1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[State] Rick Perry, Dewhurst Support Drug Testing for Welfare, Unemployment Benefits

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by percicles, Nov 14, 2012.

1. percicles

percicles Contributing Member

This policy really worked well in Florida. Fiscal conservatives will applaud it.

For reference:

2. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

Somebody ought to drug test those two assclowns....

3. David Stern

David Stern Member

I'm sure they would test positive for prescribed drugs...

4. Baba Booey

Baba Booey Contributing Member

you gotta love the logic:

"This program is costing us too much money. What can we do to alleviate costs? I know, we'll add an extra expense. Brilliant!"

At this point, with republicans complaining about 47% not paying income tax, with some voicing opinions that they should pay something (even though they are against raising taxes in EVERY OTHER INSTANCE), along with this nonsense about drug testing for welfare, it's clear that cost has nothing to do with it. These tactics are clearly punitive in nature.

5. DimeDropper

DimeDropper Member

No call for drug testing executives of Wall Street banks prior to receiving trillions in welfare?

6. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

Drugs bad. Wood good. .

7. Midixinormous

Midixinormous Member

I really don't understand why people are so against this, I think they should expand it to include all elected officials.

8. False

False Member

Because many people who use drugs still need welfare benefits. Many children dependent on parents who are drug addicts need every dollar they can get even if 50 cents on every dollar goes to drugs. Because it is a fiscally irresponsible policy that sounds good, but takes a terrible human and economic toll. All of these are huge reasons not to pursue this policy.

But screw all that numbers mess and screw those kids who should have known better than be born to some deadbeat dads and moms. In fact, let's spend as much as it takes so that everyone has to get drug tests at least every week. Let's also require everyone to take lie detectors.

PAID FOR BY THE DRUG TESTING INDUSTRY OF TEXAS

9. Major

Major Member

Because it's just a big taxpayer subsidy to drug testing companies. Like Voter ID, it's a solution to a problem that doesn't exist - as demonstrated by Florida. You end up spending more money to accomplish less.

10. Raven

Raven Member

Political posturing.

:rolleyes:

11. cml750

cml750 Member

I support the idea of drug testing welfare recipients. I get drug tested at work and would lose my job and income if I test positive which would obviously affect my children. You see I have to be a responsible adult. I know this is a novel concept, but why should the government keep giving money to drug abusers with children?? I would be in favor of a three strike rule for drug addicts with children. After the third strike, they lose the welfare and the children. If their parents can't get off of drugs for their children's sake then they are not fit to be parents.

12. DimeDropper

DimeDropper Member

Should farmers receiving price supports or ethanol credits be drug-tested?

13. cml750

cml750 Member

I have no problem with that although I do have a problem with the ethanol mandate.

14. GladiatoRowdy

GladiatoRowdy Contributing Member

You do realize that Texas will pay far more than it will save with this policy, right?

15. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

YES!!! Let's have a bunch of drug addicted people who have no money or means to get money . . .. loose on the streets.

I am sure someone strung out on meth, bath salts or crack
    will be a perfectly safe and calm member of society . . . . . esp if they are homeless, hungry and fiending . .. .
    WHEW!! Bring on Utopia!!

Rocket River

16. Classic

Classic Member

You're motivated if your Rick Perry's bro and own the franchise rights to Any Lab Test Now! in the urban areas of the big cities in Texas and you make Perry a member of your corporation as a 'silent' advisor.

http://www.anylabtestnow.com/

2 people like this.
  17. David Stern

David Stern Member

Interesting....

18. David Stern

David Stern Member

Where did you get that info from?

19. cml750

cml750 Member

That is possible, but what does money have to do with it? The benefit of testing is that the state will not be paying for illegal drug use and will also help to identify homes where children are raised by drug addicts. Often times children raised in these situations grow up to do the same thing. This could help break the cycle. This would require people to be responsible to receive benefits. If these people could get off of drugs, they may be able to find employment and get off of welfare all together. Do you really support just giving away things to drug addicts? Do you support leaving children in homes being raised by drug addicts?

20. Classic

Classic Member

I was using the scenario as a hypothetical. It's obvious though in seeking this type of policy somebody stands to profit and tax payers stand to lose.