1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Stephan Curry is unguardable...

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by sugrlndkid, Oct 31, 2015.

1. BackdoorHarden

Harold Miner reminds me of Michael Jordan

Corey Maggette reminds me of James Harden

Stromile Swift reminds me of Shawn Kemp

Haseem Thabet reminds me of Mutumbo

Draymond Green reminds of Byron Houston

Trevor Ariza reminds me of Scottie Pippen

Signed- Phil

2. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

The comparison is ok because there is no other players I can think of that can get off a shot that quick at will.

You can't really compare Curry to any one. He's on a level by himself this season. MJ didn't even come close to what he's dong THIS season (THIS emphasis :)).

3. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Being young, I was pretty surprised when I first looked up Larry Birds stats, specifically by his 3pt shooting.

He didn't shoot many at all, never made 100 3's in a season, and has multiple sub .299 seasons from 3 point land(4 in a row) I understand the nba was very different back in his prime, but it's still a bit underwhelming considering his reputation of being a legendary shooter. Perhaps he was a legendary mid range shooter.

4. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

While you were discrediting Bird, you conveniently didn't mention his multiple .400+ seasons from 3..... good work

Stats clearly show Bird was an awesome 3PT shooter when he attempted a decent amount.

Also, not all long range shots are 3's.

5. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

In the 80's Bird led the league many years in 3 point field goals made. You have to understand that no one made 100, it just was a different game until the 90's.

6. i3artow i3aller

<iframe width="500" height="300" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/AzkKt9_SoIA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

7. Caesar

Caesar Member

Why do i constantly see people use SPG as an indication that Curry is a good defender? Harden had 2 spg and wasn't he top 3 in DWS also? Yet he was constantly trashed as a terrible defender and people always were quick to point out that his spg didn't mean he was a good defender but are now ignoring it when it comes to Curry. Curry has a great all around defensive team that helps mask his weaknesses.

That video also doesn't mention that PER is heavily based on offense and only adds spg and bpg into its equation. You can call Currys season the most efficient season ever, but the greatest individual season ever is ridiculous. Wilt has the 2 best PER seasons back to back, in those 160 games he averaged 48ppg and 25rpg AND the NBA didn't keep track of Steals or Blocks which would certainly up his PER to unreachable heights. Michael Jordan's 31.7 PER season, he won the scoring title with 35ppg, the steals title with 3.2spg, averaged 1.6 bpg as a guard, WS leader, 2nd in DWS behind Hakeem and won DPOTY. LeBron had better all around #s than Curry while playing great D in his 2 best PER seasons of 31.6. Larry Bird averaged 30, 9 and 6 while being in the 50,40,90 club and he only had a 27.8 PER.

So yes, Curry is having an amazing season, and the most efficient shooting season ever, but this is not the greatest individual season of all time.

8. Caesar

Caesar Member

And why is that video in 144p quality in 2016?

9. BiGGieStuFF

BiGGieStuFF Contributing Member

Sometimes when a video is recently uploaded it takes a while to process before the full resolution version is available. It was published 2/29/2016. I've seen it take up to a day or 2 before high resolution version is available. It's usually faster than that.

10. daoshi

daoshi Contributing Member

Numbers along doesn't mean anything. Jordan had better scoring seasons before the Bulls won the whole thing, but he was not regarded as a great player until then.

Personally, I think Wilt is the best ever, based on how dominating he was over his peers. But I have to put MJ over him because of winning. The same thing goes with Curry, he put up those number on a team going for the best regular season record, that's why it's special.

11. Caesar

Caesar Member

What? Yes he was. He was seen as an amazing player long before he won a championship. Can you imagine a player averaging 33,6 and 6 with 3 steals and a block in 6 seasons(36, 7 and 7 in 53 playoff games) and not be considered a great player because he had no ring while only 2 other teams came out of the East in all those 6 years?

I won't argue Wilt's greatness. I think if there was a draft pool with all the players ever, he'd always be #1 draft pick based on his massive size and athleticism and skill. MJ's playoff performances places him over him on a GOAT list for me though. Wilt is my #2. You can't argue era differences with players like MJ, Wilt, LeBron, Hakeem, Kareem, Shaq, Kobe, Duncan. I feel like Magic would have to play SF in this era. Bird might have to play stretch 4 in this era also.

12. daoshi

daoshi Contributing Member

He was not regarded that way by major media.

I was a big Bulls fan lived in Chicago area during the time, the local media always complained about Jordan not getting credit for being a "great player", but just a "ball hog" who puts up big number, like D. Wilkins.

13. Caesar

Caesar Member

I remember watching this video where when the announcer of the show introduced MJ and he said something along the lines of "the greatest basketball player ever" and this was before he won a ring. Let me try and find it.

14. OpenLayup-Why3?

Curry is so good. Probably on Jordan's level. From time to time I look at GSW roster and can't help but think, that they aren't even that good. It's all Curry. Decent coaching at the least.

15. StrawberryJamm

I think an expert level **** talking, mind games defense would be more effective than actually attempting to guard him.

16. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

Curry looking like a pos chucker tonight. It's awful.

17. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

9-21 3-12 from 3 and 22 points is hardly bad, ok maybe it is for SC.

18. YOLO

YOLO Member

Lol spoke a little too soon. His line is bad for his standards but great for pretty much any other player right now

19. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Steph Curry has turned basketball into a joke.

20. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Man... Made it more respectable at end there.... GSWs/SC too good...