1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

Steak

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by hoopstar, Sep 19, 2007.

1. rhadamanthus

rhadamanthus Contributing Member

Blue cheese on the top after grilling medium rare. Sinful.

2. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

I couldn't agree more. Maybe living in Louisiana ruined me, but unseasoned or partially seasoned food, even steaks, just don't do it for me.

3. rhadamanthus

I married a louisiana girl. My arteries and "spice-requirements" were forever altered.

For the better, of course. :)

4. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

man, you guys cook your steaks for way too long.

for me, it's salt, pepper, and garlic.

get that heat hot, hot, hot.

place on grill for 2.5 minutes, turn over, wait another 2.5 minutes. remove. pitch a tin foil tent over the steak, wait another 2.5 minutes to soak up the juices.

perfecto! nice, delicious, juicy medium rare.

that's for a 1 inch steak.

5. Davidoff

Davidoff Contributing Member

1. Corn Fed USDA Prime (True Kobe is overrated for the price IMO)
    2. I like dry aged if I can find it
    3. High marbling and low/no fat

Coffee Rub:
    1/4 cup ancho chili powder
    1/4 cup finely ground espresso
    2 tablespoons Spanish paprika
    2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
    1 tablespoon dry mustard
    1 tablespoon kosher salt
    1 tablespoon ground black pepper
    1 tablespoon ground coriander
    1 tablespoon dried oregano
    2 teaspoons ground ginger
    2 teaspoons chili de arbol powder

Apply the season to one side of the steak then to a hot well oiled copper pan and sear the seasoned side first. Flip and remove at desired degree of doneness. Let rest for 2-4 mins top with butter and on you go..

6. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

This has probably been covered before, but which major chain has the best meat? I know there are lots of butchers/whole food stores etc. that are better, but living on the NE side, most of them aren't very practical for me.

Anyone ever order online from Omaha Steaks?

7. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

You can often get prime or choice at HEB. If you life on teh NE side, you should be fairly close to a Costco, and they only sell USDA Choice; not as good as prime, but the best bang for your buck.

8. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

If you don't have a samsclub/costco card....HEB is the place to go.

I'll drive OUT of my way to go to HEB for their fresh meat from the butcher.

9. Drewdog

Drewdog Contributing Member

Stubb's Moppin' Sauce is rad. That is all I use these days.

10. updawg

updawg Member

Costco

11. dsnow23

dsnow23 Contributing Member

Be sure to buy choice or prime. Costco tends to have the cheapest choice steaks. Ribeyes taste the best.

Liberally apply pepper and Tony Chachere's seasoning salt. I like the spicy version. Light coals on one side of the grill to medium high to high heat. Cook on both sides for about 2 1/2 minutes. Long enough to sear the outside and make some marks on it. Then move the steaks to the side of the grill away from the charcoal and let cook another 4 to 6 minutes. This should produce a nice rare to medium rare steak. Letting the steak finish cooking off to the side makes for smokier taste and reduces the likelihood of burning. The better the cut of meat, the rarer you can eat it and have it taste good. After the steak has been cooking away from the coals for about 4 minutes, poke at the steak with some tongs. If if feels really soft, it's still rare, the firmer it feels, the more done it is. After you take if off the grill put a big pat of butter on top of each steak and let rest at least 10 minutes before cutting. Cutting it any earlier will let the juice run out and you'll have a dry crappy steak. Don't even think about eating it without a decent bottle of red wine. Also, if you add the butter while the steaks are still over the coals, the steak will probably catch on fire. Don't ever cook a good steak with gas.

12. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

high marbling and low fat? You'll have to explain that one to me...

Everybody has different methodology when it comes to seasoning steak. I'm definitely a minimalist, salt and pepper only. Marinating a steak is about as bad as putting steak sauce on it.

13. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

since i don't have anywhere to put a grill, except to hang it out the window, i bought a cast iron griddle that sits over two gas burners on my stove. I usually buy hanger steak, have the guys a citarella take out the membrane, and you're left with two pieces of meat that look like mini pork tenderloins. depending on how much time i have, i either marinate them in a combo of Worcester sauce, dijon mustard, and red wine, or just rub them with salt, pepper, and dry mustard.

pre-heat your oven to 400 degrees. let the meat come to room temp. rub the griddle with a little oil, turn both burners to high, and sear the meat on one side, 2-3 minutes. turn the meat and place the griddle in the oven for ten minutes. remove, and let the meat rest for another 10 minutes, tented with foil.

serve with a fresh fairway cafe baquette, green salad, and a bottle of anything-from-mendoza.

cast iron- it's how steak gets done.

14. swilkins

swilkins Contributing Member

Then you're not putting enough meat in you mouth.

I try to cut a 1.8" cube. That's the perfect size.

;)

15. Pole

I caught that too........but didn't say anything. I assume he meant that didn't want the steak to have a heavy rind of fat on the edges (or in the case of a rib eye.....that line of fat that runs through the length of the whole rib eye)

16. rhadamanthus

Classic. :D

17. Pole

I prefer charcoal seven days a week and twice on Sunday, but if it isn't available, and you know what you're doing (the way you described it, sounds like you do), you can make a pretty darn good steak that way. Alton Brown would be proud of you.

18. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

I sometimes do this the night before or during the day...other times, I just use olive oil, salt and pepper...

my chioce of steak is Ribeye...the more fat the better and bone in for more flavor...Whenever Tom Thumb or Kroger have a sale, i clean them out...I have 3 in my freezer now and of course, I have to have a glass or two of cab or merlot with my steak...

19. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

LOL
    more than likely

Rocket River
    "Hey, let me but this steak on the grill" - dude
    "YOU EAT MEAT!!!" - A.Silverstone
    "YEP!"
    "But you said . . ."
    "well . . .. "

20. wnes

wnes Contributing Member

Do you grill steaks with lid on or off?

If you leave the lid on for extended period of time, how do you keep the steaks from excessive flare-ups since you can't see what's going on under the lid?