a chance to put the athleticism that has made him one of the game's rising stars - as well as a key to the Nets' success and the root cause for their off-season makeover - on display for a national audience. He also will play for the sophomore team in the Rookie Challenge game. Last year, he inexplicably was omitted from the rookie team in a glaring oversight.

"That doesn't bother me," said Jefferson, whose development played a major part in the Nets' decision to trade Keith Van Horn. "I'm just happy, having fun. For whatever reason, I wasn't here last year, but like I said, I'd much rather be in the Finals than be here."

Jefferson said he feels he is at the bottom of the four-man dunk field for the competition that will be judged by former champs Michael Jordan, Dominique Wilkins, Spud Webb, Dee Brown and Julius Erving. Who's the favorite? Jefferson says pick anybody. Except him.

"Amare has so much power and athleticism. Then you have two defending champions. I'm definitely the outsider looking in, basically," Jefferson said. "If you look at the four, basically look at the credentials, I'm definitely on the bottom of the barrel."

Some of the other participants were not as humble. Mason had his choice: "Me," he said quickly. Richardson said, "I've got an equal shot with everybody, I don't think there is a favorite." Stoudemire picked Richardson "because he won it last year."

Marbury is a loser, but i don't like Jefferson either.

http://www.nypost.com/sports/nets/30155.htm

:cool:

2. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

Nothing better then two dumb asses going at it. :rolleyes:

3. SirCharlesFan

SirCharlesFan Contributing Member

Stephon Marbury has to be one of the most immature guys in the league. He can't take ANYTHING. A guy is being (pretty) honest about the Suns and complimenting one of Marbury's teammates, but he has to turn around and talk some smack.

Stephon is a joke.

4. AstroRocket

AstroRocket Member

Jefferson was just on NBA 2night and basically said that his comments were in no way meant to disparage Stephon or Marion, only to compliment Amare. He even said he was going to try to find Stephon so he could apologize and get the thing straightened out. He seemed to be really sincere.

5. Ghettostar85

Ghettostar85 Member

that marbury guy! hope he doesen´t have a good night in the all star game that would really make tha game bad! go francis!

6. drapg

drapg Member

Why the disdain towards Jefferson from previous posters? He seems like a good guy.

7. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

Cause he does open his mouth a little too much. If its not dissing Starbury, its the Rockets or the Pacers, etc.

8. Timing

Timing Member

Marbury's schizophrenic. He can't help it.

9. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Marbury has million dollar talent but a ten cent brain. First it is KG, then it is Jefferson etc etc. This guy needs to find some maturity and some humility about the game and its competitors. That chip on his shoulder just wont go away.

Chris

10. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

Let's just say that Marbury is the one PG who makes Francis look like a winner and a leader.

11. Asian Sensation

Jefferson does open his mouth A LOT actually and his whiny/girly little voice is getting to me. :mad:

12. dn1282

dn1282 Member

Hahaha...for a moment there I thought I was the only one in the world who got irritated by his voice. The only thing worse than hearing his high pitched voice is seeing him put up those sissy dunks during the dunk contest.

13. OverRRated

OverRRated Member

Please, it's nothing more than 2 girls going at it, so sad that a lot of this league is filled with them.

Oh yeah, please tell Jefferson to be quiet, or tell the media to mute his voice when they interview him and just use closed-caption.

14. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

The irony is too great. First, Marbury is jealous of the attention teammate Kevin Garnett gets on the team. Wanting to be the main man on his team, he gets himself traded away from Garnett and finds what he wants in Phoenix. Then, they draft a player, Stoudemire, who is much like Garnett (as a man though not as a player) and whom Marbury claims to be superior to Garnett -- to needle old rivalries. Then, Marbury's compliments to Stoudemire start getting echoed around the league and he becomes insecure of his position as the main man on his new team. How long before Marbury forces the Suns to trade him to another team where he can be better than everyone else?

And, does it seem to ya'll that Jefferson will go out of his way to disrespect all things Rockets?

15. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

I never understood people like Jefferson who acts like a baby and rips a team that passed up on drafting him or trades him (Rashard Lewis falls into this category), and goes out of their way to rip them for what, making their team better? I mean grow up. Either way it doesn't matter, the Rockets will win a championship before Jefferson does, if Jefferson wins one at all.

16. Just B

Just B Member

i can't stand Stephon. He told Francis that he should be the all-star PG and not Steve. He's also gotten into all that mess with Kevin Garnett (and I hope by the way, that he ends up fighting KG so we can see Marbury get pummeled!) being immature about a trade that happened years ago.:mad:

17. James23

James23 Member

marbury always wants to be the MAN, but never was good enough. he's always in someone's shadow. in high school, he was #2 behind felipe lopez. in college, there was AI. in the pro, there are too many players ahead of him to mention here.

18. Stickfigure

Stickfigure Member

Marbury is, without doubt, my least favorite player in the league. I can't STAND the guy. :mad:

That said, I would like also to reiterate my claim from about a year ago, and perhaps open up a new topic: I still think the Rockets would have been better off keeping Jefferson + whoever else than trading for Griffin. Eddie's seven-point nights are really starting to remind me of another Rockets underachiever with a similar build, Robert Horry. Maybe if we ever make the playoffs we'll see what Eddie is truly made of, and he'll go nuts like Horry used to, but otherwise, I think he's had plenty of time.

19. hikanoo49

hikanoo49 Member

They should settle it out in the parking lot and have a battle until death. :D

20. fatman510

fatman510 Member

Wait...Did STEPHON MARBURY just tell someone to keep his mouth closed. Man, what I would like to do to that guy right now...