1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Stephen Silas positives, progress, improvement

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by harold bingo, Nov 22, 2021.

1. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Tony Parker talking about tough love.....how players said they would
    never play for a coach like that. But Parker said it reminded him of his dad?

One has to know ones personnel. Try yelling at Kevin Porter Jr. If he threatened
    to do harm on an old lady at an apartment complex....then he would probably
    go Spreewell on PJ Carrisimo on Pops or a Thibs type.

Whiplash instructors won't work for all. In America, people will go home and
    come back with a gun and shoot up the place.

#61 ApacheWarrior, Nov 23, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2021
    ExTexanNowEastCoast and burlesk like this.
  2. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Who's asking for Whiplash instructors or, better yet, who's wanting Bobby "I'll choke my own players" Knight type of coaches roaming on the sidelines?

burlesk and Nook like this.
  3. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Silas is doing a great job of setting us up for at least a top five pick.

4. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

NICE lol the translations didnt really do the justice...kinda softened it a lot, the cursing was 100 times more gross and insulting

5. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

you dont even have to yell really, accountability can be done in nice way really ... gotta be smart and not lazy

I applaud silas for being nice and softspoken, this is how it should be....

6. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

[​IMG]

daywalker02 likes this.
  7. steddinotayto

You have to know your audience and, 99% of the time, your audience is not going to have everyone tuning in at the same wavelength. Should it be that way, where niceness and soft spoke-ness works effectively? Absolutely but that's in an ideal world. In any leadership role you have to have a balancing act and coaching is no different. Silas don't have to yell at his players to get his message across but he, like you said, can't be lazy or non-assertive either.

hakeem94 and Nook like this.
  8. Nook

Nook Member

You are really going off the rails......... Popovich was very hard on Tony Parker, both Popovich and Parker agree on that..... they also both agree that they love each other and they helped each other. Neither of us were present but I am not going to throw around the word "abuse" because it is now used far too often, to the point that the term is going to lose it's meaning as not all "abuse" is equal.

Also I agree that not everyone or every personality meshes well..... which could be why Popovich was harder on Parker than other players.

aaquaa, steddinotayto and hakeem94 like this.
  9. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Silas is just following marching orders. Just a Rockets version of Bo Porter during the 100 loss Astro seasons.

#trusttheprocess

burlesk and cheke64 like this.
  10. steddinotayto

I remember whenever I watched a Spurs game during Parker's first two years with the team Pops would tear into Tony's ass pretty much all the time. That being said, Parker was entrusted with being the starting point guard for a championship caliber team at the age of 19. Just like any 19 year old (I have an 18 year old turning 19 in March so I have some experience here), Pop needed to provide Parker with guidance and structure, not just for the team's benefit but Pops probably knew how good Parker would be if he was challenged early on. It's definitely no coincidence that he took very good under the radar player and helped them become all time greats. Parker, Manu, Kawhi...no one can say that Pops' don't know how to coach/lead.

11. juanming

juanming Member

12. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

What are people calling for? The dang Spurs have 3 more wins than the Rockets. So we change
    out Silas for Popovich and still miss the playoffs.

I don't see guys like Derrick White and Dejounte
    Murray improving after being in the league 4 years.
    But we need instant gratification from our rookies by game 15. #doublestandards

13. cheke64

cheke64 Member

I don't know who Bo is but I agree.I assume is a guy purposely taking a fall for a better future outcome

burlesk likes this.
  14. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

You dont know who Bo Porter is? Not a baseball fan probably. He was the skipper of the Astros during their horrendous 3 year rebuild before finally having enough tools to compete again with a more qualified coach. Worked out OK for them.

15. vator

vator Contributing Member

He sent a better player than Theis down to the developmental league and he has Theis in the rotation ahead of another guy that is clearly better than him. What is there not to be encouraged about? Solid coaching right there.

aaquaa and burlesk like this.
  16. steddinotayto

Again, what is up with the extreme takes? I, personally, never said or suggested that we switch out Silas for Pops nor did I imply a move like that would make this team automatic playoff contenders. I was just curious as to why you're lumping in Popovich with 1. a guy that literally abused his own players and 2. a fictional character or, more specifically, who on this board is asking for either options to replace Silas?

As for White and Murray, you might be right about White but there's a reason why he he was drafted at the end of the 1st round. Murray's has upped his numbers this year and has actually improved every year he's been in the league. I mean if there's another metric/way you're concluding that Murray hasn't improved other than his stats let me in on it.

17. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Yes but you are missing the big picture.

Parker is from France. In America many households have become single parent
    dwellings. No father.

So when players say they don't want a coach insulting them or yelling....
    you limit your options on players.

If you have a hundred kids.
    10 may say they want the authoritarian
    80 may say no thanks
    10 might say, let's try it out. But ready to bail if I don't like it.
    Free Agency is resulted by this

Players like LeBron compliment Pops.....but none want to play for him long term.
    Not since Duncan left. Players coming from Compton and the ghettos don't feel
    they have to put up with it. I don't see lines of players wanting to join Pops
    in free agency. The great teacher instructor lacks students....because no one
    wants to be yelled at intentionally.... willingly. Those in the military often feel
    they have no choice.

I just need 1) Porter/Green to learn pick and roll proper.
    2) Armoni Brooks and Garrison Matthews to learn a little defense
    3) wait for Banchero/Chet or Patrick Baldwin.

Rest of Clutchfans pulling out their hair crying for a coach to get technicals during
    the game. Save it. Just teach them in practice Silas and I'll be happy. Too many of CF's
    asking for something counterproductive to those goals. Actually wanting wins,
    or something dumber......wins but still miss the playoffs. Knock it off CF's.

18. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Sorry, I'm getting hit from all sides.

I feel like I'm back in the martial arts days where they turn off the lights and it's free for all day.
    Whoa, let's go.

I was done talking about the coaching. Somebody dragged me back in yesterday
    with a mention. Don't want the horns.....don't take on the Bull. Hahahahaha

steddinotayto likes this.
  19. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Daniel Theis is no longer starting!!! Only playing 1 center?? Lets go Silas, better late than never.

20. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

We are at halftime and Theis, House, Nwaba have combined for 0 minutes. Silas is learning!