1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Stephen Silas on KPJ: "He can have the ball a little bit more..."

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RudyTBag, Oct 24, 2022.

1. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

So...how many of you actually watched the clip? Of course the OP didn't leave a time stamp.

The question was about getting his teammates involved. Silas responded basically like, "When it's warranted, KPJ can have the ball more," but that he has done a better job this season recognizing his duty of getting teammates involved. In other words, when he's hot, take it up.

maj21 and Verbal Christ like this.
  2. O-dawg

O-dawg Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Funny thing is I agreed with every point (answer) he gave in that interview right up until he made that comment regarding KPJ. What makes it horrible is that exactly the opposite is what is needed. KPJ needs to focus more on being a facilitator and less on scoring. He needs to focus more on getting off the ball after quick decisive movement and less on as Silas put it during the interview "dancing" with the ball.

Especially on a night where Jalen is playing incredibly efficient from the field (4 of 8 from three) I would hope that the coach (and staff) would be looking at those numbers and seek to get him more shots, not less cause he wants KPJ dancing with the ball..... TF:confused:

clutchdabear likes this.
  3. CircaSurvive

CircaSurvive Member

And suddenly Sengun's lack of involvement all makes sense, we will never ever come close to winning a thing with this clown in charge.

4. O-dawg

Supporting Member

That's my problem with his statement. I agree that KPJ has been doing better this year than last year with ball distribution (that's a low bar) but he is still struggling with getting his teammates involved. KPJ took 19 shots tonight for 42% FGA, Jalen took 16 shots for 56% FGA. If I'm the coach I'm not encouraging KPJ to take more shots, I'm telling him to get his back court mate more shots as the primary scorer and look for ways to get others in the flow of the offense.

What I heard Silas say though was "yeah keep the ball more kid, do little more dancing while your teammates sit and watch". (my interpretation of course ;))

slothy420 and Scarface281 like this.
  5. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Now they mad because of the guard centric offense that Silas has ALWAYS run!? Taking comments out of context to satisfy the rage? Too awesome!

[​IMG]

Denovo likes this.
  6. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

This is tanking by looking the other way at horrible coaching. Let’s pray to baby Jesus that Stone is just using Silas to build up KPJs value and tank is to Wemby

Caesar and MystikArkitect like this.
  7. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

Jalen needs to establish Jalen as the franchise player. And, I think he's been moving in that direction.

I don't know why everyone seems to think the coaches and organization christens a player the star and that has some huge affect on the outcome of their future.

Jalen will determine how great he becomes. Same with KPJ or Sengun or Jabari or anyone else. In the NBA the coaches impact is more game specific than it is about longterm development.

Denovo and REEKO_HTOWN like this.
  8. eliefor3

eliefor3 Member

That's it, let's go nuclear. Trade for Westbrook and move kpj to the 3.

9. O-dawg

Supporting Member

I agree with this somewhat and do think Jalen has been more assertive in his second year, but coaches and franchises can affect a players development hence their future.

Using Harden as an example, if OKC decided to keep the "3" together (Russ, Durant, Harden) I don't think Harden becomes the franchise player that he was in Houston. Durant and Russ would've continued to be options 1 and 2 in the pecking order regarding the offense.

That's my only issue. I don't want more of KPJ dribbling the ball, I'd actually like to see him make quicker decisions off the pick and do a better job of getting others involved. He is truly talented and can get his shots whenever, get others involved first and if they aren't producing then go into scoring mode.

peleincubus likes this.
  10. Reeko

Reeko Member

Rockets don’t have the ball handling nor creators for KPJ to be off-ball like people want

Jalen Green is currently averaging the same amount of turnovers as assists…he’s not a PG

Sengun has a sky high turnover rate

EG? Please

on this team, KPJ is gonna have the ball in his hands whether u like it or not

Denovo, Bobbythegreat and pmac like this.
  11. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

Guess it's another tanking season. we aint winning sht with an inferior harden

12. Reeko

Reeko Member

I’m just stating facts

Who on this team should be handling the ball so much that it makes KPJ an off-ball player? There is no one on the team that can do it

Denovo likes this.
  13. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

Harden dropped 37 points and had 12 assists in his first game as a rocket. I see no evidence that playing with KD and Russ limited his development. He just had less touches and shots. His advanced stats showed that he was special. Sorry, don't want to go down a Harden rabbit hole.

Anyway, I think what's really happening on clutchfans is that the rockets have been at least decent for a long time. People have forgotten what a rebuild looks like and are pointing fingers when in reality it's pretty normal for a team of all rookies/sophmores and scrap heap players lose a bunch of games.

O-dawg likes this.
  14. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Then he should put Gordon on the bench. He is a moron.

15. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

The hope is that eventually Green will develop that part of his game in order to have KPJ off ball more, but you're right, as of right now there's no one else.

16. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

I think the point is we don't have to run a offense where someone is dribbling the air out of the ball.

17. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

i am also. the reality of another tank season is happening. KPJ will win us a few games of his heroics iso harden impersonation, but he can't do it consistently.

I would suggest alternating ball handling duties between the "passers" of the team, but silas is dead set on kpj try to channel his inner harden

18. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

True, but that's what Silas wants. We'll need a new coach before that changes.

19. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

The Rockets are a rebuilding (or tanking for those that use those 2 interchangeably) team. KPJ and Sengun are the 2 best facilitators on the team. While I think KPJ's shooting is great off the ball, without Sengun on the court, KPJ needs to have the ball a lot to facilitate and to score.

This just isn't a complete team. With the teardown, it is still surprising that the Rockets have as much talent (though way way short on experience) that they do. Until the Rockets have a good primary faciltator, it is going to be rough at times.

20. Bo6

Bo6 Member

I agree with bobbo on this one. The coaches are asking to do what KPJ is best at, which is pounding the rock. Unforatuntely we have built a roster with players that need the ball to be shared so it is conflicting at the moment. I think it is important to remember that Silas was initially brought into Houston to coach Harden so it should not be surprising to see the Heliocentric offense.

Best case scenario is that we trade for an all-star PG that either has KPJ going out or becoming the backup PG... problem is with these statements and past experiences, I'm not sure KPJ would be so willinginly "demoted" to the bench...

DaDakota likes this.