1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

state of the gop - sarah huckabee sanders running for governor

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by NewRoxFan, Jan 25, 2021.

1. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

In a sane political environment, Trump's endorsement would be a kiss of death.

Nook likes this.
  2. PeppermintCandy

This is a strange argument. I don't think you would say it applies to any propagandist whose job is to manipulate information for a corrupt government or a despot.

So then, I wonder how and where you would draw the line.

3. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Sarah is going to break the glass ceiling... with her fist.

Nook likes this.
  4. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

The Colonel?

Nook likes this.
  5. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

The Huckabees love fried chicken.

Nook likes this.
  6. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Should this be construed as an announcement that she isn't running for governor since everything she says is usually false?

7. apollo33

apollo33 Member

But the press secretary is not a propagandist. They don't make the propaganda. They are like spokespeople for the Trump administration. They are suppose to be the mouth for Trump, so what exactly do people expect out of that. If they fall out of line they get fired, and another one comes in etc.

You are only as honest as the person you are speaking for. I'm sure Sean Spicer would sound a lot different if he worked for Obama

8. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

This argument is the very essence of the GOP.

9. apollo33

apollo33 Member

I don't even know what that means. I'm not GOP nor am I American.

I just never understood the hostility towards Trump's press secretary. First it was Spicer, then Huckabee, then the new girl, every time it's like OMG HOW CAN THEY LiE, these evil people!!! Well if they didn't, they would be fired.

10. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Never said that you were GOP. :)

Not taking responsibility for your actions is core GOP philosophy.

‘It’s just my job’

If you do your job and take infants from their parents and put them in cages, it’s ok because it’s your job?

It’s despicable and no one should allow this as an excuse. You choose what you say or do regardless of reason.

deb4rockets and FranchiseBlade like this.
  11. PeppermintCandy

Huh, so the argument is that the press secretary is absolved of guilt since the core messages or principles of the propaganda do not originate with them?
    Even though they'll be out there defending these beliefs with their own words, spending hours writing and constructing press releases to spread the information, coordinating with staff and other departments to make sure the information does not get diluted, and basically acting as if the propaganda was true and absolute and their own.

Also, if you take this line of logic further, most people who get paid to do a job should be absolved of their ethical responsibilities for that job as well. We're only the messengers, after all.

deb4rockets likes this.
  12. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

hard to tell if this is the official "state of the GOP" thread or if this is simply a thread to bash Sarah Sanders, but if this is a thread about the state of the GOP, here's something to look at:

http://theglitteringeye.com/anti-partisan/

13. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

If you knowingly take a job spewing out lies, especially harmful lies as your job, then yes, there is a reason for people to be disgusted with you. She knew, Trump knew, and all the others who spurted out the lies are just as despicable. I don't care if that's her job or not. She chose to be the voice of the liar and spread the lies to innocent and gullible Americans. Why? Power and a paycheck.

14. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Spending trillions on people who need the money is one thing Dems have over Republicans.

The conceit of Dem leaders is that they're promoting the notion that everyone can win from their policies, which Con apologists point out with their complaints over "winners and losers" .

I think accountability is long overdue but the voting public concerns themselves more about the day to day and taxes than they do about the greasy dealings of the Ken Paxton's and Bob Menendezs of the world.

The idea that we can be lulled back into boredom now that we have a half live president is the prime enabler of a corrupt and conceited government full of their self told narratives of good versus evil

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  15. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Are Sean and Kayleigh gonna run for some office also?

16. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

interesting essay

"Rise of the Barstool conservatives":

https://theweek.com/articles/964006/rise-barstool-conservatives

excerpt:

What Trump recognized was that there are millions of Americans who do not oppose or even care about abortion or same-sex marriage, much less stem-cell research or any of the other causes that had animated traditional social conservatives. Instead he correctly intuited that the new culture war would be fought over very different (and more nebulous) issues: vague concerns about political correctness and "SJWs," opposition to the popularization of so-called critical race theory, sentimentality about the American flag and the military, the rights of male undergraduates to engage in fornication while intoxicated without fear of the Title IX mafia. Whatever their opinions might have been 20 years ago, in 2021 these are people who, with varying degrees of enthusiasm, accept p*rnography, homosexuality, drug use, legalized gambling, and whatever GamerGate was about. On economic questions their views are a curious and at times incoherent mixture of standard libertarian talking points and pseudo-populism, embracing lower taxes on the one hand and stimulus checks and stricter regulation of social media platforms on the other.

I have come to think of the people who answer to the above description as "Barstool conservatives," in reference to the popular sports website, especially its founder and CEO, Dave Portnoy. For many years the political significance of Barstool was implicit at best, reflected mainly in its conflicts with Deadspin and other members of the tacitly liberal sports journalism establishment.

But in the last year, as Portnoy emerged as one of America's most visible critics of the lockdown policies instituted by virtually every state governor, it became clear to me that more so than anyone else he embodied the world view of millions of Americans, who share his disdain for the language of liberal improvement, the hectoring, schoolmarmish attitude of Democratic politicians and their allies in the media, and, above all, the elevation of risk-aversion to the level of a first-order principle by our professional classes. This, I suspect, is why in the last 24 hours I have received several text messages asking me whether I thought he had any interest in running for president. (My guess is no, though I also believe that his prospects for electoral success would be decent.)

Regardless of Portnoy's own ambitions, I fully expect the future of the Republican Party to belong to Barstool conservatives, which is to say, to a growing but so far almost invisible coalition that could very well carry the White House. The Barstool conservative movement will not have institutions in any recognizable sense, certainly not think tanks or highbrow magazines, but it will be larger, more geographically disparate, younger, and probably more male. It will also, I suspect, be more racially diverse, much like the portion of the electorate that gave Trump 78 million votes in 2020.

Where will Barstool conservatism leave what remains of the old conservative movement? In the case of free market dogmatists, I believe there is almost zero daylight between them. The policy papers on why blockchain-enabled futures markets in organ donation brought to you by ManScaped will revitalize Dayton, Ohio, will write themselves. Meanwhile, a small number of earnest social conservatives will be disgusted. But I suspect that a majority of them will gladly make their peace with the new order of things.

This is in part because while Barstool conservatives might regard, say, homeschooling families of 10 as freaks, they do not regard them with loathing, much less consider their very existence a threat to the American way of life as they understand it. Social conservatives themselves have largely accepted that, with the possible exception of abortion, the great battles have been lost for good. Oberfegell will never be overturned even with nine votes on the Supreme Court. Instead the best that can be hoped for is a kind of recusancy, a limited accommodation for a few hundred thousand families who cling to traditions that in the decades to come will appear as bizarre as those of the Pennsylvania Dutch.
    more at the link

17. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

just like assasins and hitmen right?

thats their f*in jobs!!!

18. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Except they are not. Nor are they plumbers or electricians. They are PR people, like all other PR people that spin things for whomever they speak for.

19. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

spin? so what she said were simply spins? not opposite of the truth?

so isn't the job of an administration be honest and transparent to the people?

20. apollo33

apollo33 Member

She is suppose to represent the Trump administration. Are you saying the Trump Administration is honest and transparent to the people? I thought she was a perfect mouth for Trump's rhetoric.