1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Starting to Hate KILT 610 AM

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Jeff, Aug 8, 2001.

1. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

It's bad enough that they replaced a local sports talk show with some bunch of jack asses talking about completely useless crap because some people think it is funny or interesting or whatever. But, now it seems that the dictate is for ALL the local shows to do the same thing.

This morning, Lance, John and Russ spoke on the air about how easy their job is now because all they have to do is sit around and talk bull**** for 4 hours. No preparing. No worries about sports. Just talk ****! I heard a full hour of "punchline radio" because they thought it would be funny for people to just say their favorite punchlines. NOT funny.

Then, yesterday, while I'm working out in my office, I get treated to an hour of "which country and western singer should sing the national anthem at the first Texans game?" on Rich and Charlie's show. They talk about that and movies they saw and Macy Gray. I mean, WTF!!!??? Why even advertise it as "Houston's Only Sports Radio Station" if it isn't!?

I know Lance, Rich and Charlie personally. I know Jeremy Foster and David Dalati as well. They are all really nice people and they can be funny when it is in context but there is a reason Loren Michaels won't be inking them to a contract as a regular on Saturday Night Live next season. They are SPORTS people who should be talking about sports.

It reminds me of Richie Sambora from Bon Jovi (bear with me, this has an analogy). He was fine as a back up to Jon Bon Jovi. He would to the occassional back up wail on his own or harmony. But, when he stepped out to do his own record, his voice sucked! Why? He was never designed to be a front man. Some people can pull it off and other cannot.

Some people were meant to be funny in the context of their work (like sports talk) kind of as an afterthought and others were meant to be FUNNY all the time. Rich and Charlie, God help me, even talked about what comedians they should have on the show as if this is a good thing! Even Rome talks MOSTLY sports.

ARRRGGGGHHHHH!!!! :mad:

(rant over) :)

2. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Member

I agree Jeff, as I was coming home from my sales meeting I turned to the station as I usually do, and all I heard was them talking **** about their catch phrase?!? I understand its a slow time in sports, but come on. Let's be more professional and try to improve the show's content. Let's stop with the overly done sexual innuendos about sexy raspy voices and idiotic chat. Good post Jeff, let's hope they hear us.

3. sirhangover

sirhangover Member

it sounds like they are trying to be like the ticket 1310 in dallas..

i never got used to the ticket as they did gossip radio and it sounded like a bunch of girls talking..

'did you see what troy aikman was wearing?' 'well that girl he was with had nice knockers' kind of stuff..

they had no sports takes except the new flash..ore the occasional 'michael finley is good' ..people in dallas love it but then again thats dallas..

i admit its funny but the level of sports talk in Houston and the fact that they actually talked sports always used to underscore my overall mentality that dallas people were a bunch of idiots and we actually talked about the game and issues directly related to the sport..more educated/interesting i always thought..
    610 seemed to do well with that and it was another reason ( on top of 50 others ) I felt houston was superior to dallas..

maybe from this angle we are not all that better...

truly sad... by the way rome annoys me that he spends a lot of time with boring gossip..he does have more sports than 1310 in dallas but the style is similar..

we are dealing with people that think they know and can define 'hip'

lance z and russ small talking anything hip...is definitely not hip at all..

neither is that lard a$$ hick greggo on 1310 in dallas

4. rockHEAD

rockHEAD Member

oh man... Jeff I agree!
    Yesterday on the way home, they were reading the names of the Secretary of the Treasury and Treasurer of the U.S., off of dollar bills??

What the hell was that?
    I drove all the way home and I think the only sports I heard was from the Sports Update (Sports Flash) they play every so often...

WEAK!!!!!!!!

rH

5. Rocketball

Rocketball Member
    Supporting Member

Jeff,

Like everyone else here, I agree with you 100%. For awhile there my wife thought my radio in my car was stuck on 610 AM, since that is all I listened too. I love listening to all the sports talk, but that has all changed the last couple of days. The shows have gotten way out of hand, hardly talking about sports, more time spend on seeing how many sexual inuendos they can get in a segment.

I now find myself listening to music more, and no longer 610. If they every go back to being sports talk radio, then I'll come back, till then, I guess I either go FM or move down the dial to 740 or 950. At least when they have sports on they talk about sports.

Well, anyways wanted to put my two cents in, and let you know that I agree with you. Hopefully, they will wake up and realize the shows are terrible right now, and that they need to go back to the old format. Quit changing it....

6. MoonBus

MoonBus Member

Rocketball, you can forget about 950, they don't have anymore sports talk.

This has been going on for a while, but has anyone listen to Russ on Friday mornings? Sports Trivia, that's what you get. Maybe it's just me, but I don't care to have an hour worth of sports trivia on my drive to work.

You guys are right, 610 is not as enjoyable as it once was. I actually find myself missing the Rome hours since I can't receive it here at work.

7. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

This from Ken Hoffman's Chronicle column yesterday...

<i>Sports talk KILT (610 AM) has started its new focus on "personality radio" or "guy talk," or whatever you want to call it.

On Monday morning's show, the hosts talked about sex, rednecks, prison sex and childhood memories of a schoolmate vomiting Vienna sausages. They mixed in some sports, too. I think the new focus will work. There's an audience for this in Houston.

