1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Stephen A. Smith: "Heard some news about some potential deal involving Jeremy Lin"

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Voice of Aus, Feb 14, 2014.

1. Codman

Codman Contributing Member

C'mon, Son!!!!

You know it's ridiculous to have Covington in the same sentence as Jeremy.

Yes, I wish we had an all-star PG, but you don't just trade a capable starter for a guy that just played well in the D-League .

2. Raven

Raven Member

In the end, I bet that Lin stays and Assik is shipped out. Yes that poison pill scares a lot of teams away, but Assik is a beastly talent and a difference maker, so it's more a matter of how much Morey can get back not whether he's capable of moving him. If Morey was willing to accepts peanuts, Assik would have been traded already.

3. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

If they can't get what they want they will keep Asik and have the best back up center?

4. Doppleganger

Doppleganger Rookie

because the numbers are clear right? smh

5. Doktor Mndbndr

The problem comes down to Morey having broken his promise to Asik that he would not bring in a starter.

And there is no way for Morey to compensate Asik.

I remember that game in Philly in November, soon after the TT experiment failed and Asik played only 4 minutes... and it was like, this obviously is going to end very badly.

To have him play his prime as a backup, and lose countless millions in future salary (and perhaps tens of millions) is too much to ask, and it is Morey who screwed him, in that respect.

So there is no realistic possibility of a motivated Asik... at most, for the rest of this year. Then he has to be traded over the summer, period.

6. hooroo

hooroo Member

I doubt Morey would make such a promise.

Also no other team offered Asik a contract and the money they gave him was considered ludicrous by the rest of the league.

7. fattz

fattz Member

We are in a win / win window with both the contracts till this time next season. There is not many if any players that are better then either of them coming off the bench because the player in front of them is better. (we have NEVER seen the 13 - 14 Rockets play at full strength with rotations set). The money has been spent but not yet rewarded. IMO, we are a small trade a way from a ring.

With both Lin and Asik being top second tier players that play the same positions as the super stars - We COULD trade a super star for a super star that plays a position of need and not hurt the TEAM that much.

Desperation =
    The draft is when we part ways with one or both of them @ 50 cents on the dollar
    14 - 15 trade deadline - either or both for a bag of chips or less.

8. Doppleganger

Doppleganger Rookie

The second unit isn't as bad as people think. AB/Lin/Casspi/DMo/Asik is decent. If Asik actually played during the season, our win record would probably be over 40, with a solid hold on the #2 seed. People can talk about trades, but the fact is the potential of the current squad hasn't been reached.

9. khyberjones

khyberjones Member

Though I happen to think the current Rockets team is good enough to make a run at the western conference finals and possibly the NBA finals, the Rockets' management themselves seem to have more doubts than say OKC, SA, LAC have about their own trajectories.

Based on that assumption, I think a trade of Lin/Asik to the Knicks for Chandler/Shumpert makes more and more sense. The Rockets are getting nothing out of Asik this year and Chandler, though having some of the same offensive limitations as Asik, would be more successful in Houston than Asik has been to date. That might be enough to get the team more firmly into the top 4 and the west's final 2. The biggest loss for the Rockets would be Lin, as it is very difficult to replace guys who can create their own offense. Without Lin, the Rockets would easily be 6 or 7 games worse in the loss column right now. But they would get Shumpert and that would address a perceived weakness...perimeter defense and possibly give them the matchup they need to battle CP3 or Durant or Westbrook among others.

For the Knicks, assuming Melo has signed off on the Knicks making these inquiries, the trade vastly improves them at the PG position while providing a good replacement (w/some advantages) at Center with Asik. Knicks would probably make the playoffs with that roster change. They would reduce their salary cap hit slightly next year and have max flexibility at the end of the 2014-15 season.

10. gene18

gene18 Rookie

I feel this poster may be a troll. He said that Jeremy choked in the playoffs last year. A true Lin fan would point out that he was injured.

11. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

Don't usually agree with much of anything you post, but this is exactly how I see it too.

12. Raven

Raven Member

If Assik would promise not to pout, the current rotation only needs some minor tweaks for a deep playoff run.

13. Stats

Stats Member

Same here. I don't think you can really move Lin right now for anything better or even close given his contract, and Asik's defense IQ is probably the highest on the team. So in general, I don't see many realistic moves Morey can make that would be an incremental positive to the team.

14. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

Considering we have barely used Asik and have been successful without him, I don't think that's true.

15. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Get off your emotional high horse.

They are grown men making millions of dollars. Suck it up and play ball. Morey could care less if he can't get good talent in return.

16. conquistador#11

a more level and easier acquisition would be, bev and a future pick for shumpert. You let harden play the point which he does anyways and shumpert starts at Sg. Since shumpert is this amazing defender, he can now guard harden's man if that guy gets hot and still have the length to guard his match up. I love this team as is. I would just trade the guy who is unhappy, asik. Such a shame since he could be the missing link to glorious victories.

17. Whoopy

Whoopy Member

If Harden played point he would average a triple double, 20 ppg, 10 asst and 10 turnovers.

18. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

Nah, Lin was terrible before he was injured in game 1.

19. FeaR

FeaR Member

I prefer Bev guard Harden's man rather than Shumpert ... when i read knicks sb nation (to laugh) they are always complaining about Shump because he cannot goes through screens and he is losing his player(good on-ball defender) ... do we want another harden defensively ?

20. king a

king a New Member

I would much rather Hardaway Jr than Shumpert.