1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Stephen Strasburg to have Tommy John surgery

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by pgabriel, Aug 27, 2010.

1. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

just reported on cnbc

2. Depressio

Depressio Member

3. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Member

Wow, he looked good to in his starts. So he's out until 2012, right? Dr. Andrews here he comes.

4. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Member

JFC. That's seriously bad, bad news FOR MY KEEPER LEAGUE! :mad:

5. MadMax

MadMax Member

holy crap...horrible news for the Nats. and for baseball fans, generally.

i blame "daddy ball" little league. select leagues that have kids playing 100 games/year.

6. juicystream

juicystream Member

I figured that he would get hurt, but this isn't necessarily a bad thing. Pitchers usually comeback fine from Tommy John. Better have it happen now then happen when you are contending. Look at Josh Johnson.

7. jonjon

jonjon Member

This type of situation is what sets the *Lebrons of the world apart. Very rarely does a super-prospect live up to the hype.

They always get injured or their a bust. I guess we'll have to wait and see...

*I'm not a Lebron fan at all...

8. juicystream

juicystream Member

He can come back in 2011, but he won't be fully 100% until 2012.

9. moonsh0t

moonsh0t Member

Well that sucks. As I was watching his first start I remember thinking 'this kid is going to have a great career barring injury.' I sure hope he can recover, he could be a great one.

10. SuraGotMadHops

Kerry Wood, Mark Prior, Stephen Strasburg

11. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Member

Don't pitchers come back pretty solid from TJ surgery?

12. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Oh man that stinks.

DD

13. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

Yeah these days most are just as good after the surgery.

14. Depressio

Depressio Member

Yep. Still, it hurts to lose your #1 pitcher and #1 prospect for a year, especially with all the signing money they tossed at him.

15. The Real Shady

At least Wood and Prior had a few great seasons. Strasburg couldn't even live up to that.

16. wallyj12

wallyj12 Member

Not the ones that have questionable mechanics...like previously said look at what happened to studs Kerry Wood, Mark Prior, and add Francisco Liriano to that list. All three of them threw high 90's and had tight, outstanding breaking balls but were never able to fully regain back to their pre-surgery forms. Liriano is making progress but the velocity isn't the same and the slider isn't as nasty.

He can come back 100%, the Dr. on ESPN said 75% of the pitchers come back fully but I think this should be a serious concern to his career along with the correlation between his mechanics and durability. They already shut him down once for a shoulder injury then he gets pulled from Saturday's game for an elbow issue which ends up being this

17. Beck

Beck Member

18. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Member

But don't they make the tendon extra strong after the surgery?

19. Major

Major Member

That's messed up if true. The challenge he faces is that what makes him unique is not just his power. He has wicked-crazy stuff, and I wonder how much of that would survive if he changed to more traditional mechanics. I imagine a lot of the crazy movement he has on his pitches is at least in part to his unique mechanics, though I don't have any real basis for thinking that.

On the flipside, in June, the guy also said this:

The bottom line on Stephen Strasburg is that I don't think he'll be another Mark Prior. While I'm working to get some video to confirm this -- because still photos can only tell you so much -- Stephen Strasburg's mechanics and timing don't seem to be as bad as those of Mark Prior.

However, Strasburg also isn't completely clean.

I see things that concern me in his arm action and timing and the pitcher they again bring to mind is John Smoltz, another pitcher who had a borderline Inverted W and some arm problems as a result. I could very easily see Stephen Strasburg having a comparable career; years of total dominance accompanied by lost years due to shoulder and elbow problems.

If he ends up John Smoltz, that's not bad.

20. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Francisco Liriano has never been the same. This season he's finally got some of his stuff back, and he's 4 years removed from TJS.