1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Stephan Curry is unguardable...

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by sugrlndkid, Oct 31, 2015.

1. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Arenas was more scorer than shooter. His career stats show it.

He had a great couple of years scoring-wise. I remember his going toe-to-toe with Kobe one game, and "out-toeing" Bryant. 50pts vs 40pts.... in LA, if memory serves.

Gilbert isn't Top 20 shooting-wise
    Quick list of guys above him....
    Bird
    Curry
    Allen
    Miller
    Price
    Nash
    Dirk
    Petrovic
    Maravich
    West
    Durant
    Stockton
    Stojakovic
    Rice
    Hornecek
    Mullin

There are plenty who might be better pure-shooters (Hodges, D Curry, D Ellis, Barros, Kerr) but they mostly got open shots from other players. Curry takes dudes off the dribble and does whatever he wants. His shots go with very high difficulty level.

The difference is, Harden needs calls. Most calls of his are legit, but that doesn't mean he's going to get them (namely playoffs).

#381 Houstunna, Dec 2, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2015
  2. mac2yao

mac2yao Member

Curry is marrying high efficiency shooting from just about everywhere with creative dribble-drives and finishes and elite passing. Right now, he's almost the perfect offensive player.

Even his defense has become pretty decent. He plays hard and with good technique on the defensive end, but his size and frame (Paul is shorter, but more solidly built) are significant limiters to his individual defense. But he's a definite asset to team defense, as he's smart about rotations, double-teams and he's a thief in the passing lanes.

3. Mr. Dominant

Mr. Dominant Contributing Member

Curry keeps on improving. Hate to not like the dude. We are witnessing greatness. The kids these days will say its the Curry era.

4. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

agree.

And I'd say the only other great three-point shooter who had other ways to score was Bird. Great all over the court. And he pretty much invented the step back jumper, or at least first to make it deadly. Some say Kiki invented it, but Kiki says he didn't really start doing it until the later part of his career.

5. MoreydaGOAT

MoreydaGOAT Member

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/DZuouhUqcf8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Ray allen didnt do layups, cause he had hops and would put you on a poster ask TMAC

6. i3artow i3aller

Kemba :eek::(:mad:

<iframe width="440" height="285" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/EVqlkNm9seg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

7. i3artow i3aller

:eek:

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">This. This is madness: <a href="https://t.co/OZQboOsJYT">pic.twitter.com/OZQboOsJYT</a></p>&mdash; Bo Schwartz Madsen (@BoSchwartz) <a href="https://twitter.com/BoSchwartz/status/672236862929506304">December 3, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

8. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Once Steph Curry masters the 4th dimension, the line will actually be going backwards.

9. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Ok best shooter all time whatever.... dayum you GSW

10. Honey Bear

Honey Bear Contributing Member

Blah blah, boring.

In the entire NBA, the top 5 in +/- are:

1. Steph Curry
    2. Draymon Green
    3. Andre Ig
    4. Kay Thompson
    5. Harry Barnes

And yeah, they're all on the same team.

Sometimes when a team clicks, a team clicks. Things fall into place. Curry's stroking it, but anyone puts up ridiculous numbers without adversity. Look at Jerry Lin for 1 week in NY before he was scouted.

Let's see how they do against the Spurs in the playoffs. Or a healthy Cavs team. Curry's the fav for MVP, but it's insulting to put him with the All Time greats. What we're seeing right now is a long, long stroke of luck that's caught a league going through some downtime, off guard. As a thoroughbred horse, I'm not impressed.

11. dandorotik

dandorotik Contributing Member

Plus, if you look at the Hornets, they played crappy defense. Teams need to knock him on his ass or at least bother the **** out of him- at least give him a challenge.

12. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Yeah, but only one of them has a +/- greater than the team as a whole. Guess which one.

GSW's point differential per game is higher than four of those players.

And if you believe in Real Plus Minus, only two of them are ahead of Harden.

13. Honey Bear

Honey Bear Contributing Member

Stats are pointless after a certain point.

This team is locked in and the rest of the league, aside from the Spurs, are absolutely floundering and adjusting to injuries, age and new rosters.

Curry's the engine that pushes this car over the top. No doubt. But we are looking at a system that has 8 players playing at their highest possible level, in synergy with each other. With Ezeli's and Rush's and Bogut's, Livingston's coming off the bench to keep up the median. Look at the PER of every player who's played compared with the next best teams.

Shoot me for saying it, but it's a bubble. And I'm waiting for the rest of the league to sack up and burst it.

14. tksense

tksense Member

:confused:
    I've said many times last year regarding this very phenomenon between the MVP candidates. Look whose teammates play their best in their career? Look whose teammates play below their norm or the worst?

That phenomenon last year only played itself out to the two extremes this year for all to see. Still don't believe it?

15. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

You were the one who used stats to prove your point.

So it is a bit sad that you are also the first to say the stats are pointless (when thè stats do not support your point of view).

16. roksoer

roksoer Member

You're boring. Not impressed by the feat below??? You're kinda like that guy tinman I'm guessing.

17. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

It's not hyperbole when I tell you I've never seen anything like it. His range is incredible....and he makes it look effortless.

18. tmac2k8

tmac2k8 Member

Teams need to guard him at the 3 point line and accept the risk of him blowing by with the arching lay up.

19. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I think that's where we are. If you have a shot blocker down low that helps...you can afford to play ole bullfighter defense with him and funnel him down to a shot blocker....only problem is, he's also a great passer...so he'll find the open man when you collapse on him.

20. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

This bruh was pulling up from 40 last night. Ridiculous.