1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Stein] Carmelo Anthony set to sign with Rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Jul 23, 2018.

?

Do you like the signing of Carmelo Anthony?

Poll closed Jul 23, 2019.
  1. YES

90.9%
  2. NO

9.1%
  1. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I voted no but just saw he would sign for the vet min instead of the MLE. Would change my vote to neutral if that was a choice.

BigMaloe likes this.
  2. HoustonCRT

HoustonCRT Member

Here about nine months Carmelo will be saying 'Apologize to Melo 5' to all these media people.

3. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Subtraction by Addition.

Roc Paint and A_3PO like this.
  4. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

I mean, for the vet min why not.

Either we screwed ourselves for not offering Luc the MLE because we thought we were saving it for Melo or there was something serious about Luc's injury the Rockets didn't like. Is there anyone else out there that we could use the MLE on now?

5. H-Town Melo

H-Town Melo Member

Milwaukee made a huge mistake letting Mbah Moute walk all those years ago.

Fantasma Negro likes this.
  6. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

If indeed for the vet minimum it's pretty hard to dislike this signing in any way, and I say that as somebody not all that high on adding him in the first place.

Red Chocolate and mikol13 like this.
  7. Chamillionaire

If he plays well, he will outplay his contract. He'll definitely play better with CP3 than Westbrook... Enough shots to go around. Ariza and Luc both gone.

don grahamleone and DonKnock like this.
  8. Bobsputin

Bobsputin Member

I thought @BimaThug tweeted something about we have to sign him to maintain our exclusivity (not sure the right BB contract term).

9. yixiixiy

yixiixiy Member

Gawtato was right after all.

10. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

This is his put up or shut up time. If you can't perform on this team with CP3 and Harden feeding you in MD's offense scheme, then you're next contract will be in China.

But I like the signing. Low risk, high reward.

11. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I would say so! I would welcome him in a split second at the minimum. It would be a blessing.

Too bad CP3 didn't try to squeeze every dollar he could get out of us. Isn't 2 million a month enough to live on and never need or want for anything? I mean, if $65,753 a day isn't enough for anyone to live lavishly, invest in their future, and pay for giving their children the best education possible, then something is wrong. He needed $95,890 a day? Really? Why? Was it because he aged another year and only missed 5 more games than the year before? 26 games missed last year, 21 the year before, and a huge pay raise? Greedy. It's that kind of greed that makes it hard for me to think they really care about building a great team, or just role players around two highly overpaid paid guys.

don grahamleone likes this.
  12. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

I would still vote no.

He will add offense to the regular season team, which is fine, but not really needed. The team will be fine during regular season with or without him. Harden carries the offense during the regular season with CP providing spark when needed.

What we need is something that takes Warriors down during the playoffs, and as seen this playoffs, we need physicality and tough defense. That is what threw Warriors out of their game plan and how we went up 3-2 in the series. We are getting the opposite with Melo.

Adding Melo makes thew team worse against the Warriors. We are going away from what worked for us. They will just pick on him on defense. We already mask Harden's lack of defense. Now we added Melo to the mix who has been even worse than Harden.

Despite all this, I would still be ok with this signing, if not for the drama he causes.

This is just a desperate signing. In terms of substance and overall goal, this does not make us better than Warriors, and in fact hurts us.

harold bingo likes this.
  13. Chamillionaire

#113 Chamillionaire, Jul 23, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2018
    don grahamleone and DonKnock like this.
  14. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

but that makes no sense. the only reason we let Luc walk is that we were saving some or four MLE for Melo, and the reason we were saving our MLE for Melo was so that we'd have his bird rights and be able to resign him next year even though we'd be over the cap. Can someone clear this up?

izeroi likes this.
  15. Aruba77

so why did we let Luc walk then? what the hell is going on!

clutchdabear likes this.
  16. tobster

tobster Member

I just think that was a guess at what the Rocket's plans were... I really think that they don't believe in Luc and offered him the vet min for that reason. Nice to see Melo taking the vet min and allowing us more opportunities to make the team better.

deb4rockets and Bobsputin like this.
  17. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

Perhaps Morey didn’t like what he saw at the end of the season.

18. kingkingston

kingkingston Member

it was his choice to leave

19. Aruba77

yeah i guess the shoulder? i really don't understand.

20. kingkingston

kingkingston Member

Ennis to start

The Greyhound 33 likes this.