1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[statesman]KEYE plans to split Titans and Texans games

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by tinman, Sep 7, 2007.

1. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I know like 3 or 4 of you now are happy

--------------------------------
    Vince Young alternating snaps
    KEYE plans to split Titans and Texans games

By John Maher
    AMERICAN-STATESMAN STAFF
    Friday, September 07, 2007

Vince Young has not been able to banish Matt Schaub to the bench. Not yet, anyway. Despite rumors and blog entries to the contrary, the quarterbacks for the Tennessee Titans and Houston Texans will be alternating snaps on KEYE-TV.

Young, however, will be getting the first two games as Tennessee opens the NFL season at Jacksonville on Sunday and then faces Super Bowl champion Indianapolis at home.

With the Texans being 150 miles away, they looked to be the natural home team for KEYE, which as a CBS affiliate has rights to AFC games. But problems arose as the Texans, an expansion team in its sixth season, struggled.

"We want the Texans to be a flourishing, vibrant franchise, but that hasn't happened," Vinson said Thursday.

Many fans became disgruntled when the Titans passed on a chance to take Young with the first pick of the 2006 NFL draft.

Young played his high school football in Houston and led the University of Texas to the 2005 national championship, the first for the school in 35 years.

When KEYE aired a Titans game last fall, Austin fans responded. The Titans game pulled in more than three times as many viewers as the Texans game that had aired the previous week

"It was a significant number, so we started showing some of the Titans," Vinson said.

Not everyone was happy with the decision. Laurie Pevey, owner of Tekgnar Skate Shop in Austin, said she grew up in Houston.

"I was a huge Oilers fan, and I didn't become a Titans fan because of (owner) Bud Adams. They need to be showing the regional home game, the Texans, not the Titans," Pevey said.

"I'll go to my grave upset that we didn't draft Vince Young, but you can see him on highlights. I don't think there are that many Titans fans here who watch a whole four-hour game."

Vinsons said that efforts would be made this season to try to keep fans of both teams happy.

"I don't have a crystal ball, but I am going to try to keep it balanced," Vinson said.

Sometimes, broadcast decisions will be made because of which team is available to KEYE. In the third week of the season, for instance, the Titans have a Monday night game on ESPN. The next week, they're off, so Schaub and the Texans will have a couple of early chances to see what they can do in Austin.

Vinson, meanwhile, will be doing his own Monday morning quarterbacking, checking the overnight ratings each week to see how the Titans-Texans battle is going.

jmaher@statesman.com; 445-3956

2. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

3. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Yeah, there's not a thread directly below this one that's discussing this exact issue or anything.

4. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

yeah, tinman! you're such an idiot!

5. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

And he posted in it.

6. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

give the guy a break, it's not like the other thread had [Statesmen.com] in the title.

7. the futants

the futants Contributing Member

but that other thread isn't in HD.

just like all the Texans games...

8. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Who is "Vinson"? There's like 4 references to this person and they never explain who it is, that I can see.

9. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Hey, you busy tomorrow? Want to meet up close to the stadium to watch some football? A buddy of mine and I are heading up there tomorrow morning. Major will make his appearance around 3. I think we're going to go to Crown and Anchor.

10. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Sounds good, but weekend days almost never work for me anymore. Too much family stuff. You going to the game, I presume?

11. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

As much as I hate to continue this thread...He is Gary Vinson, programming/research director for KEYE.

12. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Yeppers. I loved leaving DKR after a loss in the second game so much last season that I thought I'd do it again.

Lemme know if you change your mind.

13. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The cheapo texans! They would gain more fans if they broadcast in 720p wide screen.

14. the futants

the futants Contributing Member

it's so painful watching Texans "highlights" on espn. when compared to every other freakin' game, the Texans games look like some analog crap from the 70s. one of my friends in austin (a life-long cowgirl fan) legitimately wants to like the Texans, but says he can't even look at the screen when they play 'cause it hurts his eyes (he's used to HD, of course).

15. RiceRocket1

RiceRocket1 Member

Pretty sure it's not the Texans' cameras. CBS doesn't have enough HD cameras to do all the games each week in HD. It is their fault.

16. Major

Major Member

Try Third Base - it's great!

17. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Where's that?

18. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

It is right at the end of 5th street before you get to Mopac.....those red buildings on the left, just before the curve etc.

It is on the bottom floor, pretty cool place.

DD

19. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.

nuts on your forehead

20. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

good thing i dont have keye and pos KHOU.