1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

STARZ: Power

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by gfab-babyboi, Jul 27, 2014.

Tags:
  1. gfab-babyboi

gfab-babyboi Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I didnt see a thread about this show, but damn it is good.

Has alot of folks from THE WIRE in it, same type of feel. CatchUp while you guys can.

2. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I am not sure about it . . ..
    seems like yet another DRUG DEALER TRYING TO GO LEGIT story
    that is all too often a 'African American' troupe.

Rocket River
    Been there Done that

3. Drizno

Drizno Rookie

Being that 'The Wire' is my second favorite show, I did not see similarities or "same feel" to it. I saw 2 episodes and it didn't hook me like The Wire. At all. Maybe I'll binge watch for entertainment purposes later on(50 Cent IS the most entertaining whatever, regardless what you may think of his music). 'Power' didn't have any substance to it and the characters were just not believable in my opinion.

4. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

how many "black drug dealere trying to go legit" shows are there?

5. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

enough to know its played out . .
    it is almost like a black remake of the GodFather theme

Alot of those type of movies are low level and maybe seen on netflix
    but never make it to the big screen

All that said. . . it just started off sounding unappealing

Rocket River

6. body slam

body slam Member

Funny I thought The Wire started out really slow. It took me several tries before I got through the first couple of episodes. Once it got rolling it was a great show.

7. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

can you list them? because i can't think of many besides the wire. of course there are movies. and there's plenty of good shows that have similar premise to movies. Cop, zombies, drugs, crime, ect... All have been over done in movies.

8. gfab-babyboi

gfab-babyboi Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

to me its not about a BLACK drug dealer trying to go legit. Im going to try and do this without spoilers

Its more about a man that is maturing and growing and realizing that he can be more...and starting to see, that the people around him, arnt.

Its about a bestfriend who puts loyalty above everything but also has alot of trust issues and anger issues that havent been explored yet.

I can go on about 2-3 other people on the show...yes it started off slow the 1st 2-3 eps. but they had to flesh out things...same with any book series you pickup. 1st book is normally very slow for about 10 chapters..then boom.

It actually starting out about the same pace as Ray Donovan another good show that I enjoy

9. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Belly
    Sugar Hill
    Menance To Society
    type of movies. . . not an insane amount but enough

Rocket River

10. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I will probably check it out
    Friends of mine had kind of poo poo'd it
    So I was not thrilled

I like Ray Donovan . .. so I might like this one
    Looking for something . .. . . different esp with minority characters
    but
    its the summer. . .it suppose to have sucky shows

Rocket River

11. Creepy Crawl

Creepy Crawl Member

I tried watching it, but I couldn't really get into it. I watched the first 3 episodes, and none of the characters really grabbed my attention, and made me care about them. Maybe after the season is over, I'll pick it back up and give it another go by watching them all one after another.

12. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

I meant TV Shows. I don't think there are that many. And those are all good movies to me. My point is, just because its a theme thats been done, doesn't mean it can't be good. So if its a TV series carrying this similar theme, I will at least give it a chance.

1 person likes this.
  13. JJ

JJ Member

I started watching it during episode 4 and went back to watch from the beginning. I think its a great show, and have looked forward to new episodes. The main character is definitely living a double life and trying to go legit. Typical twists and turns plus side piece drama... its an entertaining show with good music, IMO.

Also like Ray Donovan and see some similarities between the two shows.