1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

starting to lose my hair

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by God's Son, Jan 16, 2009.

Tags:
  1. Sooner423

Sooner423 Contributing Member

Wow, that stuff has great reviews. I might give it a shot, although mine isn't bad at all yet.

2. BigSherv

BigSherv Contributing Member

propecia...nothing else works.

3. aussiejack

aussiejack Member

your options:

1. eat the heart of a mexican virgin girl and according to folklore...your hair will grow back

2. go for the black man look...shave it

3. go and speak to your doctor

4. Ari

Ari Member

I have somewhat of a similar condition as the OP, so I would be interested to know if propecia or something else actually worked for some of you here.

I read about propecia and mostly it seems like you need to take it for six months at least to see any real benefit. At $60 a month that is up to $700 a year..thats a lot of money

5. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

It's that or shave your head. :D

6. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

Shave it with a 1/2 guard every week. I started losing mine at about 19 but didn't start shaving it until a few months ago, when I was 29. I SO wish I would have started doing it sooner. Looks a hell of a lot better, and makes getting ready incredibly easy.

7. Ace

Ace Contributing Member

The Big Three. 1. Propecia. 2. Rogaine 3. Nizoral Shampoo optional 4. LLLT

8. redefined

redefined Contributing Member

Exactly. We're lucky it's not the 70s anymore. Buzz/short hair is in fashion these days too. My damn gf made me shave me head because she didn't like the bald spots, and I wish I did it sooner.

Even my friends who aren't going bald liked the look and went out and got their heads shaved after seeing how easy I had it. For some reason it feels more hygienic too.

9. Rule0001

Rule0001 Contributing Member

try having this problem starting when you were 19... lol

22 now :eek:

... Really? That's exactly when I started losing it. I've used just whatever's in the shower though so the shampoos have varied. Does it help balding in the front??

10. bladeage

bladeage Contributing Member

That actually doesn't work. I've lost more hair since that event.

11. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

I just had a lot of thinning up top. Apparently (according to the guy who cuts my hair) Pantene Pro-V is REALLY bad for your hair. Considering that I shower twice a day and would shampoo/condition every time I got into the shower, my hair took a beating.

Now I shampoo and condition every other day with Nioxin. It's expensive, but I think it works really well.

12. Samar

Samar Contributing Member

These are the ONLY options you have, I am going to put them in the order of first to last resorts:

1) Start using Nioxin, similar concept to Rogaine plus makes your hair look a little thicker for a few hours after a shower.

2) Rogaine: only works on the bald spot at the back of your head (crown). So if that is the only problem area, start this.

3) Propecia: The only thing that will actually solve the hair loss problem, but only as long as you keep taking it. To make it cheaper, you can take a finasteride pill and split it into 4 or 5. A couple of side effects that people try to scare you with, but it is in less than 2% of people (or something like that) and will go away once you stop using it. I took my chances with that and was fine.

4) Hair Implants: My buddy whose hair loss was significantly worse than mine did this and now that b*stard has a nice thick head of hair. I will probably resort to this when I have more money and if 1-3 stop working.

Anything else that someone tells you to take is just bull****. No all natural herbs or vitamins will help it. Genetics is just a cruel b****.

13. Ari

Ari Member

Is this what a finasteride pill is?

https://www.canadadrugpharmacy.com/v1/cart.asp?method=cart.viewcart

That site has 100 pills (1 mg dosage) for $100. Do you split each pill into 4 or 5 0r do you just take 1 pill a day pretty much forever?

Thanks for the suggestions

14. Faos

Faos Contributing Member

You're not "losing hair", that's a myth.

It just stops growing on your head and starts growing thicker in your nose and ears.

Invest in a good pair of tweezers.

15. Samar

Samar Contributing Member

Propecia is 1mg finasteride. The generic finasteride is right now used for prostate enlargement and comes in 5mg pills. I cut them into 4 and take 1 piece a day. I estimate I lose about 1mg in the cutting process anyway.

I do not trust those online pharmacy companies. Just get the prescription and go to your local drug store. It is $90 for 30 tablets, so that should last you 4 months. If that money you save from an online pharmacy is worth your health, then go ahead and take that risk. I do not.

Also, propecia itself should not be too expensive forever. Dec. 12, 2012 is when the patent for it runs out. So hopefully it will drop in price soon enough.

16. Nolen

Nolen Contributing Member

Finasteride (the drug found in Propecia and Proscar) is the only clinically proven drug to slow or stop hair loss.

Rogaine is the only clinically proven drug to spur hair growth, but will not affect the decrease of naturally thinning hair.

To overgeneralize, Finasteride will slow or stop the thinning process, but won't grow much hair back. Rogaine will spur growth, but won't stop the thinning process.

Both of these drugs will lose their effect when you stop taking them. In other words, so long as you want to enjoy the effects, you're taking them for life, cause once you stop, your scalp is gonna go to wherever it would naturally be. Well, you won't take them for life, because we will likely see some advances in the coming years with stem cells or something like that. There's a lot of money in cosmetic medicine, something will come up.

Hair transplant is by far the most expensive and most effective. A friend of mine did it, had several thousand hairs (which only amounted to a two inch line in the back, invisible) taken from the back of his head and placed around his temples. Cost him like $5000.

Propecia is identical to Proscar, but Propecia is 1mg finasteride and Proscar is 5mg finasteride. Proscar came fist, was used to treat prostate enlargement. Then they saw the side effect on hair, shrank the dosage to 1mg and jacked up the price. Just buy Proscar or a generic equivalent and get a pill cutter to cut it into fifths. Just got a doctor to prescribe proscar for me this week with the understanding I'd cut it up.

17. Codman

Codman Contributing Member

best advice in this thread by far. I'm on that regimen right now. I'm slowly seeing some results, although I wasn't really losing much hair. I just decided that it was better to start earlier than later.

18. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

Try popularizing the "reverse mohawk" hair-do.

19. Ari

Ari Member

Right, but the generic finasteride pill sold in the link is a 1mg dosage, so I guess that would be one pill a day?

20. MoonDogg

MoonDogg Member

Here's a couple of options:

[​IMG]

or go for the natural look...
    [​IMG]

but seriously, skip the chemicals and drugs. Shave it and find a chick that digs the look. While your at it.....shave mr winkie too.