1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Statistics] Some observations on Thomas Robinson

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by kevC, Feb 26, 2013.

1. AggNRox

AggNRox Member

i know your point. but you should understand my point - the bigger and the better. i've never tried to say he has no potential. as raw as he is, size turns to be more concern than others now. he doesn't have other things yet for me think about. what can you talk about him besides size? btw charles is 6'6. he was ****ing so strong. t-rob vs charles? i don't know.

2. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

very insightful KevC! With ball movement being so important in our offensive system, i think Robinson is going to have a much easier time getting uncontested looks in the paint. I also think that because we are a team that runs, Robinson will really benefit from points in transition. I honestly think that our system will play to his strengths and that Sac'town's system played to his weaknesses. I am very eager to see what he can do, and i think most should take the long view, considering that the last third of a season on a new team with new system is probably not an ideal opportunity to properly showcase all of his abilities and potential. I'm truly looking forward to what he can do next year, after he's had a complete offseason with the team.

3. MrSabotage

MrSabotage Member

Don't agree. Robinson was really high on Morey's draft board. I think he legitimately wanted him as a player that could develop into something really good with the Rockets. I definitely don't think they traded for him with the intention of trading him again later on. I mean there's a chance it could happen, but I don't think that's the driving reason they acquired him.

4. MrSabotage

MrSabotage Member

We're talking about the Kings here. They have long been one of the most dysfunctional teams in the NBA. Bad owners. Bad coaches. Generally speaking, if that team believes something, I'd be inclined to believe the opposite.

5. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

the coaching staff said TRob will get minutes tomorrow and this is after only a few practices (2?) . I trust Finch/Sampson/McHale's judgement over the Sacramento coaching staff's.

6. haoafu

haoafu Contributing Member

Trob is exactly the kind of player Mchale likes: Rebound, defense, hard running.

7. AggNRox

AggNRox Member

yep, they are a dysfuntional teams but they are still a nba team. their coaches have more nba and bball knowledge than you and me. it is the reason they are in nba, not you and not me. if anyone asks me whose knowledge you believe most, kings' coaches or you, do I need to say....

8. hocash

hocash Contributing Member

Dumbest comment of the thread.
    Pro sports is full of executives and coaches who are incompetent. Unless you believe the best head coaches you can get just happen to have been people who were NBA players as well.

9. AggNRox

AggNRox Member

what are you trying to acomplish by using the word, dumbest? i don't want to go further. it's not my goal to be on this board. if you think my comment is the dumbest, just leave me alone. i don't know why you responsed the dumbest comment. it won't help you to display your smartness.

10. MrSabotage

MrSabotage Member

Actually, I'm not working in basketball because I picked MLB over NBA. ZING! Honestly though, you can't overlook how awful that franchise has been. Just because Keith Smart is a head coach in the NBA, doesn't mean he should be. Executives, owners, etc. make mistakes all the time. Sure, there are people even in that organization that know a ton about basketball, I understand that. But you can't underestimate how many botched decisions that team has made. The fact that T-Rob wasn't being played, or utilized, or whatever.... I can't just take the Kings word for it that he's a bust, because all their dysfunction has made their decision making difficult to trust.

11. bongman

bongman Member

Presti and Morey does not just look at the height. What is important is the wingspan. Even though Thomas is only 6'8" tall, his wingspan is 7' 3.75". Basically, he is just as tall as a 6'10" player with a 7'2" wingspan.

Remember, you defend with your hands and not the top of your head.

12. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Getting blocked 10% of the time inside seems to be a very normal number.

Go check out PF/C types and you'll see it happens to the best of them - eg: Tim Duncan

Even Greg Smith, who "gets them" 85% of the time, gets blocked 10% of the time....

13. AggNRox

AggNRox Member

definitely, mistakes can be made by anyone, not matter how smart he/she is. like i said, t-rob is not a sure thing. morey is taking a chance like he did to other lottery picks. as a rox, i hope it is good. lets see what eventually happens.

14. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

Aggnrox why can't you take our gms word for it that Trob has potential instead of labeling him a bust. Morey is very high on him and he believes he has the ability to be a elite player in this league.

I'm sure u haven't even seen Robinson play a single game before. Your a rockets fan yet it seems from all your negative nancy talk about Trob that u trust the garbage that is Sacramento over one of the best organizations in basketball that is the rockets. Morey and company wouldn't trade our starting pf and backup pf if they didnt think Robinson was a good player. This isn't like the Jhill of thabeet trades those guys were fillers or cap room savers. Robinson was brought in to play.

15. meh

meh Contributing Member

I think rather than being so extreme in views, how about the more reasonable one?

Are people working in Sacramento better than you or I? Of course. They are professionals who, if nothing else, has access to tons of player information, scouts, coaches, etc. while fans basically watch a couple of games, and use basketball-reference.

Are people working in Sacramento better than those working for the Rockets? Most assuredly not. The Kings are one of the worst talent evaluators in the NBA, while the Rockets are among the best.

Basically, in my mind, Morey's opinion > Kings opinion > clutchfan members personal opinion(assuming not swayed by outside factor like Kings/Rockets press conferences).

Of course, there is something to be said about front office people embellishing their thoughts to the public, for PR reasons. But all else equal, I'm going to say the Rockets front office knows about basketball than the Kings front office. Unless Robinson has some deep, dark secret no one knows about, we certainly got a steal.

16. douglasreedy1

douglasreedy1 Member

this made me chuckle, but honestly, I think you're missing the OP point.
    I got that he thinks some of the stats could be misleading... but I didn't feel like he used stats taken from a small sample size and made definitive statements.

17. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

That would be good. CD could help him out too.

18. AggNRox

AggNRox Member

what hell are you talking about? please tell me where i've ever said he is a bust. only thing i said regarding him is his size. we have had undersize pfs for a while. isn't it a logic for me to think about his size?

19. AggNRox

AggNRox Member

i don't know which team fo has better staffs. morey made a few gambles on other lottery picks, such as thabeet. it didn't pan out. don't make me wrong. i am not saying t-rob is a bust. here i used thabeet to prove morey also made mistakes. i don't want to be so high on t-rob like everyone here is. i take a wait and see approach.

all in all, i have my concern but i still believe it worth to bet. the reason is ppat and mm are at best average pf. we need to upgrade pf position to make us a contender. so taking a risk on a #5 lottery pick is good deal. if it doesn't work, we don't lose anything. we can't settle on ppat or mm to be our starting pf.