1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Stephen Silas - Introductory Press Conference.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by treyk3, Nov 5, 2020.

1. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

Reality is Philly will make some noise. Doc is their coach, they have Morey and the team just got embarrassed sweep style 1st round last year. Philly will come out strong but... I'm sure we will too. We have a lot to prove as well.

D-rock likes this.
  2. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

It's not going to happen. Just internalize this. There's no reason not to be excited about Silas, but Tilman was broke before 2020 where the Rockets are concerned. He spent too much on the team.

D-rock likes this.
  3. treyk3

treyk3 Member

We have to literally drop salary to duck it. It will be completely blatant. All history says he will NOT pay it. It will be absolutely blatant if he ducks it.

Guess what?

We will know within a month if he adds a player for the MLE or adds salary in other ways. We will not know if he ducks it until the trade deadline. It likely involves trading Eric for less salary for a player at a position of need like the five.

BHannes2BHonest and D-rock like this.
  4. T for 3

T for 3 Member

YES! This is exactly what we needed to hear! Now go out there and execute it.

hakeem94, rockets1995 and saleem like this.
  5. Imanimal

Imanimal Member

You have to start somewhere my friend and getting rid of MDA and Morey is a $&@“ great place to start. This is the beginning of a new era. No, we won’t win the Title this year but they will be more enjoyable to watch and competitive with a nice big 7 footer on the floor. If it’s Cousins then I take back my comment of no Title this year. There was zero hope with smallball and now hope has re-emerged for long time Rockets fans as my self. God Bless!

6. ashleyem

ashleyem Member

I think Silas is a little overconfident. As a first time head coach I don’t expect much from him and judging from his answers he was not so sure whether Harden and Russ will leave. I think there’s a good chance we will blow it up. But I am glad Morey is gone and Silas saying he will allow players to shoot pull ups and midrange is music to my ears. Tilman needs to clean house on the entire front house but getting rid of Morey is a good start. Don’t know much about Stone but him not being a good public speaker may work to our advantage. At least he won’t be running his mouth all day like Morey did which will significantly reduce the negative reporting by the media against us. I will give him a chance before I make my judgement on him. Go Rockets!

7. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

At first there was a sadness that loomed over me when Morey left. Now I'm just angry! I hope Tillman has a sit down with Harden like Charlie Thomas did with Hakeem on that flight. I hope Tilman is just upfront with Harden with the numbers and says this is what we have to work with since China sucks Donkey Balls and cut off our funds. Call anyone and everyone you want to play with. If you can fit it in the space and force the situation like Lebron does to get them to play in Houston. They'll make it happen. F* not winning a championship this year. Now I want us to win a title to rub it in MDA and Morey's face. I'm a Rockets fan first. Not like a lin only fan, not a Morey only fan or an MDA only fan. Rafael Stone do your job and get Harden the pieces! The whole roster except for Harden is absolutely expendable to get us to where we need to be.
    In Stone we trust!

Imanimal, saleem and ashleyem like this.
  8. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

Stephen Curry still uses this drill, Stephen Silas taught

don grahamleone and D-rock like this.
  9. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Can Stephen lure away Noel?

D-rock and BHannes2BHonest like this.
  10. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

He is a UFA. Will Stephen be interested in him? I don’t know, but I’m willing to take a gamble with him by using the MLE, despite his warts. He is more skilled than Clint, and there is no cap room.

11. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Jeff Van Gundy was 47, 2 years AFTER he left the Rockets :confused: 41 when hired

[​IMG]

saleem likes this.
  12. banzai

banzai Contributing Member

I didn’t say that either... I assert that working with Morey, he’ll have some of the same tools... like contracts... James harden.

13. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

fwiw, small ball wasn't the problem...it's the players playing it. One problem was that our small ball players were smaller than their small ball players, yet we still lacked quickness (couldn't drive to basket).
    The other issue was lack of adjustments. Small ball team whupped the Lakers soundly in Game 1. Lakers made adjustments, and ... bluh....nothing. Some of this is likely personnel (see above), but it is the job of the coach to work with the personnel you have, and make adjustments accordingly. That didn't happen. For MDA, that's normal...one reason for playoff fizzles. But, it's not a small ball problem, it was a coaching problem. Hopefully, that is fixed.

hakeem94, don grahamleone and D-rock like this.
  14. D-rock

D-rock Member

And the players F'ed us too. Rockets could not take advantage when Harden doubled or trapped.

Russ was not 100% and it showed.

BMac lost his 3ball and his defense was non existent.

Jeff and PJ became reluctant to shoot the 3.

House blew his wad, and our chances.

aaquaa likes this.
  15. YOLO

YOLO Member

Thought it was Silas to the rescue. Morey’s fault. Mda’s fault. Bye westbrick lol

16. jim1961

jim1961 Member

I had the impression that one big reason Silas wanted to come here was to coach Harden and Westbrick. Maybe Horny as well. How are these guys going to feel if both players are gone before the season even begins?

What a clusterf#ck.

17. desi tmac91

desi tmac91 Member

How confident are we in Stone? That PC wasn't good.

D-rock likes this.
  18. bj83gc

bj83gc Member

I'd say stone should be given a chance to prove himself here. I don't know much about him but he said in the press conference that he was involved in all roster decisions the last 9 years. I trusted morey big time, so I think his right hand man should do just fine. He made the "morey" hire for head coach and filled the staff out pretty well. So far he has me intrigued. He will have some huge decisions to make. If Tilman gets out of his way, I'm optimistic he could right the ship. That's a huge if though.

hakeem94 likes this.
  19. D-rock

D-rock Member

Harden and Russ complaining about not having a say in next GM, so that tells me Stone was not their 1st choice.

Stone needs to step up and sign Serge Ibaka and/or trade for Christian Wood.

Patrick may have to intervene and kick Stone's ass.

20. htownrox1

htownrox1 Member

I know there has been injuries and other factors... BUT.. What exactly are Silas' philosophies and strategies again? Because from what I've seen so far with this Rockets team, we have no identity. No defense. Inconsistent offense. Starting PJ Tucker. Like what is going on? I'm trying to give Silas the benefit of the doubt but JVG is starting to look like a missed opportunity.

Say what you want but JVG at least woulda had this team look competent.

D-rock, aaquaa and Fiah like this.