1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Stein: Rockets won't tinker at deadline

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by NIKEstrad, Feb 17, 2003.

1. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Member
    Supporting Member

From Marc Stein's chat this afternoon...

Greg (Beaumont): Will the Rockets make any moves at the deadline? Possibly with the Clippers?

Moderator: (12:48 PM ET ) The Clippers, by all accounts, will not be moving any of their guys. Houston already made its move with Kenny Thomas and James Posey.

Full transcript of the chat will be available later.

So the ESPN breakdown goes like this...
    Fred Carter: It may be in the Rockets best interest to break up the backcourt.

David Aldridge: The Rockets have listened to Mobley offers.

Marc Stein: The Rockets definitely won't make any moves.

2. Sane

Sane Member

I really really have a feeling that these guys know NOTHING about what's actually going on and are just making calculated assumptions.

3. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

I personally don't think the Rockets will make a move before the deadline. But I suspect some moves will be made in the offseason if this team can't get back on track.

In terms of offseason moves, I don't see us moving Griffin unless we get a solid PF in return. I think Mobley will be the one that gets moved. And of course Glen Rice's 9M contract that expires after next season would be a huge asset for the Rockets for teams that like to obtain expiring contracts.

Chris

4. barbourdg

barbourdg Member

As clutch mentioned in another thread, a deal almost went down last week, so I still think theres a possibility.

Rockets want to make the playoffs at just about any expense this year. Its obvious this team will not make it, so I think the Les of old (that made big trades), is looking at all his options to improve.

I would still like to get Brent Barry in here!;)

5. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

More from Stein.

http://espn.go.com/nba/columns/stein_marc/1510300.html

Besides better ball movement and some consistent production from power forward, what do the Houston Rockets need to hold onto the No. 8 spot in the West?

Besides a return to their stingy, pre-slump defense?

The Rockets, it seems, need Glen Rice.

It was Rice, heretofore not known for such speeches, who called three team meetings in the first two months of the season to preach sharing the ball and maintaining focus. Without Rice, who hasn't played since mid-January because of knee and shoulder trouble, Houston has been missing a veteran voice.

* Oh, yeah: Hard to see how the Rockets' fade from a surprising 23-15 start can put Rudy Tomjanovich on the hot seat. Tough to blame Rudy T for not maintaining that pace with a team this young, in the West, and with everything extra asked of the coach as part of the arrival and incorporation of Yao Ming.

Question to disgruntled Houstonians: Is a coaching change something you really want to throw at Yao now? Or even this offseason?

###
    Chris

6. Achebe

Achebe Member

Hilarious how Marc Stein is replying to the bbs from a 'major sports website'.

Why doesn't he just register? :)

7. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

In order to read the board, you must be registered.

8. Rockets34Legend

I think those 3 guys just want to us to steer their way so we can get all excited. Nothing is going to happen. But I would really like a quality PG to run this team and keep Francis at the 2.

9. Achebe

Achebe Member

cue suspense music... bom bom BOMMMMMM.

Sorry, the smiley should have been a ;)

I was actually trying to round about joke that maybe one of our... ah, nevermind... one of these days I'll have the requisite delivery to avoid e'splaining my jokes. :( :D

10. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

Sorry, mis-read that.

I just find it hilarious the way that comment from Stein read:

Question to disgruntled Houstonians: Is a coaching change something you really want to throw at Yao now? Or even this offseason?

He should have just said, "Question to disgruntled ClutchCity.net BBS members" because THAT was a post, not a comment in a column on ESPN.

:)

11. Achebe

Achebe Member

Oh definitely Jeff. How would that ('disgruntled Houston fans') make sense to anyone other than a bbs member?

It seems like most Houstonians are stoked to stare at Yao and Steve. The spazzes, like myself, that call for Rudy's head... are the sort of weirdos that hang out on basketball sites all day. :)

12. LiTtLeY1521

LiTtLeY1521 Member

"Fred Carter: It may be in the Rockets best interest to break up the backcourt."

:)

I think he reads this board too.

13. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Member

It goes beyond ESPN.

You know how TSN magazine has weekly blurbs on each team? I don't have my copy in front of me, but the Rockets' blurb mentioned how "Some Rockets fans have been calling for a coaching change."

Ahem. Yes, some of us BBSers have.

The same blurb said that Rudy should be allowed to stick around.

14. xiki

xiki Member

With back-to-back games tonite and tomorrow a trade would be a 'deadline' deal. Mobs? I really have little feel for how the coaches and GMs regard him.
    Cato? I suspect his size, 'reasonable amount of remaining contract', and attitude this year is enticing for many out there.

So, deal or no deal? I believe for the Rox it is probably in David Falk's hands. He has MoT, GR, and Brand. Does he start moving pieces? If so, where do they fall?

Give me Brand, take Cato for him. Give me Antonio Davis, take Cat and MoT for him. Then find me a shooter, please.

That is all.

15. kountzer

kountzer Member

The Rockets chances of making the playoffs went from slim to none when they traded Kenny Thomas.

16. Live

Live Member

Considering the fact that they are holding on for their playoff lives, it may be a little late to make a significant deal and have to start establishing chemistry all over again. I still think this team has a streak or 2 left in them, some players just need to grow up and grow up quick.

Now if it's a no-brainer,...

17. Tonaaayyyy

Tonaaayyyy Member

I think Bill Worrell reads the BBS because he usually comes up talking about the stuff on here. Bill if you're reading this.. give me a shoutout on TV :D :D :D

18. SA Rocket

SA Rocket Member

Please,oh please put this in the running for one liner post of the year! :D

How sweet would it be if Bill started out tonight with,"Good evening,this is Bill Worrell along with Calvin Murphy bringing you tonight's big match up. But before we go on, I'd like to give props to my man Tony back home. Tonaaayyy, whaat'sss uuuuuuuppppp?"

19. Tonaaayyyy

Tonaaayyyy Member

LMAO

Bill: and our Player of the game for today, Steve Francis with 55 points career high. But lets give a big shoutouts once again to Tonaaayyyy

Calvin: Big Fella!! Big Fella!

20. tigereye

tigereye Member

Great, now were using ESPN as a reference for the latest insight into the behind-the-scenes whealing and dealing of the NBA. :rolleyes:

These brain-less idiots arent even on the same page. They are just contridicting themselves. The only one I would "probably" trust is "tha' DA" cuz he can be right occasionaly. But other times he can be say way off the answer that he begins to make me wonder if the "DA" term he uses to refer to himself really means Dumb A$S!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

When Mark Berman digs up one of his famous "Scoops" regarding Rockets trade talks, let me know.....................He's the only one that gets it right pretty much all the time.