1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Stephen Hawking: "God didn't create universe"

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by G-Money, Sep 2, 2010.

1. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

In the absence of information, no hypothesis can be formulated

-an agnostic-

Again, if everything we can perceive began as a point of singularity, there is no discernible information from before that point.

2. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Yes, but I think we can still postulate from where or how the universe came into existence and judge that some ideas are more valid than others, even if it is mostly conjecture. Example: someone might be of the opinion that Zeus or a Spaghetti Monster created the universe. Well, I am inclined to put more credence in Hawking's idea, than the opinion of these people. Is that not reasonable?

3. BetterThanI

BetterThanI Contributing Member

[​IMG]

4. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Zeus didn't create the universe, but the Greeks still thought he was the head honcho.

Going into creation myths is nice and fun, but even Christians themselves debate over the nature of their God, ranging from a timeless omnipotent being, to one being bound by time or just a plain old Bearded Man in the Sky.

5. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yes, because they are all myths...

6. Dubious

It seems so but it's not. No information means you don't have a clue, either.

Truth=0 for everyone .... tie game.

7. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

IMO the devinely inspired writers of the Bible used many types of literary devices -- parables included -- as well as factual data -- historical figures included -- to convey truths and concepts.

I'm sure Moses had a birthday, for example, although we can't as yet pinpoint the date. However, a great many historical references from different sources show he was as real as Ramses. However, how would you explain Melchizedek, the King of Salem and priest of God that Abraham sought out for his blessing. Melchizadek was "without mother, without father, without beginning and without end of days," according to some Biblical versions. Some claim this is the first reference to the Christ, but I wish I had a solid explanation for this Biblical reference.

I bring this up not to deny the truth of the Bible but to demonstrate there is much we still do not understand or comprehend. When Hawking or someone else proves mathematically that 0 = 1, then I will believe creation sprang from nothing.

8. durvasa

Certain guesses require us to make more assumptions than others. Ideas like Hawking's might be general enough to where it seems plausible. On the other hand, if for instance someone said that it was like Disneyland, and a giant Mickey Mouse created the universe -- well, that seems far more ridiculous because its so specific to our culture.

9. Invisible Fan

I've heard that from Dawkins, but even the best guesses doesn't amount to a hill of beans...especially for a nebulous topic as who or what created the universe.

Answering it is more of an extension of personal belief and opinion and less of any thing such as fact or "truth".

Sometimes a famous scientist admitting that he doesn't know or can't even begin to guess is better for his credentials.

10. cml750

cml750 Member

Stephen Hawking is in for a big surprise one day. Some of the people who replied to this thread are too. Everyone's soul is eternal. Whether you have faith in Jesus decides where your eternal soul spends eternity. I pray some of you guys find the Lord!!!!

11. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The creation story was actually a poem. They know because it hebrew poems of the time had various structures, rhythm, and ways they were written. The story of the creation in that part of Genesis is one of the poems.

That's why it's always interesting to me when people try and claim that it is somehow 100% historically and scientifically accurate in speaking of the creation. It was a poem.

There isn't really a point in arguing with science except with new evidence to modify theories and hypotheses.

12. durvasa

I don't know the details of what Hawking is proposing, but from the quote he says that it is possible for the universe to be created spontaneously out of "nothing". And the alternative is that there was a Creator. Now, I'm sure Hawking can put forward an argument as to why he thinks the universe could have been created without a Creator and he'll devote many pages on this topic in his book. I imagine he has some interesting ideas, though perhaps very abstract and mathematically complex, on why it would be possible. Its worth hearing it out, since one of the central arguments in theism is that a Creator is logically necessary because the universe can not be created out of nothing (the cosmological argument). I don't believe Hawking will go so far as to claim that his view of things is logically necessary, however.

13. Invisible Fan

Or maybe Hawking dazzle his readers with a foray into astrology.

14. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I like fiction...

15. Dubious

I like big surprises!

16. cml750

cml750 Member

I will pray for you!!!

17. cml750

cml750 Member

The big surprise is either an eternity in Heaven or Hell. They both exist and everyone will eventually end up in one place or the other. I know that I will meet the Lord one day!!! Do you?

18. Severe Rockets Fan

Severe Rockets Fan Takin it one stage at a time...

You do realize the majority of the world, not just this thread, do not believe this ridiculously arrogant statement...right?

19. Severe Rockets Fan

Severe Rockets Fan Takin it one stage at a time...

Really? That's the first time I've ever heard this before.

20. Dubious

My overall behavior would be considered moral under the tenants you subscribe too. Just because my intelligently designed brain tends to seek understanding in the realm of fact over faith you think your God will sentence me to eternal hell fire?

That's one cold Dude, there is really nothing I can do about it. You can't fake belief with someone who knows all so I'm caught in a Catch-22.

You have to admit, the 'Let There Be Light' part was a pretty good guess for someone who never heard of background radiation.