1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Stein] Harden has left Houston today

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ashleyem, Dec 3, 2020.

1. HardenVolumeOne

if the nba wasnt rigged, you're celtics and our rockets would have played in the 2018 nba finals

people forget earlier that year the rockets and celtics played an exciting game at the toyota center( I WAS THERE)

2. Boston84

Boston84 Member

I remember the game....last years game in the garden was good too, Jaylen hit the 3 off tatums missed free throw and a lucky bounce. U guys took the w tho

saleem and D-rock like this.
  3. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

See post above on what I mean. I think Celtics storied franchise will always be up there and rightfully so, but the Tomjanovich snub is the most clear example of what I mean. You have a guy that had not only a successful college/nba career (even came back after Kermit Washington sucker punch almost killing him from leaking Cerebrospinal fluid from his brain) - return to all star form and play a few more years - then coach b2b chips, high win % coach / Olympic gold etc etc and he's consistently blocked from entering the hall. I seriously think houston is basically treated like a mid/low tier franchise. I don't expect them to have the history of a lakers/Celtics/Bulls and other well deserving franchises but I also don't think they should be flat out forgotten.

Blah - I guess page before.

saleem and Boston84 like this.
  4. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

So I'm guessing the lack of a quick response on my Rudy T example ... Isn't a simple "victim complex" / "Harden only fan" kind of reply you probably see a lot of here. I don't post much in the GARM lately.

I'll admit I'm a biased Rockets fan (I'm originally from Houston.. And will still be a fan of the team long after harden or the next star comes and goes) - but I am not the type of person to not know bball history or about other franchises too. I also obviously know as a fan that the Rockets don't have the history of the more historical/deserving franchises, but that Rudy T HOF thing really bothered me - more so than the rocket/bull arguments - or really any media debate/votes whatever - I don't really pay too much attention to sports talk - I mean if the content is something I'm interested in and there's good debate but I really think that ended a long time ago. I don't know if it's because it was clear as day the hall should have let him in on the 1st time eligible or if it's because I've met him when he was coaching the Rockets, but that never made sense on being skipped repeatedly. I mean the man's basketball career alone was pretty good and you have lesser players in, then the coaching part alone, he should have been 1st ballot in, I think it took like 15 times of eligibility as a coach iirc.

I mean if this guy played/coached a different team than I liked he'd still be deserving of getting in. As far as basketball hof snubs against a player/coach it has to be near the top.

5. D-rock

D-rock Member

6. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Don't forget how long it took to get Guy V into the HOF. That was an even bigger travesty than Rudy T to be quite honest.

saleem, D-rock and CCity Zero like this.
  7. bmelo

bmelo Member

I am confident in this roster but was affraid Harden leaves. Thats great news

D-rock and Zoplicone like this.
  8. kingkingston

kingkingston Member

No we were not allowed to trade EG at the deadline because we signed him too late. He could only be moved in the off season

9. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

I meant this upcoming trade deadline but Batum was waived ... and I wasn’t serious

10. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Absolutely agree with you, the heartbreaking losses didn't help with me w/ recalling history but even then - his coaching style - ahead of his time/career length/legends he coached/wins and the helping to integrate the sport (no discredit to Haskins) - but it was huge.

"He is credited with introducing college basketball to a national television audience with the Game of the Century at the Houston Astrodome in 1968 where the Cougars ended UCLA s historic winning streak. And with players like Don Chaney and Hayes, the first black players at the University of Houston, he is credited with being one of the driving forces behind integrating the college game.

Hayes likes to tell the story of the day in 1964 when Guy Lewis drove to tiny Rayville, La. to drive him to Houston. Lewis placed him in the backseat of his car next to Lewis own daughter and son.

Hayes said he was more than nervous: in Louisiana at that time he wasn t allowed to sit next to a white girl. This was one year after Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. s I Have a Dream speech. And Hayes says that when he crossed the Louisiana/Texas line he considered that his own free at last moment.

He just truly embraced me and made me a great player and made my dreams come true, said Hayes. I just love him so much and his family. And this is such a wonderful, wonderful, wonderful career topping for him because he deserves to be here."

https://www.khou.com/article/sports...ined-in-basketball-hall-of-fame/285-320764777

This part from Elvin Hayes, just awesome. I know you don't need the history lesson but hoping it can be a reminder to read up on UH/Phi Slama and why it honestly felt even sweeter when Hakeem beat Ewing for the chip in the pros - and then of course the reunion in 95 for Clyde and Dream to finally get one together. I basically like to tie in Rockets winning it w/ Hakeem and then again with Glide as somewhat of a redemption.

Anyway, thanks for the reminder!

D-rock likes this.
  11. Buck Turgidson

My main takeaway from this thread is that we are running out of rapper names. Lil Baby?