1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Stay classy, LA Clippers

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by worzel gummidge, Mar 15, 2011.

1. tamericus

tamericus Contributing Member

Man, this is terrible. My Dad had prostate cancer, and if he didn't have coverage those bills would have been severely crippling. That was very honorable of those players, much respect.

2. da_juice

da_juice Member

I would think, since the NBA is essentially a franchise(similar to say McDonald's) and all of the teams are part of that franchise(similar to say each individual mcdonald's restaurant) so if the main company determines the individual franchise is incoorectly using their brand, then that individual franchise can be removed, not sure if they can force it to be sold.

3. clippy

clippy Member

Sterling is a POS and should be exiled, but this article is misleading. The Clippers are a big corporation and big corporations have group insurance policies. Hughes wanted to go outside his network for his medical needs and that wouldn't be covered by their policy. This is the exact same way it would work for any of you employed at big corporations (and most small ones have it even worse).

This is more a shot at the American health care system than it is at the Clippers.

4. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Yeah, I don't think it's true. Could be the coach doesn't make much of a distinction in his mind between the insurance company and the Clippers. he talked to the Clippers HR guy who explained why the policy was denying him, so he hung the blame on the messenger. Could be, I don't know. But, I don't believe him.

The difference in the analogy though is that McDonald's is a publicly traded company, so the franchisees have no power over corporate unless they own scads of stock. In the NBA, each owner has a vote.

5. bnb

bnb Contributing Member

I think the story here is how awesome the players were.

We don't know who he spoke to in the organization about paying, but I doubt many organizations would have approved covering an out of insurance procedure when the doc had said he was OK to be on the waiting list.

Doesn't make Sterling any less classless, and the Clippers still suck.

6. kmav23

kmav23 Rookie

kudos to the players...

7. TheChosenOne

TheChosenOne Contributing Member

Pretty sweet deal from the players to cover the bills like that.

8. ComeBackShane

ComeBackShane Member

Amen bro

9. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

It's an uplifting story about the players taking it upon themselves to help a fellow member of the organization. It also clearly shows that Sterling is a sorry excuse for a human being, but we've known that for years. The players involved deserve all the praise they can get, although they obviously aren't looking for it.

10. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

Sterling needs a visit from the ghost of Xmas past...

[​IMG]

Present...

[​IMG]

And Future...

[​IMG]

11. Jack_Garnett

Jack_Garnett Member

Just wanna say how selfish Donald Sterling is!!!