1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Stephen Silas is a terrible hire

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ashleyem, Oct 28, 2020.

?

Do you like the hire of Stephen Silas?

1. Yes

167 vote(s)
    73.9%
  2. No

59 vote(s)
    26.1%
  1. Omihall23

Omihall23 Member

So Silas is the reason James isn't shooting well from 3? How about the rest of the team missing wide open 3s? At the end of the day, the players have to hit open shots, that has nothing to do with coaching unless what they really need is a shooting coach.

2. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

As Maury said, the difference between a good coach and a bad coach is really only a few wins. The problem is we need shooters and we keep trading for guys that can't shoot and filling our squad with minimum guys.

Woods was a good signing though

3. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Yeah for that kind of money but I do not think Wood is a tough player.

He is softer than I imagined he would be.

4. ksny15

ksny15 Member

Not a fan. He might be nice for a rebuilding squad but not a squad with title aspirations

Nook and HardenVolumeOne like this.
  5. HardenVolumeOne

forget shooting, we need bigs. when cousins gets ejected we are done

6. Le$$

Le$$ Member

Silas and wood should be your building blocks to new era. Rockets have good foundation to rebuilding now.

7. J.R.

J.R. Member

So he’s perfect for the Rockets?

RKREBORN, treyk3, BigggReddd and 6 others like this.
  8. T for 3

T for 3 Member

I'm not saying Silas has been great, but he's going to be scapegoated as Harden pouts his way out of town. I feel bad for him.

Boredhippy and xtruroyaltyx like this.
  9. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

I'll give him some time. He's in a tough spot. But the defensive cluelessness is alarming.

BigggReddd likes this.
  10. TimDuncanDonaut

Who is our current defensive assistant coach. The current bzedlik?

11. PWR

PWR Member

I wanted to give him a few games before I voted. So far, I'm very unimpressed. I honestly can't name one thing that I like so far.

12. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

Silas is a great coach for a rebuild. All the guys seem to like him and thinks he's cool. He trusts his young guys a lot unlike MDA.

Silas wants Harden not to ISO all the time like MDA demanded him to but ironically, our team would be better if Harden was ISOing every possession.

Harden is disinterested and it shows, it could be for many reasons. He's checked out because he wants out or maybe he's disinterested because he doesn't get to ISO all the time. Obviously if we're winning this wouldn't be an issue but since our record is getting worse by the game, it's only a matter of time Harden does something that the media picks up to show he wants out before deadline.

Idk how we're going to rebuild to be honest, it surely won't be easy unless we get a huge haul back for Harden which looks more unlikely by the day because of how good 76ers and Celtics are this season. Even if we trade Harden for a bunch of good role players, we're still not going to be bad enough to get a #1 pick with Wall and Wood. This is not even mentioning we don't even have our FRPs in many years in and out.

Boredhippy likes this.
  13. sheb

sheb Member

I don’t blame Silas, the makeup of our team just sucks
    We need better shooters
    Gordon, house, Ben, nwaba, sterling
    Are all too streaky

Omihall23 and PWR like this.
  14. PWR

PWR Member

I definitely agree with that, but Silas is supposed to be good at adjustments from what people say. I haven't seen one adjustment yet.

15. hakeemthagreat

This right here confirmed how idiotic this thread is

16. WestendMassive

Kevin McHale took this roster to a +500 record in his first year, which started eerily similar to this one - no real camp because of the lockout and a late December start.

[​IMG]

Does anyone see the current Silas-led team winning more than 36 games this year?

17. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I don't 100% blame him
    but he deserves some.

Asking PJ to dribble is a issue
    Asking HOUSE to dribble is a issue
    Asking BMac to dribble is a issue
    etc

I mean in a small amount maybe
    but asking players to do somethings that simply are not in their skillset will be a problem

Rocket River

Nook likes this.
  18. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

a. Harden probably isn't attacking as much as he could, to preserve himself from getting injured

b. Silas was probably cheaper than Van Gundy - let's not pretend that isn't a factor

c. Even if there weren't overtures of Harden not liking Tilman in the background, a rookie coach and a team that hasn't practiced much together in a completely new system = some wild results early on.

d. It is (in large part) an inherited roster that had no traditional bigs of any kind. It is hard to go out and fill those roles easily, especially when you are looking for particular types of players and trying to prove to a disgruntled hall of famer that they should stay because you've brought in players that can help win a championship

All factors = early season jitters. How long they last will tell us how good Silas is.

19. Loneyroy7

Loneyroy7 Member

There's a reason why he was an assistant coach for so long.

20. riko

riko Member

He tried to be cute by making a harden a decoy of wall.

TEXNIFICENT and palmsnbananas like this.