1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Stats question

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by jsb, Feb 5, 2015.

1. jsb

jsb Contributing Member

How do you get credit for an assist and rebound.
    The reason I ask is you see some players getting credit for an assist if he is the last player to pass someone the ball no matter what the scorer does and I see others that I'm remembering had 3 or 4 nice passes for baskets and I read the stat line and they've gotten credit for 0-1.
    John Stockton as good as he was always seemed to have twice the assists at home then he did away.
    Is there a time limit on the pass?? The scorer can't have a dribble?? What exactly is the criteria for an assist??

Rebounding is another stat that seems to have a different criteria for different players. Example, some guys get credit for a rebound if they slap at the ball and someone else corrals it but some others only get credit if they actually come down with the ball. What is the criteria to get credit for a rebound and is there one???

2. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

The scorekeepers can definitely inflate the numbers. New Orleans' scorekeeper was notorious for giving Paul and then Collison tons of phantom assists. Now they're giving Davis extra blocks. It's pretty common and when it comes to player props Vegas has caught on.

3. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

The NBA has cracked down on this and reviews every recorded stat after the games are over. Needless to say, the in-game stat keepers are less likely to fluff the numbers

4. jsb

jsb Contributing Member

Well I still haven't gotten a definition or what the criteria is of an assist and a rebound. Is it all on the discretion of the person holding the scorers log???