1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Stephen A. Smith and Max Kellerman just went in raw on the Rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Snow Villiers, Oct 18, 2018.

1. Swapshop

Swapshop Member

We don't look like we can compete with the Pelicans.

HP3 and Sajan like this.
  2. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

We got worse in terms of talent, we got one year older, and we lost our defensive coach, which was the primary reason we were competitive with the Warriors last season.

We will be a good regular season team. Should easily still win 55-ish games. But I feel bad for anybody who talked themselves into this year being an upgrade over last year's team. It's just not. The Warriors will win fairly easily over this group, assuming health.

HP3, YOLO and bmelo like this.
  3. HP3

HP3 Member

I would think the same thing, if I thought our GM was done with the roster, he is most certainly not.

4. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

I don't believe he is either. But I just thought it was strange how many people thought Melo and Ennis was a legitimate upgrade over Ariza and Luc.

justtxyank likes this.
  5. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

My man Jsizzle is pushing back against the upgrade narrative.

I don't have the pessimism he has, but my biggest concern going into the season was that we wouldn't get the same fight we got last season. I said it in my post right after the loss. Last year was special. The way the team played so hard together is not often repeatable. You got everything you could out of guys like Tucker and Ariza from an effort level night in and night out. Harden, Paul, Capela, etc. Everything was clicking and they were trying so hard. That is often something that falls off.

6. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

"Effort is a skill"

7. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Right. I wish I was not this pessimistic, but I'm having trouble avoiding it. As you said...last year was special. You don't just "run it back" and get the same kind of results. Virtually everything broke our way last year until Chris Paul's hamstring injury, which, frankly still is deflating to think about. I don't see how a dropoff wouldn't be expected. It literally took one game for them to come out flat and uninspired.

Once again...the Rockets are still going to be a solid team this year. I predict the 2 seed. But I view us pretty much only how we stack up against the Warriors at the moment, and we are further away than we were.

8. HP3

HP3 Member

Idk if I legitamately thought that, I guess I was just trying to be hopeful haha.....:(
    Yea that is true and I feel like the only way to offset that is to add more talent.

J Sizzle likes this.
  9. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

any Kellerman hot takes today? asking for @tinman :cool: