1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Stephen Hawking: "God didn't create universe"

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by G-Money, Sep 2, 2010.

1. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Maybe guided isn't the best word to use there, as it to some it may imply the hand of an intelligent being. But its not correct to say that structures which evolve through natural selection came about randomly. Evolution isn't a random process.

2. rhester

rhester Contributing Member

Good point,

actually the better term would be unintended at the level of origins.

or random will do also. :)
    random means without intention or design

for instance a random number generator would indicate unintended selection

3. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

NO, that is not the way entropy works. The chemistry of the universe has gone from singularity to hydrogen to complex organic compounds from the breakdown of the high energy potential of simpler structures to the lower energy transfer potential of more complex, diffused and variable complex structures. Complexity is stability due to it's reduced capacity for energy transfer.

And here is an article by those athiest at National Geographic.

Some of life's raw ingredients may have originated in space, says a new analysis of an Australian meteorite that adds more fuel to the controversial theory. Researchers discovered the organic molecules uracil and xanthine in the meteorite and confirmed they could not have formed on Earth. These molecules, called nucleobases, are precursors to DNA, a set of genetic instructions for organisms on Earth

NO, evolution is as brainless and mindless and random as anything you can imagine. Evolutionary changes can be instigated by a cosmic ray exciting one electron of a sugar molecule in a vast chain of a DNA molecule. That's pretty random. Change is constant, it's degree is variable, it's results may or may not be replicated, it can produce evolutionary winners because they can more readily reproduce copies of themselves or losers that don't reproduce as well or the same just different. There is no plan, just a constant stream of **** thrown on the wall where some sticks and some doesn't.

#263 Dubious, Sep 9, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2010
  4. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I wish I were more spiritual, but I am too cynical.

1 person likes this.
  5. Dubious

I wish I were crazy committed to something I believed down to my core.

[​IMG]

#265 Dubious, Sep 9, 2010
  6. Ubiquitin

Supporting Member

Pretty much.

7. Dubious

COMMITTED TO SKEPTICISM!

COMMITTED TO BLASE'!

8. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Dubious is right about the science stuff. As long as the sun burns, we're in a system with an energy source.

And you could think that if a God controls the environment, then God controls a degree on how life evolves, but the evolutionary process itself is very chaotic and opportunistic.

9. Raven

Raven Member

I agree. My favorite music video, ever.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/zSgiXGELjbc?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/zSgiXGELjbc?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

;)

10. Steve_Francis_rules

You stole my idea, I posted that on the last page already! :cool:

11. Ubiquitin

Supporting Member

A still more glorious dawn awaits.

12. Raven

Raven Member

Sorry.

;)

13. Raven

Raven Member

Only if we reject religious dogma, embrace critical thinking, promote science and education, and quickly find practical solutions to runaway population growth.

14. Ubiquitin

Supporting Member

Religious dogma is a relic of the pre-nationstate era. What is after the nationstate?

15. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

[​IMG]

16. pppbigppp

pppbigppp Member

Religion is base on dogma, science uses axiom. Big difference between the two.

17. Dubious

If I had fast photoshop skill I would have balloons where these guys are saying "not bloody likely"

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    (less in context, but I just liked this pic)

#277 Dubious, Sep 9, 2010
  18. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

A Second Life?

19. Ubiquitin

Supporting Member

Axioms do not rule the masses.

20. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Your analogy presumes a source from where the stream originates, and its a stream of random stuff. And then some of that stuff sticks and some doesn't.

That's not the correct model. Its the stuff that sticks which propagates the stream. So, whether its truly random depends on whether the sticking is random, because otherwise the stream of stuff has bias. Well, what decides if its going to stick or not? Completely arbitrary and independent of everything? No. Nature is governed by physical laws, and those laws determine whether it "sticks" (i.e. survives amidst its local environment).

Note: I'm not asserting that there is a plan or intelligence behind evolution. Its neither random nor planned.