1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Steph Curry is the 2016 Most Valuable Player

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Commodore, May 9, 2016.

1. i3artow i3aller

2. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Largest % of votes received, MVP voting history<br><br>Curry: 100%, '15-'16<br>LeBron: 99.8%, '12-'13<br>Shaq: 99.8%, '99-'00<br>Garnett: 99.1%, '03-'04</p>&mdash; NBA on ESPN (@ESPNNBA) <a href="https://twitter.com/ESPNNBA/status/730073512279482368">May 10, 2016</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

3. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

Say "elite" again, I dare you! I double dare you!

4. i3artow i3aller

<iframe width="500" height="300" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/H_JWHmuzrq8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

5. Outlier

Outlier Member

One of the best ever. Cant wait for his mvp speech. This is a man of character. Too bad a couple of his teammates have zero.

6. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

7. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Make one for:

Curry Sprains Knee: Returns fit and ready and drops 40

Harden Sprains Knee: Returns overweight and shoots 12/54 from the field and 3/32 from 3 point land

:grin:

8. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Nobody has had a season this much better than the rest of his peers... ever.

There's not necessarily more top tier talent today than there was when Magic, Larry, Jordan, Dream, Pippen, Barkley, Malone all shared the court during the same era. The runner-up this year was still relatively obscure/unrecognized Kawahi Leonard.

They should also list who got those single votes the years where Shaq, Lebron, and Garnett were all close to being unanimous (i'm guessing its some combination of Duncan and Kobe).

EDIT: Just looked it up. It was Iverson, CARMELO ANTHONY, and Jermain O'neal/Peja respectively... yeah, I think we can assume it was more a joke that there never was a unanimous vote prior... especially with Carmelo getting a vote in 2013.

9. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

but they have. just looking at something like PER, curry finished 3.3 ahead of 2nd place (durant, actually). lebron has had 3 seasons in that ballpark (3.1, 3.3, 3.7), jordan had several seasons of about 4 ahead and wilt had at least 2 seasons of 5 ahead (and then i stopped counting).

exactly. that's why i didn't understand the groundswell of support for "curry just has to be unanimous, right?" as if he was the first to deserve it and should be recognized as such when it was basically a joke that several other people before didn't get it and now looks a little silly that he is the only one to get it.

10. Juxtaposed Jolt

In all reality, are they even doing a Player's MVP, this year?

11. rocketman12

rocketman12 Member

Yeah the players MVP award comes after the players hand out awards for best dressed, best pre game hand shake routine, and best person to go clubbing with.

12. J.R.

J.R. Member

Steph Curry winning MVP unanimously shows how watered down our league is. &mdash; Tracy McGrady

:grin:

13. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

TMAC mad

14. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

15. rocketman12

rocketman12 Member

That's the equivalent of when baseball writers are pissed that even babe Ruth didn't go into the hall of fame unanimously and are determined that no one can get in unanimously.

16. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Steph Curry joins Tom Brady (2010 NFL MVP) and Wayne Gretzky (1982 Hart Trophy winner) as only unanimous MVP's in their respective leagues</p>&mdash; ESPN Stats &amp; Info (@ESPNStatsInfo) <a href="https://twitter.com/ESPNStatsInfo/status/730076237876469761">May 10, 2016</a></blockquote>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">LeBron James earned his 9th career top-3 <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/MVP?src=hash">#MVP</a> finish<br><br>Only Michael Jordan has more in NBA history (10)</p>&mdash; ESPN Stats &amp; Info (@ESPNStatsInfo) <a href="https://twitter.com/ESPNStatsInfo/status/730139359131762688">May 10, 2016</a></blockquote>

17. Rocket_Man_2.0

Golden State proved he's not the MVP. When he missed those games the Warriors didn't miss a beat. The players choice will tell who the real MVP is...Lebron! Lebron, Durant, Leonard even Green...all deserve MVP over Curry. It's most valuable player. Not best player on best team award. This reminds me of that year they gave Nash MVP, when everybody know Kobe should've won.:rolleyes:

18. icecreamman

icecreamman Member

steven curry is not mvp. he's a joke. like you have to be very stupid to think he is mvp. dude just chucks up 3's nothing else

19. Rocket_Man_2.0

Curry is the most overrated player of all time! Have him take Hardens place on the Rockets and see how good he is. Curry benefits from a good coach, good system and good players surrounding him, with the referees chipping in also. MVP my ass!:p

20. Caesar

Caesar Member

lol @ Melo, Peja and Jermaine getting MVP #1 votes and all the top % are from the 00's and '10's. Makes Curry's hype on "unanimous" look weak af. But, the media will hype it as the greatest MVP season ever.

NBA needs to keep voting for their awards in house. Media bias is so obvious and the top talent of the 2010's is super weak. I maintain that this era has better talent depth overall, but less true top talent.

I still believe 100% that James Harden should have been MVP last season. I'm not even a Harden fan and i want the Rockets to trade him before he walks to LA in 2018. He absolutely deserved it, but of course the Warriors and Curry are the NBA darlings so no way the media could have voted for a player that gets to the line and plays for a team with Dwight Howard and Daryl Morey. The media had that narrative from the moment they realized GS was good, because a few of them actually had GS not even making the playoffs that offseason.

But, now Curry along with Nash are in a group of 13(12 if you don't count Mel Daniels 2 ABA MVPs) with 2 or more MVP's. That's elite company that lacks Shaq, Hakeem, Kobe, Oscar, KG, DR J, Barkley, Admiral, Dirk just to name a few of the top 25 players of all time.

Hell, Karl Malone has 2 that i don't think he deserves. 97, Jordan should have gotten it. Led his team to 69 wins after a 72 win championship season and his 4th title overall, heavily favorite to get 5th title. (Name me any player today that could lead their team to that and not win MVP? And people tried to say Jordan was media hyped? Curry got it last season on a 69 win team with weaker stats. Now he leads his team to 73 wins and it's unanimous?)

'99 was a short lockout season, but Shaq had a full 5 points better PER(30.6 PER) than Malone and his Lakers won just a few games less. Karl Malone shouldn't have won that either. Honestly, Shaq should have had 3 in a row so that takes Iverson's 00 season win out too.

It's just a shame. I fully believe the history of MVP awards would look extremely accurate with voting kept to people inside the NBA. Maybe a combination of media and NBA members?