1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Can former Rocket Eric Gordon and the Suns bounce back against the Timberwolves? Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Stephen Silas is pissed off

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaBeard, Feb 6, 2023.

1. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

[​IMG]

2. Nook

Nook Member

-After providing his post game press conference, Coach Silas exits the hall leading to the locker room only to see Kevin Porter Jr. in street clothes-

Silas: Kevin how did you like my press conference. I am a little heated under the collar.

Porter: What you Steve?

Silas: It’s Coach Silas. I’m the Captain of this ****.

Porter: **** off you goofy ******.

Silas: I’ll talk to Stone about this.

Porter: okay ashy… (Porter puts out his grape Swisher sweet on Silas’ arm.

3. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

Regardless it’s not all on him. Like I said this team is built to lose to continually stock up on lottery picks and a chance at Victor and cap room to sign a star or couple vets for 23-24. This was likely the plan since 2020. Silas likely was never the long term solution but someone with patience and character to teach these young men.

Y2JT and ashleyem like this.
  4. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

So, did he bench them? Sounds like a Coach that has lost his team.

5. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

What exactly has he taught them?

slothy420 and FuryFC like this.
  6. BigggReddd

BigggReddd Member

Silas’s “patience” and “character” is about to have the Rockets stuck in perpetual mediocrity for a decade, possibly more. Ask any NBA veteran what the most important and formative years of their career were. That’s right, years 1 and 2.

Look at the Sacramento Kings and how many lottery picks they fumbled. Was that a result of piss poor drafting for a decade, or was it because of a terrible culture? Ask Ben McLemore how good he thought he’d be.

the rot starts at the core.

7. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Time to put the most hardass coach possible in there and flip a switch on this bunch. Put Silas out of his misery, and ours, and start to show this upstart group of ISO ball floaties the sweat and work it's going to take to stay in the NBA past their rookie contract.

(Edit: I'm all in on tanking for Victor, but I don't think a coach will suddenly create a winning streak. If it does, you deal with that in different ways later. But for now, long term growth needs to be a focus.)

#27 napalm06, Feb 6, 2023
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2023
  8. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

This is one of those act mad tantrums because you think that’s what people want to see.

That was the lamest outburst of anger I’ve seen.

Dude can’t even look the reporters in their eyes.

Silas is a horrible head coach. He may be a fine assistant. He may be good in the role of buddying up to future stars and helping them in some capacity develop their game. Maybe a small niche like that is his calling, which is nothing to be ashamed about.

But he’s not the guy that you want in charge of the whole show. He doesn’t have the right demeanor, apparently cannot get the guys to buy in, has not implemented any kind of structure and he is just all around bad at handing out minutes.

I really can’t think of any area where he excels at. The only value he brings to the organization at this time is helping to secure top odds for a top three pick.

But the question regarding that has been and will be, is that worth the damage he is doing to the guys already here…my answer is no, it’s not worth it. You can be a bad team that shows signs. No need to set players back in the process.

#28 xtruroyaltyx, Feb 6, 2023
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2023
  9. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

I blame the media's terrible treatment of Mr. Silas for this public meltdown.

napalm06 likes this.
  10. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

Players drive on him frequently and score in the paint. He can’t handle more skilled bigs in the paint such as valenculas or Sabonis etc. These Numbers don’t account for the totality of his time and impact on the defensive end. Just what I see.

11. Nook

Nook Member

293 points … the number of points the Rockets have given up the last 96 minutes. Around half that time the Rockets were on offense…so yeah.

12. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Gordon !

13. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

Well character for one. He didn’t seek punitive measures on KPJ. He showed love for a troubled young man. Earned his trust and respect. Haven’t had an issue since. That’s teaching.

Zen Tabak and ashleyem like this.
  14. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

The numbers are the numbers. You are wrong.

No, that's NOT teaching.

ashleyem likes this.
  15. i3artow i3aller

16. Nook

Nook Member

No, it isn’t all Silas’ fault, but he has done a poor job. There is plenty of blame for Stone and TF.

17. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

That's quite charitable of you your highness

18. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

Sorry just trying to understand. Where did you get the formative years from? A lot of players go through losing seasons their first few years including Booker trae young and Fox. Not sure what your point is. Teams try to win and it takes a lot of synergy when all cylinders click from management to coaching to players. Players aren’t always drafted into winning teams or cultures.

19. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

Ok what is teaching to you then

20. BigggReddd

BigggReddd Member

Every time the question is brought up to NBA veterans they always answer the same way. Can’t point you to any specific interview, just gathered bit by bit from decades of watching NBA basketball.