1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Stephen Silas is pissed off

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaBeard, Feb 6, 2023.

1. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

nah. I choose to relax and have hope. Teams go through rough patches. Nothing new. Lose now build culture acquire assets and win later. Suns did it. Hawks did it. Denver had several losing seasons before acquiring better players. But again all these teams had a mix of vets with winning experience and a young core. The Rockets do not. So your expectations are too high considering what the team really is. Why get all riled up? Doesn’t change anything.

gfab-babyboi likes this.
  2. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

Because I have my own thoughts just as you do.

3. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

It feels like a forced monologue, not even Oscar worthy, throw a real time tantrum for all I care....

Van gundy was holding a player's leg at one point on the floor.

RasaqBoi likes this.
  4. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

Hope is not a strategy.

Nook likes this.
  5. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

The coach can be terrible and losses are still 90% on the players and wins are 90% on the players too. Coaches don't matter enough to explain our point differential of minus 7.9. Be realistic guys. The only tanking team that has a good coach is the Spurs (they are the worst defensive team in the NBA and 3rd worst offensive), other than that none of the tanking teams' coaches would get hired to win a playoff series. Great coaches don't want to rebuild.

There are lots of teams that develop good habits and respond to a coach that smiles a lot. Not all the successful coaches are a nervous, angry wreck. Not all the successful coaches bark all the time. I know it's a Texas based board and you guys are much older than the players, but the tough guy act is not the solution to everything in life. I know that flies in the face of the way you were brought up, but the tough guy act is for moments that require it. You can't maintain it eternally without losing your targeted audience. The difference between having a tough guy and "nice guy" coach should NOT mean that if there's a nice guy coach that the roster will play like a bunch of lazy pieces of ****. The players' response even to a nice guy coach is UNACCEPTABLE. They should give more effort on defense even if there were not a single coach sitting on the sideline. It's their job to give effort on defense regardless of who the coach is. They are not even meeting that minimum standard.

The players need to give much better effort on defense. If Silas, Lucas, Batiste and Hollins as a unit can't achieve it, then it's the players. You can teach and yell and hold players out all you like, if they don't do it when they're in the game there's nothing you can do about that. How many people will you bench? You're going to end up with a 4-man rotation if you only allow the players who are giving effort on defense to play.

We have sailed past the point where Silas is the main culprit. Stone took a bet that maintaining accountability this season is less important than securing the worst record. These are the results, this is what it looks like to be the worst team among a whole bunch of teams who are desperately trying to be worse too. Now Stone believes that you can just turn this around next season. I'm not sure about that, but it's not far fetched to argue "I'd rather try to turn around the culture next season than lose out on higher odds for Wemby". Not my way of doing things, but this is Stone's plan. I'll judge him if the culture is not turned around early next regular season. He has taken an extremely risky bet and we may have to sacrifice a prospect or two in trade to make examples of them.

I'm so disgusted with the players recently, I can't even enjoy their offensive outbursts. I don't care if they suck defensively but I need the effort 99% of the time. I need effort with communication and without whining to the refs or blaming each other on the court. Defensive effort and sharing the ball are the only two cultural things we need to maintain and it's been really terrible for the past 10-20 games especially. ****.

6. JW86

JW86 Member

I feel bad for the man, this is on players, himself but also the GM and owner. Nobody showing support on the front office side and coming to the man’s defense. Silas is surely fed up with what he’s instructed to behave like, plan to lose, maybe even rotations. I get players not responding to him anymore, but you have to give effort when you’re on the court!

Stephen_A and gfab-babyboi like this.
  7. bmelo

bmelo Member

from your posts it seems everything is always sophisticated, pinpoint planned... no bro. being worst ever isn't planned, having all your fanbase hate on a team isn't planned, having all NBA ridicule the team isn't planned.

Feritta invested in Stone since the Westbrook trade, and since that trade we are only going down. There was not one positive on-court aspect of his tenure. Miss me with the assets, money and other bs because it's not a Microsoft Excel game, it is a game of basketball and we are here to enjoy it. We don't win games or play entertaining neither. GM has done a **** job. Another top3 pick or two ain't changing ****.

hakeem94 and xtruroyaltyx like this.
  8. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

It's because I have to write believable human characters for a living I know that the world is not a cartoon where some people are just dumb or evil all day. There's no such thing. It's a basketball game where stats matter too, Fertitta has done great things in his life but sucks at basketball, Stone has made mistakes despite being an intelligent asset manager and Silas is doing his best despite the results. The world is a complex case, if you don't recognize that you will spend a lot of your life frustrated with simplistic views of why things are happening.

No Worries and bmelo like this.
  9. Xopher

Xopher Member

This entire thing is a fallacy. They never thought Silas would be coaching young kids. Harden was here when Silas was hired. Not a bunch of kids. Did you just start watching Rockets basketball?

hakeem94 likes this.
  10. bmelo

bmelo Member

I agree with that, every people has their strengths. But there is no chemistry at all, top to bottom. It results in wack product, which we, as a fans, have all the right in the world to criticise. Many of us are successful people, maybe not as successful as Tilman, but still with proper positions in our lifes. Many of us know what it takes to win in our own fields, and don't need any advice on life. This is forum which replicates bar discussions. 90% of my posts here are after couple of beers - that's just the nature of the fans. Not gonna act like GM wanna be, I did that when I was 15

hakeem94 and Mathloom like this.
  11. fattz

fattz Member

The trade deadline is tomorrow and this is our recent response to what is on the court. Coaching is done. Mr. Stone next move is yours

12. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

I don’t feel bad for Silas. Coaching is about teaching , mentoring and motivating your guys …. He hasn’t done one god dam thing in 3 years. Ppl lose respect and don’t follow your orders once they know you are a pushover.

13. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

I’m a fan not a GM. I have faith in this organization.

hakeem94 likes this.
  14. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Bless your heart.

hakeem94 likes this.
  15. hajkov

hajkov Consummate Member

This attempt of acting thought is pathetic and turns out to be a public display of how bad of a coach he is.

Any veteran / good coach would act pissed, give short answers like "no effort" but never raise the voice tone as he was a victim or shying away from the responsibility.

Even thought he seems to be reading (and being apparently staged), I WANT TO BELIEVE that the front office noticed our reputation is melting because of this clown coaching and that Silas job is no longer secure. MAYBE it's good news.
    A man can only dream.

AlperenSengun and AroundTheWorld like this.
  16. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

How do you know though? Serious question. How do fans know when none of us has been in the locker rooms or film room or training facilities or team meetings? How do any of us know what is taught or reviewed? What we do know is the roster is young. We know it’s lacking in talent and experience. We know Silas has preached professionalism and hard work through his press conferences and his decision and handling of KPJ thus far. We know he cares and loves these young men when he talks about growth and development and KPJ’s contract. We know Stone wanted to change the culture set by Morey and Dantoni. We know we aren’t a good team. This we know.

17. MorningZippo

MorningZippo Member

Jabari Smith isn't our center.

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  18. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

No he didn’t. The organization has invested in KPJ collectively by trading for him. I don’t think it was a unilateral move and often times coaches discuss priorities with management. The team has been trying to see what KPJ csn develop into and gave him an extension that was team friendly.

19. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

Do you honestly think the Rockets didn’t know Harden wanted to leave? The writing was on the wall with the departure of Dantoni and Morey. I venture to say that they knew of this exit plan by harden and morey and Dantoni a year prior at least and had a roadmap of what to do.

20. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member