1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Starting Point Guard

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by WhoMikeJames, Oct 23, 2007.

?

If you were head coach, who would you starting PG be?

1. Rafer Alston

262 vote(s)
    62.8%
  2. Mike James

70 vote(s)
    16.8%
  3. Steve Francis

85 vote(s)
    20.4%
  1. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

Right now Rafer is outplaying all others , no doubt. But is he fools gold? In the past he has been inconsistent to say the least and at worst he has been disastrous when it counted most. What makes him different. Sure he worked hard in the offseason.. ANd he is more comfortable with the team but why should we think he will not revert back to his inconsistent stinky play.

On the other hand what made him such a liability was his role as our third option. Other teams knew that so they doubled Yao and Tmac and said come on Rafer let's see you beat us. He should never be a third option on any NBA team. That was Van Dummy's doing but I don't see Adelman making the same mistake. Especially since we have so many better options before him. Bonzi, Battier, Scola, Head, James. So maybe there is a place on this team for Rafer. If he knows his role to pass first. ANd accepts limited minutes. Still I am fearful of fool's gold and Rafer getting most of the minutes come playoff time.

#41 Old Man Rock, Oct 24, 2007
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2007
  2. Noely1984

Noely1984 Member

If Warriors' Nelson coach us, Francis will def be the starting PG and Steve will play as good as Baron Davis. Cuz Rafer and Mike can never be that good.

3. Noely1984

Noely1984 Member

If i'm the coach, I'll play Ste-Mac the same role as BD-JRich. and we still have inside power from big man like Yao when Ste-Mac couldn't run the offense well or when the shooters suck like in Jazz series. It'll be amazing...

4. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Steve is amazing at taking his guy one-on-one, but that's it.

He still takes up WAY too much time and is not playing Adelman's offense.

Not to mention that he got torched repeatedly by some no-name dude.

5. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Alston all Rockets need at point guard

The three qualities that should be valued most in an NBA point guard are, in order — handle, passing ability and shooting.
    So why were the Rockets so intent on finding someone other than Rafer Alston to hold the keys of a team so well-equipped in virtually every other way?

Alston personifies those qualities in every way. He cannot be considered a premier NBA point guard, but a premier guard would command more shots. That is, take shots away from bigger, more important stars and shooters on this Rockets team.

Alston is, instead, what the Rockets need, but apparently do not always want. He keeps the ball on a string, is equally adept at going left and right, drives, splits double teams and breaks pressure.

His offensive mentality since his blacktop days, when he earned the nickname "Skip To My Lou," has been pass first.

And though you could argue he has yet to become the shooter he should be, Alston has made dramatic steps, knocking down shots, as his second-half effort (15 points) in Wednesday's season-opening loss at Utah would attest.

Besides, on a team that features Yao Ming and Tracy McGrady and added nice weapons in Bonzi Wells, Shane Battier and Kirk Snyder, along with shooters Steve Novak and Scott Padgett, what more would you want from the point?

Something missing

Apparently, something.

This will be the most important season of Alston's career, if only because he's been the object of so much rumor and doubt.

The Rockets tried desperately to get Mike James in the offseason, before the former Rockets guard signed with Minnesota.

When that didn't work out, they signed Greek star Vassilis Spanoulis, announcing early they hoped he would become, "a rotation player" and praying he would. He hasn't.

They signed John Lucas III and sent him to the Las Vegas Summer League in hopes of his developing into a rotation role at the point. They extended the contract of Luther Head, a natural off guard they have tried to fit into the point role in the past.

They even released Ryan Bowen, a proven role player, to save a roster spot for point guard Bob Sura, 33, whose work toward recovery from knee surgery has been remarkable, but remains a long shot to return.

And, of course, come crunch time, the Rockets always have taken the ball out of Alston's hands and run McGrady at the point.

Over and over, the Rockets sent subtle and not-so-subtle messages to Alston that he was their man, but likely only until a better option came along.

"They were trying to go in another direction, maybe not totally, but were looking for another one maybe to start," Alston said. "I looked at it all summer."

With the home opener tonight, it has become clear Alston might not be the Rockets' one and only, but he is the starting one.

Equally as clear: Despite the big additions and big stars, the key to it all for the Rockets this year is the immensely skilled, but often-doubted point guard whose status as the starter should be considered shaky.

Alston must prove them wrong and somehow find a way to break free from entrenched perceptions and doubts about his game.

That whole Skip To My Lou street-ball reputation has hindered Alston his entire career. In truth, on most NBA nights there is not a more deliberate, unspectacular player on the floor than Alston.

