1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Starting to Hate KILT 610 AM

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Jeff, Aug 8, 2001.

1. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Jeff,

Having never heard the guy (at least not that I know of), what was up with his voice?

2. Timing

Timing Member

I usually listen to the afternoon guys and I haven't really noticed what you guys are talking about. They've always done non-sports stuff when things were slow. I remember months ago they had this thing on the top 100 films. That went on for about a week. I'd like to see them dump Rich Lord though. The guy has nothing to add usually except the preverbial "it's possible" or "you could make a case" lines. It gets very tiring to hear him fluff his way through callers questions with stuff like that. Charlie is top notch even though he gets on name calling tirades sometimes.

3. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

I never listen to them, but I will say this:

The waitresses at the Pink Taco in the Hard Rock Hotel in Vegas have got to collectively have the biggest boobs money can buy.

4. Slumpbusters

Slumpbusters Member

Adam Wexler did the morning show on STAR610 before John and Lance in the morning. He knew his stuff. At 6am I guess no one's voice projects very well, but if the alternative is the morning zoo crew, I vote for Droopy.

5. AJ22

AJ22 Member

Sorry to his this Jeff. I always bragged about the sports talk in Houston to these dallas people, but they always seemed disinterested. Of coarse this was after I told them that their sports talk radio sucked. :) They would tell me that they liked this kind of garbage ie; what was aikman wearing & such. Hell I remember one time the ticket had this one guy going door to door in highland park (like River Oaks in Houston) asking people if they would let him inside & give him something to eat & drink. WTF?

Anyways just my .02. By the way, if any of you dallas guys want
    another choice besides 1190 AM which I also listen to, you can
    flip back & forth to ESPN radio on 103.3 FM

6. mrpaige

mrpaige Member

The thing is, though, that the guy talk gets ratings that straight sports talk can never hope to achieve. That's the reason more and more stations are moving to more guy talk (and have over the years. It's not just a Dallas thing by a long shot). They reach their target demos more effectively and they become a cash cow. Like it or not (I happen to prefer it, nothing I hate more than hours on end of talk about the back-up point guard and calls about trades that will never, ever happen), it's what gets ratings more often than not (time will tell whether it works in Houston, but 610's ratings have little room to drop any further, at least based on the last time I looked).

7. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

He just has a nasal-y voice. It never bothered me at all and he is EXTREMELY knowledgeable. I was sorry to see him go. He writes for Sporting News now, so that seems better to me.

8. AJ22

AJ22 Member

You know I don't really care if having an all guy talk show reaches it's target demo & is a cash cow. Nothing I hate more than just hours & hours of lame subject matter & this comes from a station (Ticket) that proclaims it's a sports show? This is what gets me, if they are going to use such drivel, call it anything but a sports station. Then I & whomever else will not tune into what we know and perceive to be crap talk. If I want to know who the newest Hooters girl is, I'll visit the place. However, If I want to hear about the most recent sports issue, I expect to hear it from a true sports talk show. Something you will never hear from a B.S. show that insinuates that it is sports talk & has the most current breaking news about their teams. Just yesterday, nary a word was mentined about the Mavs being involved w/the 3 team trade @ the Ticket. Instead they opted for (what a shock) entertainment news. If I want pizza, I don't go to Red Lobster. Man, if you promote your station as sports talk then do it. If not, then call it something else & quit trying to pass it off as such.

9. RocksMillenium

Actually "guy talk" radio doesn't get anymore ratings then a straight up sports talk radio. If it is balanced properly it would work, like Jim Rome. I guarantee that "guy talk" radio's ratings will eventually dip because people will tire of it and want to talk sports, especially when basketball season starts, or the Astro's pennant chase heats up in late September.

10. deepellumrocket

Well, I just moved to Dallas from Houston back in February, and I'll admit that it took me a little while to warm up to 1310 The Ticket. Now that I've realized that it's not sports talk and is really just guy talk, I love it. It's all I listen to to and from work. If I want to hear sports we have both Fox Sports radio and an ESPN radio affiliates here. Also, I don't really care to hear in-depth analysis of the Rangers and the Cowboys anyway. I'm a Houston fan!

Since I mainly hear the morning and afternoon drive-time shows, I'll share with you my comparisons to the *610 equivalents. Keep in mind, this was before the format change. In the morning, John and Lance have the edge over The Ticket's Dunham and Miller show. John and Lance used to actually talked sports, had great chemistry, and were genuinely funny. But, in the afternoon, The Hardline blows away Rich and Charlie. Bits like "Fun with Old People", The Overcusser, and Obvious Man are pee-in-your-pants funny. Certainly, it's a little like comparing apples and oranges, but it sounds to me like *610 are coming around to The Ticket's way of thinking. We'll see just how that flies in Houston.

#30 deepellumrocket, Aug 11, 2001
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2001
  11. boy

boy Member

I didn't really like Mat and Jeremys program until just recently and now it got cancelled.

I don't knwo I just don't like what they have done and are doing...the DC people are sick. It's not sports talk period. I don't know but if we all do complain and stop listening they have to listen to us. Since we are the group that listens and make them money.

12. MadMax

MadMax Member

boy -- agreed...that's really all you can do...just stop listening. I haven't stopped listening completely...but I certainly don't listen like I used to. I usually keep it on as background at my office while I work (can't work without background noise!!). I found myself popping in CD's almost all day long by mid-week last week. I usually turn of Rome anyway because his schtick has gotten so old it's ridiculous...but when I hear he's going to have on an interview I care about, I'll tune in. But by 2, when local programming starts up again, I was usually always switching over back to 610. No longer.....and I used to call in about once a month and emailed in pretty regularly...so I was a pretty big fan of the station. Sad to see it go....bring on ESPN radio!

13. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

Just an update...

I've spoken to a number of people who have told me that, pretty much all-around, the show hosts HATE this new format but they have NO choice in the matter. The station has told them that this is the way they are headed and they want them to talk less sports and more bull****.

They want it to be "wacky." Oh, great!

As Max said, "Bring on ESPN!"

14. Mango

Mango Member

Jeff,

How much of an impact has sports BBS sites such as CC had on the sports talk (call-in) shows?

I don't frequent any Astros interest sites, so it is hard for me to gauge how much the radio shows have lost to the 'Net.

Mango

15. MadMax

MadMax Member

Jeff -- they want it to be wacky??? oh, it's wacky alright! It's wacky that SportsRadio 610 barely talks about freaking sports anymore!!! Whatever!! Hire Psycho Robbie over there to replace Lance having to go get people to buy him donuts!! How disappointing....put this thing out of its misery...or at least put me out of mine!

16. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

Actually, I think the net has helped. Adding email to the list of possibilities for participating (though Charlie and Rich are still net un-friendly despite their ads for Everyone's Internet) rather than subtracting.

Max: LOL! :D