1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[stats] Buddy Hield currently #2 3pt Shooting Rookie over last 5 drafts

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by heypartner, Feb 20, 2017.

1. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

If you don't qualify for the leaderboard, you don't show up on these stats. You need to make 82 threes. Even if Powell played 82 games, he wouldn't have achieved qualifying status. He's also not qualifying this year, either. I'm sure there are more guys above Beal/Hield in the last 5 drafts, if you choose some other qualifier.

You're right though, that some rookies don't qualify simply because they didn't get a chance as a rookie, but they do every other year. Most who we think are great shooters today did qualify as rookies, though.

Remember, rookies are adjusting to the longer distance vs NCAA. That also contributes to why some of the yearly leaders have relatively weak first years.

#21 heypartner, Mar 11, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2017
  2. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

I actually had a dream last night that the Rockets were playing in the Finals and won the championship actually.

Unfortunately, they were playing Sacramento and Buddy Hield was on our team (can't explain any of this, I've never dreamt about basketball before). So, yeah....none if this can mean sign of things to come...too bad... I thought I was the one.

3. roslolian

roslolian Member

I guess Vivek and Divac knew what they were doing after all. Since Twin Towers 2.0 isn't working so hot right now I think they also end up getting a draft pick. If WCS plays as good as some are projecting him to be? Look out LOL

Yaosthirdleg likes this.
  4. SooneRockStro

SooneRockStro Member

Will be so funny if Buddy turns into an all-star later on considering the heat Sacramento took for this trade.

Yaosthirdleg likes this.
  5. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Steph, is that u?

6. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

He's old, he wont get much better. NEXT.

7. heypartner

Buddy Hield awarded his second Rookie of the Month this year

[​IMG]

click nba.com link to see the highlight video. He's definitely more than just a spot-up shooter

http://www.nba.com/kings/video/2017/04/03/1491246497907-9cb07285-02e1-419c-8890-ffe4e2c6649c-1342072

-----------------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.nba.com/kings/news/buddy-hield-wc-rookie-month-march/

Acquired by Sacramento in a trade on February 19, the sixth overall pick in the 2016 NBA Draft averaged 14.1 points (.483 FG%, .425 3pt%, .840 FT%), 4.1 rebounds, 1.8 assists and 0.93 steals in 16 March appearances (12 starts), including career-highs with 22 points (7-14 FG, 4-9 3pt, 4-4), eight rebounds and seven assists at Golden State (3/24). The former Oklahoma Sooner registered 10-plus points in 14 of the Kings 16 games in March while posting 20 or more points on two occasions.

The 6-4 guard and Freeport, Bahamas native ranks fourth among all rookies this season in scoring, seventh in field goal percentage [1st for Qualifying] and minutes played and first in 3-point percentage [qualifying]. He has made at least three-pointers in 19 contests and reached double-figures in scoring on 40 occasions. The accolade marks Hield’s second Rookie of the Month this season after earning December honors as a member of the New Orleans Pelicans.

#27 heypartner, Apr 4, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2017
    DonKnock and BigMaloe like this.
  8. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

Could he become an Otto Porter type player? That's what I'm assuming his talent and level is to becoming a very good 3&D player. Or is he better? Does he have george/butler potential?

I'm asking because I don't know.

9. PhiSlammaJamma

I watched him play the last week, as he was starting on my fantasy team, and it felt like he was just standing around, no movement, and when he did move it almost looked like the ball was avoiding him. I did not get the feeling the Kings were running anything for him. Which makes it even more interesting that over the last month he put up some fine numbers in three categories. He runs like a neanderthal. It looks sluggish and awkward, but he has a good burst. I see him being a solid player, but not an All Star. He would need to demand the ball to make the next leap.

BigMaloe likes this.
  10. heypartner

I don't know Otto Porter much, but he's a SF. I would say Hield is similar to Eric Gordon as a rookie, with shooting and slashing ability. In fact, since the trade, Hield is logging the best Rookie TS% ever at .620. By comparison, for complete seasons, Gordon has the 2nd highest since 2000 at .593, for rookies who shoot enough 3s. Highest is .598

Also, he's shooting 42.8% from 3, since Dec 1st. Had a really bad shooting first month in the league.

Can't speak to his defense, but no one calls him elite, right?

#30 heypartner, Apr 4, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2017
    DonKnock and BigMaloe like this.
  11. Giant9erRocket

Giant9erRocket Hakeem Olajuwon Status

So the Kings win this trade?

12. heypartner

Thread title is out of date: Hield was the #1 Rookie in last 5 drafts, passing Beal by the end of the season. At 39.1%, qualifying. 4th since the 2009 draft, behind Curry, Klay and Landry Fields.

He's shooting 42.8% from 3, since Dec 1st. Had a really bad shooting first month in the league...maybe adjusting to the pro distance.

Check out his monthly splits, and tell me if you think his first month was an anomaly.

[​IMG]

This thread was started because of talk that Hield was a scrub in the Cousins trade, mainly by upset fans who said we had more to offer and Divac was stupid. Downside is he's almost 24 yrs old.

13. tmactoyao

tmactoyao Member

that's not the reason. he consistently shot NBA/Steph range in college

14. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Y'all over him yet? Or still drooling over %'s.