1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Stein plop] Jae'Sean Tate will sign with Houston after free agency begins

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Dr of Dunk, Nov 17, 2020.

1. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

After watching his highlights from the Ausi league , I came away thinking you play him as a guard or small forward. With Harden he can fit into any of those spots and be productive , yeah he'll be a mismatch for some of the bigger 4's. Really depends upon the matchup.

If he can shoot 35% or better from three and play the type of d he has thus far , I'll call it a win.

2. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

XXX On a two-year extension for Tucker, the most the Rockets can offer under the CBA is just under $20M total. XXX

CORRECTION: A two-year Tucker extension COULD be as high as $25M total. My bad.

For me, personally, I would tie Tucker's extension fate to Harden's. If Harden commits to the team and drops any trade demands, I'd promptly offer Tucker an extension. Probably a 1+1 (team option on Year 2), like the Heat did with Iguodala. But if the Harden trade demands are going to continue to linger, I don't want to commit to a Tucker extension. Better (for the team) to wait, see if an acceptable Harden trade materializes, and if one does, look to move Tucker for another first round pick if they can get one for him. And it pains me to say that, since Tucker is one of my favorite players. But that is probably what would be in the best interests of the organization.

#162 BimaThug, Dec 28, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2020
  3. b2bizchina

b2bizchina Member

Ibaka's salary is $9M/year

D-rock likes this.
  4. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

Bima What do you think of the potential benefit to just giving Tucker the extension to ensure that we have that bit of salary to trade next year if needed?

5. cerophilik

cerophilik Member

Thank you

We like Tucker and what he brings but yes if Harden doesn’t commit to staying it would be better to trade him.

Kevooooo likes this.
  6. Doctor Robert

Doctor Robert Contributing Member

Well... I'm wrong already on this one. Tate has been so smart and tenacious that he performed admirably during the Lakers games, and clearly has potential for doing a lot of things on the court. The next step is for him to become "elite" at a few skills.

Playoff testing is still required, but I don't think he's going to be a regular-season-phenom, then turn into a post-season-bust. We may or may not be able to find that out this year, but I'm crossing my fingers we do.

JUST PLEASE don't put him at PF often. It doesn't seem like that is the intent anyway.

7. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Bet you know that name now :p

htwnbandit and RustyHarden like this.
  8. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

He definitely needs to keep getting more playing time when Gordon/Wall/Dipo are in the lineup. The minutes need to be reduced for Nwaba (should reduce Gordon's minutes too but obviously need to keep/improve his grade value).

AceOfSpades likes this.
  9. mac_got_this

mac_got_this Member

Cut out bmac minutes.

10. clutchdabear

clutchdabear Member

if pj doesn't fetch a first rd pick in any potential trade... i'd rather the rockets try to find a trading partner for gordon and house to shed salary, and sign pj to a 2 yr extension (2nd yr option). having a veteran voice like pj for all of this season and at least some of next season would do wonders for jae'sean tate's development, and eventually tate can take pj's mantle and be the quarterback of the defense.

11. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

Really enjoyed watching Tate get an opportunity to start last night. A double-double in his first start with some great hustle, scoring and playmaking. Keep working on your 3-ball young fella and you're going to be beyond a solid rotational player.

12. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

Tate is an interesting player and an incredible value -- basically a league-average player statistically on a dirt-cheap contract. From an organizational standpoint, I'd much rather invest in a young, cheap player like this, than sign a league-average veteran player for big dollars... especially for where we are at in our rebuilding timeline. Finding good defenders is an area where you can find "value", as most talent evaluators are biased by offensive production.