1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Starting Point Guard

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by WhoMikeJames, Oct 23, 2007.

?

If you were head coach, who would you starting PG be?

1. Rafer Alston

262 vote(s)
    62.8%
  2. Mike James

70 vote(s)
    16.8%
  3. Steve Francis

85 vote(s)
    20.4%
  1. TTRocket

TTRocket Contributing Member

This is the preseason buddy, and out of 3 games against NBA teams, he shot 1-6 with 2 assists in one of them. He is an offensive liability, that will never change. My worst nightmare after our wonderfull offseason was that Rafer would still be our best option. Kinda like how 2 years ago my worst nightmare was Juwan would be our best option when we acquired Swift. I just hope it's not coming true.

2. ThePrivate

ThePrivate Member

seems like everybody is on rafer's bandwagon right now. can't wait to see the threads start up when the regular season starts and rafer starts sucking again, having low assist numbers, shooting bricks from the 3 pt line, and shooting that awful looking running shot put of his.

3. H-TownBBall

H-TownBBall Member

And at that point we will have at least 2 other options to turn to. However, as of now it is Rafer's job to lose.

4. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

If anyone saw, heard or even followed the stats of this game there would be no need to ask this question. The answer is so obvious, even after all the bad things I have said about Alston! :p

5. Yetti

It's Coach A's responsibility to ensure that he doesn't do this !!!
    JVG made no effort to correct this last season. :p

6. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Another guy who can't wait until a player who has played well to start sucking.

The Rockets have great fans.

7. rayden

rayden Member

Hands down Rafer Alston. MJ is good with the second unit without Yao and T-Mac.

8. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

So from what I gather everyone is saying is...

It is what it is.

9. Yetti

By playing with the second unit as Point Guard how does this make him pass the ball to the open man?????
    If he doesn't do it with our best players then for sure he wont pass it to our second stringers. So I can't see how Mike James can play the Point Guard position while using the new game plan of Coach 'A'. :p

10. ABTRocketfan

ABTRocketfan Member

I voted for Rafer right now to start. For people that are saying look at what happened in tonights game is not fair, you can't base this off one game. Obviously this team will run more smooth hes been the starter for 2 years. As I think rafer gives us the best chance to win now, i think a few months that position will go to Steve Francis.

11. wizkid83

wizkid83 Contributing Member

The offense is smoother with Rafer out there.

12. Pest_Ctrl

Pest_Ctrl Member

Judging from the preseason, Rafer is currently best choice. But again he also had a good preseason last year. I think on opening night it is still going to be rafer, but as the season progresses mj might get the start.

Anyway, I'm pretty sure our starting point forward will be tracy mcgrady. :D

13. Streets 01

Streets 01 Member

To start: Rafer

To play the most minutes: James

To finish games: Rafer if we are winning, James if we are losing or it is close.

14. hotblooded

hotblooded Member

with your reasoning

3/4 of our lineups suk because they had one bad game

15. blaqnitti

blaqnitti Member

And what happened in the other games?

16. Barkley

Barkley Member

I made a thread like that earlier and I think it's a good question

No, MJ cannot start. Damn, this gay cannot pass, I'm not even sure if he knows what does "pass" mean. In the startin PG we need a player who will make the other players better, so right now I'd say Rafer Alston.

We need more James' shootin' skills off the bench.

17. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

It's really amazing how much can change in two months. Back in August after the two arrests and a roster overhaul that included the addition of three new PG's it seemed like there was not a chance in hell Rafer was still in our plans -- let alone the expected starter.

Good for him for working hard and defending his position with the team. I realize everybody is on his bandwagon right now and although I disagree with the 60-something percent of you that would make him the starter, I have no choice but to commend him for making a turn for the better.

My starter and player getting the most minutes at the point would be Mike James. I've been saying this for months now that he's going to be our best PG this year. He's going to remind a lot of people here of Jason Terry. No, not the 15-17 PPG but the same deadly shooting and scoring ability. Same above average but not spectacular playmaking skills. Same player that you might think settles too much for the jump shot but can burn you the second you don't respect him. Same player that plays with a ton of heart and is quick and skilled enough to match up with any guard defensively.

18. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

I guess everyone is remembering why we got rid of James?

19. MR. MEOWGI

MR. MEOWGI Contributing Member

Rafer is the lotion for the motion.

20. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Aaron Brooks.