1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Steak Recipe

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by The Bird, Jun 28, 2009.

1. The Bird

The Bird Member

I'm gonna be grilling some steaks this weekend and i need some help with how to grill it and how to prepare it. So I was wondering if anyone had any good recipe they wanna share to help prepare a great steak

2. Master Baiter

Master Baiter Contributing Member

Good steak
    Salt
    Peppper
    Charcoal
    Mesquite wood chips
    Cherry wood chips
    Big Green Egg

3. Hmm

Hmm Member

^seems more like a check list.. than a recipe..

now, honestly.. does good steak really require a "recipe"..?

4. The Bird

The Bird Member

well i wasnt a flavor filled steak and i guess i'm asking what some people put on it like a mixture of olive oil garlic etc. and then brush it on the steak

5. The Bird

The Bird Member

sorry mistyped

6. Microfridge

Microfridge Contributing Member

I bought a big bottle of Montreal steak seasoning from Costco for cheap, and I just mixed it with olive oil and marinade the prime rib meat. Vinegar is also used instead of olive oil if you want a more tenderized steak. Don't do it longer than a couple of hours, I made that mistake and the steak was too salty :\

People who tasted it seems to like it.

7. BrooksBall

BrooksBall Contributing Member

McCormick Broiled Steak Seasoning is crucial.

[​IMG]

8. kikimama

kikimama Member

I saw Bobby Flay pat brown sugar onto his steaks...

9. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

The better the piece of meat, the less you need to make it taste good.

Get nice meat, season with salt and pepper, and pop it on the grill. Thats all you need.

10. Franchise3

Franchise3 Member

Sea Salt + Cracked Black Pepper + Cooked Medium Rare

11. ScriboErgoSum

ScriboErgoSum Contributing Member

I echo what others are saying. Sea or Kosher salt and some cracked pepper is all you need for a good cut of meat. You want to enhance the natural flavors.

If you want to serve it with a sauce or side, I usually go one of two routes.

Rosemary pesto. Chop up the leaves of a sprig or two of rosemary. Add a pinch or two of salt, a few good cracks of pepper, pine nuts, and parmesean cheese. Mortar and pestle it (or mash it in a flavor shaker or grind it in food processor) and add olive oil until it's a good consistency.

My wife makes a seriously bad ass chimicuri sauce. She usually just wings it, but here's an approximation of what she usually does. Mince up 2 good-sized garlic cloves, 2 shallots, and 2 table spoons of parsley. Add a table spoon of pimentone, a few pinches of slat, a few grinds of pepper. Put that in a bowl and pour in olive oil until you cover those ingredients. Then add 2 table spoons of red wine vinegar. You can adjust that to taste.

I always try to serve my steaks alongside some heirloom tomatoes. Go find yourself some purple cherokee or dark red\purple brandywines. Slice them up and just put some salt and black pepper on them.

Bon apetit

12. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

Mix some Guiness with spicy mustard, mix it up and then a little worchestire, soak the steaks, then bring them out, salt and pepper them. Start grilling and then pour marinade on throughout cooking process.

13. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Agreed with some of yall, when I grill a steak, I just pay for a really good cut of meat and add some salt. If the cut of meat is good, you don't need all the other crap. It takes away from the flavor of the meat. If anything, I'll stick a pat of butter on top after I take it off the grill, but that's it.

I'd like to know if anyone here has any experience cooking a steak INSIDE on the stove in a frying pan. I've heard that's the best way to do it, but I'm always afraid to try.

14. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

I used to go with the salt and pepper until I tried this stuff at a friend's house during a cookout: [​IMG]

15. doboyz

doboyz Contributing Member

Kosher Salt, Black Pepper, Olive Oil or Melted Butter to form the crust. That's all you should be using for a good piece of meat. High heat sear on the grill 4-6 minutes on each side for medium rare.

This is the important part: Don't cook cold meat! Let it sit out and get to room temperature before even thinking about cooking it.

After you are done cooking, let the steak rest for 15-20 minutes after you have cooked it. I usually add a melted garlic butter mixture during the resting period, because its during the resting that the steak soaks back up its juices.

16. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

Maybe these will help:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/7KrjeJDNKUA&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/7KrjeJDNKUA&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/PiQ0VOJmCbg&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/PiQ0VOJmCbg&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

17. Royals Ego

Royals Ego Member

it takes 10 pounds of corn to raise 1 pound of beef

18. Asian Sensation

This is good advice.

19. ScriboErgoSum

ScriboErgoSum Contributing Member

I covered some of this in a thread last year.

http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showpost.php?p=3587529&postcount=13

The thing to remember for cooking meat inside is temped meat, high heat. Always let your meat rest for 15-30 minutes before cooking so it's not cold when you put it in the pan. Once you've got your skillet is up to temp and your meat is rested, throw in some olive oil and drop the steak down.

You want to get a good sear on that side before turning it. Your tendency will like be to flip it too soon, but leave it alone and get a nice seared brown color on it before you jack with it. You should be able to easily move the meat if that side is seared. If it's still sticking to the pan, it needs to go for a bit longer.

Repeat that process on additional sides. If it's a really thick piece of meat, you'll probably need to finish it in the oven (usually around 350) to cook the center.

Those guidelines above apply to pork, fish, and steak as well.

In my mind there's not a perfect way too cook a steak. I've had excellent grilled and excellent in the pan. Those that say grilling is the only way to go have never had a perfectly pan seared steak, and those that say the pan is the only way to go have never had a perfectly grilled steak.

20. the futants

the futants Contributing Member

Make sure you use grass-fed beef ONLY! You'll notice the difference.

Kosher salt and coarse-ground pepper is all I add.

Good luck.