1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Statistically, Ty Lawson looks like a top 10 point guard

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by bmd, Sep 3, 2015.

1. OpenLayup-Why3?

10. Lawson
    9. Dragic
    8. Teague
    7. Lowry
    6. Bledsoe
    5. Conley
    4. Lillard
    3. Irving
    2. Wall
    1. Westbrook
    0. Paul
    -1. Curry

Yup, Ty is a top 10 PG

2. tmac2k8

tmac2k8 Member

He doesn't need to be a top 5 PG here, his stats will go down but his efficiency should go up and that is a overall + for the Rockets. When you have Harden and Dwight, you don't need to be a Steph Curry or Westbrook for this team to go to the next level.

3. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Offensively, he is in the 6-8 range of PG's. Now he has some rim protectors playing behind him, his defensive weaknesses won't show up as bad.

4. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Being the alpha on a crap team is vastly different from being a role player on a championship team.

Nevertheless I have him as number 9 in my PG list.

5. cdrive

cdrive Contributing Member

Right?

If you only look at PGs who are starters/main ballhandlers & weed out all the PGs who don't at least play 25 minutes, then you have this:

#1 CP 10.2 / 2.3 = 4.41
    #2 TY 9.6 / 2.5 = 3.89
    and a distant 3rd,4th, 5th:
    #3 George Hill 5.1 (meh) / 1.6 = 3.19
    #4 Kemba Walker 5.1 (meh) / 1.6 = 3.18
    #5 Brandon Jennings 6.6 / 2.2 = 3.02

6. YOLO

YOLO Member

He won't have the ball in his hands most of the time but he'll handle it plenty. that's one of the main reasons for bringing him here. It's not only him that needs to make adjustments but pretty much the entire team as well.

7. tdo

tdo Member

I can't wait to see Harden as an off-ball threat. We are going to be unstoppable on Offense. Our team defense is what is going to make or break our season. Ty and Harden both have to decide to make a commitment on that end, which they should be able to do since the burden on offense is going to be much lower.

8. bulkatron

bulkatron Member

Lawson is a mid tier PG overall but top 10 offensively for sure. He still represents a significant upgrade over Beverley, who would be near the bottom (as much as I love the dude).

I also think that Lawson can improve in a new system so perhaps he will crack the top 10 overall with a good surrounding cast.

9. bmd

bmd Member

Not just that, but the Rockets had the #2 defense virtually all of last season with Beverley missing a lot of time or playing hurt, and with Terry at the PG spot.

Plus factor in all of the other injuries.

If they could have the #2 defense last year, there is no reason why they couldn't have a similarly ranked defense this year.

Historically, a top 5 offense and a top 5 defense is what a championship team looks like.

10. ooooaaaah!

ooooaaaah! Member

yes and yes to that

11. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

I honestly don't care about where he ranks. I only care if he fits our team and helps produce more wins.

12. Bo6

Bo6 Member

i rate him higher than the likes of lillard,dragic,lowry and i think he is on the same level as teague/bledsoe

13. OpenLayup-Why3?

Don't want to fight you, understand that your opinion has as much weight as mine, but you are one big fan of Lawson to think that. What you wrote is equal to me saying that DMO is top 10 PF in the NBA right now.

14. Mr Chuck Norris

Lawson > Dragic

15. Milos

Milos Member

My personal ranks of Top 25 PG's (with my personal RATING - NBAlive style)

I have him just outside top 2 Tiers with the 'STARS' at #12, right between Bledsoe and Dragic

Pretty easy to make a case for him above Bledsoe (I like his superb Def+Ath over Ty's passing and shooting) and even #10 DRose (so sad), so might just barely crack Top 10

But IMO the top 9 (MVP contenders & perennial All-Stars) on my list are all clearly better players than Lawson on the court, and none have any of the off-the-court issues he brings (save maybe Lowry's attitude problems)

POS RNK RTG TM

TIER 1 - MVP
    PG 01 96 GSW Stephen Curry
    PG 02 94 OKC Russell Westbrook
    PG 03 93 LAC Chris Paul
    PG 04 93 WSH John Wall

TIER 2 - AllStar
    PG 05 90 POR Damian Lillard
    PG 06 90 TOR Kyle Lowry
    PG 07 89 CLE Kyrie Irving
    PG 08 88 MEM Mike Conley
    PG 09 88 ATL Jeff Teague

TIER 3 - Star
    PG 10 87 CHI Derrick Rose
    PG 11 86 PHX Eric Bledsoe
    PG 12 85 HOU Ty Lawson
    PG 13 84 MIA Goran Dragic
    PG 14 84 NOP Jrue Holiday
    PG 15 83 SAS Tony Parker

TIER 4 - CoreStarter
    PG 16 82 PHX Brandon Knight
    PG 17 82 CHA Kemba Walker
    PG 18 81 IND George Hill
    PG 19 81 DET Brandon Jennings

TIER 5 - Role/6thMan
    PG 20 80 DAL Deron Williams
    PG 21 80 BOS Isaiah Thomas
    PG 22 79 BOS Marcus Smart
    PG 23 79 SAC Rajon Rondo
    PG 24 79 MIL Michael Carter-Williams
    PG 25 78 ATL Dennis Schroder

16. J Hard

J Hard Member

And those stats were from a drama filled unmotivated Ty last season. Just imagine a driven, hungry, focused, determined and oh yea, a contract year with non guaranteed salary next season. Ty is going to take us to championship caliber for certain.

Only teams to challenge us is SA, GSW, CLE, maybe MEM and OKC.

Most anticipated season for me since championship run.

17. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

I think this season will show that he's a step ahead of the Teague/Bledsoe/Dragic level of PG's. We'll see.

18. True Rocket

True Rocket Member

It's so nice finally having a star caliber point guard. I expect Lawson to have his best season yet. If he thought playing with Faried was fun wait til him and Dwight/Capela gain chemistry on lobs & pick and rolls. We finally have someone who we can count on for buckets consistently other than Harden. I think Ty and James will both heavily benefit from playing with each other. Ty will be able to get just about anywhere on the court with his elite ball handling skills and speed , this is gonna be excellent because this will allow James to take his time on those deep top of the key 3's we love.

19. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

The second leading assist and assist to TO PG in the league is not top ten at his position?:rolleyes:

I'm sorry but isn't a PGs primary duty to distribute the ball and not turn it over?

Lawson led the league last year in assist opportunities but unlike CP3 who has Griffin and DJ slamming down dunks he had crap players around him.

Look at one comparison for example

Lawson 15.2 9.6 3.1
    Conley 15.8 5.4 3.0

So less than a point more a game makes Conley better than Lawson when Ty averages almost twice the assists Conley does?!

Yes he's better defensively but it's not like Conley is even good defensively he's ranked 24th in drpm behind defensive stalwarts like Monta Ellis.

People way undervalue passing and taking care of the ball which Lawson is arguably the best or second best at in the league. Not to mention he is a magician at penetrating and scoring in the paint and is a decent outside shooter.

If Lawson gets primary ball handling duties he will lead the league in assists next year. But apparently that's not good enough for a PG on this board....

20. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

If you look at Walls and Lawson numbers, they are almost identical on the offensive side of the ball with the edge going to Lawson. Wall is better defensively but how much of that has to do with him playing with two legit rim protectors?