1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

States Ranked by Obesity: MS #1, TX#12 and CO #50

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by rocketsjudoka, Jul 7, 2011.

1. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I was going to put this in the "Super Fat" Thread but it might deserve its own thread.

As I said in the other thread we clearly have a societal problem with obesity. That doesn't mean we demonize the fat but as a society we need to find ways to reversing the trend.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/43670705/ns/health-diet_and_nutrition/?GT1=43001

Americans keep getting fatter, especially in the South
    Mississippi the most obese state, Colorado the least, according to new report

LOS ANGELES — In 1995, no state had an obesity rate above 20 percent. Now, all but one does.

An annual obesity report by two public health groups looked for the first time at state-by-state statistics over the last two decades. The number of obese U.S. adults rose in 16 states in the last year, helping to push obesity rates in a dozen states above 30 percent, according to a report released on Thursday.

Mississippi is the fattest state in the union with an adult obesity rate of 34.4 percent. Colorado is the least obese -- with a rate of 19.8 percent -- and the only state with an adult obesity rate below 20 percent, according to "F as in Fat," an annual report from the Trust for America's Health and the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation.

Don't miss these Health stories
    Image: Power walking
    Getty Images stock
    Torch more calories -- pump those arms!

Turn your walk into a calorie-torching workout by bending your elbows 90 degrees and pumping your arms. Click for more of TODAY's "Healthy Summer Survival Guide."
    The jig is up — guys like to cuddle more
    5 bad habits you don't need to break
    Blistering, blinding weed creeping to city near you
    Too shy to go? Bathroom stage fright a real condition

"When you look at it year by year, the changes are incremental," says Jeffrey Levi, executive director of the Trust for America's Health, which writes the annual report with the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation. "When you look at it by a generation you see how we got into this problem."

Obesity rates did not decline in any state and even Colorado does not win high marks -- its score means one in five state residents is at higher risk for conditions like heart disease and diabetes.

"Today, the state with the lowest adult obesity rate would have had the highest rate in 1995," said Levi.

Four years ago, only one U.S. state had an adult obesity rate above 30 percent, according to the report. Obesity is defined as a body mass index -- the weight-to-height ratio -- of 30 or more.
    Advertise | AdChoices

The study, based on 2010 data, says a dozen states top 30 percent obesity, most of them in the South. Mississippi topped the list for the seventh year in a row, with Alabama, West Virginia, Tennessee and Louisiana close behind. Just five years ago, in 2006, Mississippi was the only state above 30 percent.

There was a bit of good news in the report: Sixteen states reported increases in their obesity rates, down from 28 states that reported increases last year. Levi says those increases have been gradually slowing, most likely due to greater public awareness of health issues and government attempts to give schools and shoppers better access to healthier foods.

"We're leveling off to some degree at an unacceptably high level," Levi said.

First lady Michelle Obama has tackled the issue with her "Let's Move" campaign, pushing for healthier school lunches, more access to fruits and vegetables and more physical activity. Republicans in Congress have pushed back somewhat against some of those programs, however, saying a rewrite of school lunch rules is too costly and questioning an Obama administration effort to curb junk food marketing aimed at children.

As in previous years, the study showed that racial and ethnic minorities, along with those who have less education and make less money, have the highest obesity rates. Adult obesity rates for African-Americans topped 40 percent in 15 states, while whites topped 30 percent in only four states. About a third of adults who did not graduate from high school are obese; about a fifth of those who graduated from college are considered obese.

Some groups say such behavioral initiatives are not enough, arguing that food manufacturers and restaurant chains need limits on how they market to children.

The Center for Science in the Public Interest, a U.S. consumer group, last year sued McDonald's Corp to stop the world's largest hamburger chain from using Happy Meal toys to lure children into its restaurants. Last month, the American Academy of Pediatrics -- a group of U.S. pediatricians -- called for a ban on junk food ads aimed at children.

Industry is fighting such efforts.

The report released on Thursday showed that over the past 15 years, seven states have doubled their rate of obesity and 10 states have doubled their rate of diabetes.

Since 1995, obesity rates have risen fastest in Oklahoma, Alabama and Tennessee, while Colorado, Connecticut and Washington, D.C., had the slowest increases.

Dr. Mary Currier, Mississippi's state health officer, says her state has struggled to drop its No. 1 status and it has been challenging because much of the state is poor and rural.

"We live in an area of the country where eating is one of the things we do, and we eat a lot of fried foods," she said. "Trying to change that culture is pretty difficult."

She says the state has had some success by making school lunches healthier, taking high-calorie foods and drinks out of school vending machines and trying to find more low-cost exercise facilities for residents of rural areas.

"It is frustrating, but we've had some progress," Currier said. "We just have to continue to work at this. It's not something that's going to change overnight."

2. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Life is happening.
    Most of our jobs are not overly physically demanding
    Food is readily available
    some even have to work multiple jobs which means a time crunch

It is like people are in survival mode. . . when they don't have to be
    Eat was is quickest and nearest and easiest
    most times. . that ain't the healthiest . .it is a distant 4th

Rocket River

3. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

wow kentucky is #45 or #5 *we are doing really poorly

Thanks for sharing

4. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

weird there are all these southern states in the top/bottom 10 (depending on your view) and then michigan

5. UTAllTheWay

UTAllTheWay Member

Stupid Colorado and their mountains.

6. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

Southern states have higher Hispanic/African-American populations. These groups are fatter than whites, especially the females.

7. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

damn hippies

8. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Colorado is heaven. :eek:
    Anyone here just visit and you'll see what I mean. ;)

1 person likes this.
  9. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

[​IMG]

10. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

queue the mammy jokes

11. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

What is the excuse for West Virginia? There are about 2 black people in that whole state.

12. juicystream

My brother lives there, and he is quite obese. I guess that is the GA in him.

13. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

...and the rest are related. Ho-down!!!

14. juicystream

I was going to include a far more offensive joke about racism, but thought better of it.

15. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

I wonder how many of these fat girls would be hot if they were thin?

Wasted potential. SMH.

16. Billy Bob

Billy Bob Member

I was thinking the same thing. I've been working for a university for the past 8 years and the chicks definitely are getting fatter and fatter each year.

17. foo82

foo82 Member

I have bathroom stage fright.

18. RoxSqaud

RoxSqaud Member

I figured Alabama would be ranked high. (2nd)

Fat ****s.

19. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

Seriously, this phenomenon is real. I remember touring college campuses in 2000-2001 for my freshman year, and there were hotties EVERYWHERE. I recently went back to College Station to tour it with my nephew....I don't remember ever seeing that many overweight kids when I was there (male or female). We're getting fatter as a nation, and it's starting at a younger age.

20. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

The problem seems to stem from these fat women not realizing they are fat and unattractive because they don't dress accordingly.

Every male should do their duty and simply stop these woman and in the kindest way possible explain to them that they are fat and gross.

1 person likes this.