Co-host Lance Zierlein stood on the corner of Richmond and Weslayan and begged listeners to bring him a breakfast taco.

KRBE (104.1 FM) wacky stunt guy "Psycho Robbie" should sue for trademark infringement.

I can't wait for Friday's golf show on KILT.

"Hey, check out the gams on Annika Sorenstam!"</i>

8. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Bingo.

Houston sports fans, get ready for some of the worst sports talk to hit the city if this is true. Thank God for Internet streaming audio and ESPN radio... :mad:

9. MadMax

MadMax Member

Jeff -- this is soooo funny!! I was planning on posting a thread here about this subject...you beat me to it.

Someone said they're trying to be like the Ticket in Dallas. Couldn't agree more. The odd thing is the hosts on 610 have generally ragged on the state of sports radio in Dallas saying that they never talk sports...yet that's exactly the direction they're headed. Listening these last few mornings, I might as well have been listening to the Sam Malone show on KRBE. I have defended 610 to my Dallas friends and others many, many times. But no longer. This station is beginning to suck in a big way!

I heard that long episode yesterday about who sang the first anthem at Enron..and who would sing the first at Reliant. How boring is that??? Whoever gives a damn, please raise your hand!!! If Houston had another sports radio alternative, this wouldn't be a big deal. They would need to differentiate themselves somewhat along certain lines. But when 610 is the only game in town, you're stuck with it if you like sports radio. They should go back to being called Star610...because SportsRadio610 clearly isn't fitting.

10. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Member
    Supporting Member

I know what you are talking about, sirhangover. Living in Dallas, I listened to 1310 a little, and hated it. But there is another sports station here, 1190 AM, which I like infinitely more. They broadcast Jim Rome, which I like, and after Jim a guy named Fisher. The Fish is great, he openly discusses exactly what you are saying, Jeff. He talked about how he hates it when people call up and ask him to make more fart jokes, or joke around about women more often. He hates it, and only sticks to sports (although he talks WAY too much about the damn Cowboys...grrrr). I suggest you give it a listen if you are in Dallas.

11. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

EXACTLY!!!! I can't remember how many times I heard Rich and Charlie get a call from someone saying, "I was up in Dallas and I really came to appreciate how good you guys are." and them responding saying, "Well that's 'guy talk' not legitimate sports radio."

Now, they just look stupid.

By the way, I posted a link to this thread on AstrosConnection.com and the message board at HoustonProFootball.com. I thought it might be a good idea to solicit the opinions of other sports fans.

12. Smokey

Smokey Member

I tuned in one morning and heard about the busty waitresses in Vegas. One guy couldn't stop laughing at the name of the restaurant - Pink Taco :rolleyes:

13. Vengeance

Vengeance Member

Maybe we oughta get a petition or something going for them to move back to the old fomat? I really liked the lineup they had before, especially the evening show. And the afternoon show has been pretty solid too, but I can already see its decline. I used to switch between Chris Baker and 610, but I'm loathe to even check 610, knowing I'd probably be wasting my time.

14. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

You can fax the station at 713-881-5499. Address it to KILT 610 AM and put it to the attention of the station operations manager, Bill Van Rysdam.

You can also email Lance Zerlein at lancez@ev1.net or Matt Jackson at mattj@ev1.net but remember that they are just hosts, not program directors. They just do what they are told, so don't shoot the messenger. :)

15. Wakko67

Wakko67 Member

I used to like the evening show with Matt & Jeremy and then they got cancelled. I don't know why because they had both personality and sports. So the other day I checked to see what replaced it and find some stupid show called "the sports junkies" or something like that. I'm not to big on national shows and used to enjoy 610, but lately I've been tuning out. :mad:

I'm even starting to look forward to the idiot bob kemp's show because at least it's sports talk even if he's a moron.

16. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Member

THIS SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I listened to 610 basically all day long. Now in the morning today i dont know what the hell they were talking about! Why the hell did they decide to change their format? Who the hell is going to listen to this garbage now? And I think I noticed today that they say Star610 before flashes instead of SportsRadio610. But that might be just my imagination.

17. RichRocket

RichRocket Member

This may date me, but what happend to "Hudson and Harrigan?"

18. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

Yes, it does! :)

Actually, they are on KILT <i>FM</i>, which is country and western. The AM is sports talk...err...WAS sports talk.

19. Ty_Webb

Ty_Webb Member

I don't understand the love fest with Matt and Jeremy. They were OK, but unless you are under the age of about 20, they weren’t very funny. Neither was overly knowledgeable either.

I do perfer LOCAL sports talk over anything national so I am disappointed that they are gone. (disclaimer, I enjoy national, international, etc… over that moron Cris Odonnel(sp) on 740…..she is HORRIBLE!)

Wexler was MUCH better, professionally and knowledge wise, than either Matt or Jermey. Wexler’s voice though….

As long as Kenny Hand doesn’t rise from the ashes, (beer stained titty bar floor) then I can put up with just about anything.

20. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

I think local vs national was the real issue rather than Matt y Jeremy vs Guy Talk (whatever). I TOTALLY agree on Adam Wexler. He was really terrific. His voice is what lost him his job IMO.