He's in fact the anti-Skip To My Lou in demeanor and approach. Yet among the shortcomings often rattled off about his game — and he hears them all — are that he has yet to rein in the street ball. Nothing could be further from the truth.

The more legitimate doubt might be Alston's abilities as an outside scorer, but he has made strides and scored all his 15 points in the second half in Wednesday's loss, helping spark the ill-fated Rockets comeback.

The Rockets keep looking. Fans keep wondering: When's Spanoulis going to be ready? Why doesn't Lucas get some time? If only the Rockets had a better point guard.

"People want shooters," Alston said. "People love the scoring point guards. That's the way of the league. You have your (Stephon) Marbury, you have Baron Davis, Allen Iverson. People aren't into the true, natural point guards.

Natural point

"That's my game. I've got so many weapons. I know how to get them the ball. But the general public might not like that."

Here's Alston, who finished 10th in the NBA in assists and eighth in turnover ratio among point guards who averaged more than 34 minutes per game last season. He's still holding the keys. Still often doubted.

"I've been among the leaders," Alston said. "Tenth in assists? And they still were trying to find someone else. If you're going to find another one, he'd better be in the first nine."

If the Rockets are going to reach a higher level this season, it's not just fans and critics Alston must convince. It's his bosses.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/lopez/rockets/4310037.html

6. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

Agree 100%. I see Francis eventually taking over the position.

7. JeopardE

JeopardE Contributing Member

Not if he keeps playing matador defense like last night, I hope not. Don't get me wrong -- I loved the flashbacks of vintage Stevie, breaking down defenses, getting to the rim at will, acrobatic finishes. But it seemed every time he did that, Kyle Lowry would just flat out embarrass him on the other end again. From a point guard as big and athletic as Stevie, you expect much better. That kind of defense loses you games ... lots of games to teams you shouldn't be losing to.

8. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

Mike James is shot happy

Rafer has no reliable shot

Stevie needs to be shot with his decision making lately.

9. Tmac'sJealousy

trade alston and james for somebody named steve nash.

then start both stevies at the back court

play tracy at 3.

CHEA!

10. EssTooKayTD

EssTooKayTD Contributing Member

It's amazing the amount or regurgitation around here. Just look at the facts. Rafer is has a good assist to turnover ratio. He is the best ballhandler we have. His 3pt percentage is actually decent. Don't know why people think it's bad. His 2pt percentage is ass, but that's why we have TMac and Yao. Francis or James starting would just clog up the interior for our stars and also take shots away from them. Give the job to the person who has earned it until someone takes it from him.

11. Barkley

Barkley Member

Than trade Scola and Snyder and Novak for Bryant...Dream team?

12. AstroRocket

AstroRocket Member

Way to twist someone's words. What he said was he can't wait to see the threads here when Rafer inevitably does start sucking.

13. T-mac&Yao=RING

T-mac&Yao=RING Contributing Member

Its funny how most of the people(66%) say Rafer Alston should be the starter. But I will say one thing that no NBA team will win a ring with Rafer Alston as their starting PG. So my pick will go to Steve Francis.

14. johnrox

johnrox Member

TRADE RAFER! TRADE HIM NOW!

15. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

I think folks need to go back and reread their OWN posts from 6 months ago regarding Raefer. Yeh, JL3 looked great at the summer league his rookie year, Raef is having a good PRESEASON, I'll put my money on James who played solidly when last with the Rox and Francis with a couple months of gametime to get in the swing of things. wasnt it just last year everyone was b****in that Raefer had the worst shooting % of a Rocket - ever, or somesuch? A few good preseason games don't wipe away my memory of last year.

16. ikfit

ikfit Member

I choose for SF, why? RA needs presures. Look at RA's first few games, he plays great, after he got sure his position, then he played so so. :D

17. Barkley

Barkley Member

Rafer Alston's game makes me cry. Damn every time I see him shootin' that open jumpers it's just sad for me.

Rafer do not shoot, be a playmaker

18. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

We tried moving RA all offseason (once we acquired mj, sf and ab)... no takers... if no other gms WANT raefer, why is he STARTING for us? All last season everyone complained that ra sucked (worst shooting % blah blah blah) and that we needed another scoring option - james can create - and Raefer cant shoot - end of story. Give sf3 a month or so to get to form and he and james make a solid combo (with ab in the wings).

19. MR. MEOWGI

MR. MEOWGI Contributing Member

Becuase the coach knows what he is doing.

20. mag

mag Contributing Member

He is starting because MJ and SF are not any better.