1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

(Stein) Rockets have interest in Markieff Morris

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rocketpower2, Dec 6, 2015.

1. Crashlanded19

Crashlanded19 Member

On my day off? :(

2. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

And the fact that Jones plays along side one of the absolute best rebounders in Dwight while Markief has not gives Morris an advantage. You are desperate to come up with something to support a point that is dead. Markief is not and never has been more will he ever be a good rebounder or even better than TJones (who is not a particularly good rebounder either).

Basically you want to pay a player 8 million guaranteed over the next 4 seasons to suck rebounding when you already have a player that sucks rebounding for 2.5 million a season and is off the books this summer. Thats just not smart.

3. crash5179

That's what texts are for. And you can keep your key because he changed the locks!!

:p

1 person likes this.
  4. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

5. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Alot of folks here are theorizing (or have in the past) that this move would have more to do with the fear of having to overpay for Jones & D-Mo this Summer (assuming they are getting blown away with max offers), and locking in a likewise PF long-term.

What I have to say to that is that its BS to make those assumptions already. We have no idea what teams will pay for Jones this offseason. While there is likely to be a ton of capspace, and other young players have been overpaid this past Summer, the real answer is there are no offers on the table yet, and we won't know until July.

Then there are those who are convinced he's some sort of upgrade. My answer to that -

-You think Jones is lazy or un-aware on Defense.... Morris plays Hardenesque at times. He's not good
    -You want a stretch four... so you want Mr. Turnaround jumper from long 2 Markieff?
    -You want more size than Jones at the 4?... Jones has about an inch on him for standing reach.
    -You want a better rebounder.... Jones averages about a rebound more than Markieff
    -You don't like Jones because he's a young thug who stomped on a homeless person... But you want a guy who is on the list of NBA's most likely to murder someone, and is currently a suspect on several different other violence offenses?

I honestly do think that Markieff is probably a better player than Jones, but let's be honest he's a marginal upgrade with a crazy bad checkered past. I mean... he's a bad dude with a bad attitude. At least Artest back in his Artest "crazy eyes" days never publicly gave up on his team, and caused as much fuss publicly as Markieff has in the past 12 months.

Honestly... if this is just about fear of having to overpay to keep our PF's then if that's the case I vote for saying F it to all of them, and opting to keeping Capela and Harrell as our 4's if Les doesn't want to pay for a higher priced player than a rookie. I've had no problem with any of Morey's roster moves up to this point (even though a few of them haven't worked out like TWill, RWhite, etc), but this might be the first time where (IF THIS IS TRUE) I will say WTF are you thinking dude?????

6. crash5179

Markief's career numbers stack up worse against TJones than this season's numbers do.

Add to the fact that Markief has never played next to a dominant rebounder and Jones has his entire career and there is zero to support Markief as a better rebounder over Jones.

As far as shooting numbers, just look at them. Jones has always been a superior post player over Morris and now his outside shot is better too. Morris has gotten worse and worse throughout his career while TJones has improved every single season. Morris is at .279 from 3 and TJones is at .387.

7. crash5179

To be clear. I would rather let TJones walk for nothing this summer than guarantee Morris 8 million a season over the next 4 seasons.

8. Fantasma Negro

Its so obvious this is going to happen. Its going to be Jones and Brewer for Morris because we are hard capped we have to give up more money than we can take back. With Brewer gone KJ (who has been improving his 3pt % with the vipers) gets Brewers mins and plays the 3 and D game. If Lawson starts playing the way he used to we really have a very solid squad that could be putting it all together at just the right time. Of course nothing could be done until next Tuesday

9. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Very well said. I agree. I don't get the attraction with bringing in a lesser player than a guy we're frustrated with....and committing 4 years at $8 million for that guy.

I'm not a T Jones fan at all...but I don't see this move helping us. If it happens, I hope I'm wrong.

10. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

You really didn't leave any grey area over these last few pages, but at least this is a nice summation. :)

11. Camarograna2

Camarograna2 Contributing Member

with the cap increases there is not much you will be able to get for 8 mil a season for the production Morris makes. Please name us the available options.

This is more of a long term move to solidify back up position for the PF spot and allow Dmo to get paid.

12. J.R.

J.R. Member

No kidding!

13. Codman

Codman Contributing Member

It's still #FOE, apparently. The wounds are still there.

14. dobro1229

X2

(plus give further opportunity to Harrell, Capela, and of course a bigger role for a hopefully resigned D-Mo)

15. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

I think people wanting Morris for Jones comes down to the grass is greener on the other side type of thinking.

16. dobro1229

I guess my only thoughts in a positive direction for this trade would be if I thought Morris @ 8Mil for 3 more years vs. Brewer @7.7 for 2 more after this season would be better value.

After looking deeper and deeper into this... I think I'd rather keep Brewer. If Brewer is this bad after this season, and he is truly un-tradeable, I think I'd rather use the waive & stretch on him that to have Morris for 3 more years after this one.

17. Raven

Raven Member

This might be coming from the Suns to raise Markieff's trade value. I see it as a minor move unless the Rockets are seeing addition by subtraction. Maybe they are eager to trade away bad eggs and are willing to take a worse deal now just to get rid of them?

18. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I would agree. Change for the sake of change....I'm not sure it's necessary at this point.

19. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Contributing Member

Let's roll the dice!

[​IMG]

Although I support Jones and don't hate him, I don't think he'll be staying here come FA. Let's see if we can't pull a 2nd round pick or something out of PHX.

20. smileandnod

smileandnod Member

hard to argue from a statistical point of view that MM is better than tj, cause tj in better in almost every state. Even ones I didn't see mentioned here like turnovers. I guess the one thing that doesn't show up in the stats is missed point blank layups, which cory Brewer and tj have to lead the league in. Maybe mm could make some. Still don't like adding bad attitude players onto a team that's struggling.